FIDE rated tournament at Box Hill Chess Club

FIDE Rated tournament.

Box Hill Chess Club

27/April/2004 - 29/June/2004

9 rounds

Postponed games played 22/June/2004

10 player round robin

Games played Tuesday starting at 7.45pm

2 spots in the field will be reserved for players in REGIONAL Australia to play via electronic facilities.
    Expressions of interest are invited for these two positions.
    Requirements at the Regional location
    >Access to an account probably on ICC or FIC
    >>Qualified arbiter at Regional cost.
    >>>Regional arbiter will report to the Arbiter on location at Box Hill
    >>>>PC
    >>>>Mobile phone as back-up
    >>>>>One game out of 10 will be also against a Regional remote entrant. Logistics to be negotiated for this single game.

Possible requirement for DGT interface board if the Regional player wishes to play on a horizontal surface rather than via a PC screen.

Interested parties should ask questions via the BB on this thread, or PM to starter.
    This is the first year that Regional players will be able to play in the Box Hill tournament remote. So some logistics are still negotiable. Feel free to ask questions.

Last years field can be seen at http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2003/e0304tfr/event.htm
    Tournament conditions will be similar but may be minor change.
    Last edited by ursogr8; 05-02-2004 at 08:37 AM.

Account Permanently Banned

Technical direction by Gary Bekker

Pasted below is an e-mail from Gary Bekker who is assisting Box Hill make Regional involvement in the FIDE-rated round robin possible.

starter
    ----------------------
    Dear Gentlemen,
    I have contacted FIDE regarding the rating of a FIDE tournament where some games have been played via the internet. This does not appear to be a problem as long as all competitors are supervised. I will receive further confirmation from FIDE officials, about this, later in the week.

I have also checked the ICC website to find out about software which they have that could be used to automatically relay moves from a DGT sensory board. In this way, Box Hill players would just play as normal on a DGT board, and moves would be automatically be relayed to the server. Such a plug-in is available and is called "WoodIn". I have highlighted the details in bold below. I will download and test the plugin during the coming weeks and will then report back.

So far so good! All the best,

Gary Bekker

Horizontal or vertical

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    FIDE Rated tournament.

Box Hill Chess Club

27/April/2004 - 29/June/2004

9 rounds

Postponed games played 22/June/2004

10 player round robin

Games played Tuesday starting at 7.45pm

2 spots in the field will be reserved for players in REGIONAL Australia to play via electronic facilities.
    Expressions of interest are invited for these two positions.
    Requirements at the Regional location
    >Access to an account probably on ICC or FIC
    >>Qualified arbiter at Regional cost.
    >>>Regional arbiter will report to the Arbiter on location at Box Hill
    >>>>PC
    >>>>Mobile phone as back-up
    >>>>>One game out of 10 will be also against a Regional remote entrant. Logistics to be negotiated for this single game.

Possible requirement for DGT interface board if the Regional player wishes to play on a horizontal surface rather than via a PC screen.

Interested parties should ask questions via the BB on this thread, or PM to starter.
    This is the first year that Regional players will be able to play in the Box Hill tournament remote. So some logistics are still negotiable. Feel free to ask questions.

Last years field can be seen at http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2003/e0304tfr/event.htm
    Tournament conditions will be similar but may be minor change.
    I have had some PM enquiries as to whether it is necessary for the two regional entrants to have DGT electronic boards. The answer is no, not mandatory. It is quite feasible for the REMOTE player to play direct to vertical screen (that is the display of the chess board from the ICC site), instead of through the interface of a DGT board which is horizontal on the table. (The DGT board connects via software to the ICC site which is planned to be the governing software for the game). There are two options on clock time. One is to use clock-times on the ICC display, and the second option is treat the game as we used to treat telex games; i.e a clock at each site and moves made on the board by a 'runner'.

Further enquiries are encouraged.

This event is designed to allow participation for those players looking for a FIDE rating, but are generally unable to travel to appropriate venues.

starter

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Hi starter,

What are the requirements for a "qualified arbiter"? I would be keen to give it a go but there are no IAs down here and the most experienced arbiter in Tasmania is ... um ... me.

starter, if you received four or so ppl who wanted to be the regional entries, how would you work out who gets in?

ensuring fair play

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Hi starter,

What are the requirements for a "qualified arbiter"? I would be keen to give it a go but there are no IAs down here and the most experienced arbiter in Tasmania is ... um ... me.
    Kevin

The sole objective is to ensure fair play and to give the impression of fair play. Credentials would not be necessary. In fact, if a point of uncertainty arose during play then I think getting the remote 'arbiter' on the line to the central arbiter, who is qualified, would resolve any issues.
    I don't think your lack of an IA is a showstopper provided you can find a reliable 'observer(s)'.

regards
    starter

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    starter, if you received four or so ppl who wanted to be the regional entries, how would you work out who gets in?
    ra'ra'

We would have to get the brainstrust at this end to work out where scaling up would give us bottlenecks. They have not done the thinking to date. Off-hand......would we need 4 ICC accounts, 4 supervisors, 4 DGTs. May be possible. Do you want me to put to the organisers?

starter

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I don't think your lack of an IA is a showstopper provided you can find a reliable 'observer(s)'.
    I'll see if I can find anyone who wouldn't mind spending ten Tuesday nights just watching me play chess over the 'net. Could be tricky but I might raise it at our club AGM on Feb 25th and see if anyone's up for it.

