My one hell of a famous game!!

My one hell of a famous game!

This goes like a movie script so take a deep breath and read on.

The final round of the All India Varsity chess championship(2002).
    This was a team event of four players on each team.

We were drawn to play the top seed of the event in the final round and needed two points to finish,
    well only second coz to win the event we needed to blank them 4-0.
    Finishing second was something big as the best our university