I'll see if I can find anyone who wouldn't mind spending ten Tuesday nights just watching me play chess over the 'net. Could be tricky but I might raise it at our club AGM on Feb 25th and see if anyone's up for it.
    ill do it, but tca must pay for my airfares

Kevin

Err, aaar, uumm

A 10 player round-robin is actually 9 games.
    Aside from that little detail; note that 22 June is put aside for postponed games.

And another thing I don't understand; do you mean there are other things to do on a Tuesday night in Tasmania in the cold season? Watching you play chess would be a hit I thought.

starter
    BTW.......I had my honeymoon on Bruney Island........Tas. is actually really good.

you would freeze, mr perfect one day

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    ill do it, but tca must pay for my airfares
    rag'rag'

They have a saying in business in Tas.
    If you visit after April you are on actual business, if you visit before April you are just a tourist.

And did you mean 9 air-fares? You would need to fly back to Perfectimo each week to thaw out. :p

rag'rag'

They have a saying in business in Tas.
    If you visit after April you are on actual business, if you visit before April you are just a tourist.

And did you mean 9 air-fares? You would need to fly back to Perfectimo each week to thaw out. :p
    18 airfares :p i would like to get back to brisbane each week

FIDE now watching with interest.

Pasted below is an e-mail from Gary Bekker who is assisting Box Hill make Regional involvement in the FIDE-rated round robin possible.

starter
    ----------------------
    Dear Gentlemen,
    I have contacted FIDE regarding the rating of a FIDE tournament where some games have been played via the internet. This does not appear to be a problem as long as all competitors are supervised. I will receive further confirmation from FIDE officials, about this, later in the week.

I have also checked the ICC website to find out about software which they have that could be used to automatically relay moves from a DGT sensory board. In this way, Box Hill players would just play as normal on a DGT board, and moves would be automatically be relayed to the server. Such a plug-in is available and is called "WoodIn". I have highlighted the details in bold below. I will download and test the plugin during the coming weeks and will then report back.

So far so good! All the best,

Gary Bekker
    Later advice from Gary Bekker is that not only is FIDE willing to rate the Box Hill FIDE round-robin, where 1 or 2 of the 10 players play remote from Victoria, but they are asking for a report on 'lessons learned' from this interesting exercise. Of particular interest are the DGT boards and arbiter arrangements.

If any Western Australia participants are looking to establish a FIDE rating then this could be your chance.

starter

Expressions of interest invited

Pasted in below are the details of a FIDE rated event to be held at Box Hill.

----------------------------
    BOX HILL CHESS CLUB

2004 FIDE rated round robin tournament

Expressions of interest are requested from players wishing to participate
    in a Box Hill Chess club organised FIDE rated round robin tournament
    to be held at the club from April 27 to June 29

playing dates: April 27, May 4, 11, 18, 25, June 1, 8, 15, 29.
    June 22 is a postponed games night
    Players: Player selection by invitation following expressions of interest. Min. 4 FIDE rated players, max. 6 non FIDE rated players
    Starting time: Tuesdays 7.30 PM sharp
    Rate of Play: 90 minutes per game + 30 sec. per move from move 1
    Note: with this time-control the player is obliged to score until the end
    Entry fees: Entry fee for FIDE rated BHCC members: $20
    Visitors fee for non BHCC members $20
    Entry fee for non-FIDE rated BHCC members: $70
    Prize fund: First $80 Second $50 Third $30
    Ratings: All games will be ACF and FIDE rated.
    Note that it is an absolute requirement for the ratings that
    all games are played and no forfeits can be given or received.
    Postponements: Postponements should be arranged between players and the arbiter must be informed at all times.
    Note: there is a free night on June 24.
    Arbiter: Gerrit Hartland

Tournament: A 10 player round robin tournament, with players position in the draw decided by lot
    Draw: round 1: 1 v 10, 2 v 9, 3 v 8, 4 v 7, 5 v 6.
    round 2: 10 v 6, 7 v 5, 8 v 4, 9 v 3, 1 v 2.
    round 3: 2 v 10, 3 v 1, 4 v 9, 5 v 8, 6 v 7.
    round 4: 10 v 7, 8 v 6, 9 v 5, 1 v 4, 2 v 3.
    round 5: 3 v 10, 4 v 2, 5 v 1, 6 v 9, 7 v 8.
    round 6: 10 v 8, 9 v 7, 1 v 6, 2 v 5, 3 v 4.
    round 7: 4 v 10, 5 v 3, 6 v 2, 7 v 1, 8 v 9.
    round 8: 10 v 9, 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5.
    round 9: 5 v 10, 6 v 4, 7 v 3, 8 v 2, 9 v 1.

The ballot for numbers in the draw will be held on Tuesday April 20 after the completion of the Allegro tournament
    Disputes: In case of a dispute the president of the Club will appoint a disputes committee.
    Gerrit Hartland club captain

One Regional vacancy

The 10 player round-robin FIDE rated event has nearly a completed set of entrants. Continued interest from FIDE who want a report on the concept of regional players being admitted to such events in small numbers encourages us to seek one more Regional player.

Is there anyone in Ballarat (Bas), Bendigo (Max), Roma, Fiji, NZ, Dubbo dialling in here interested?

The concept sure beats having to pay airfares and accomodation to get a FIDE rating.

I heard second-hand that Ian Rogers had comments on the concept. Perhaps he could post here and discuss.

starter

Thread Information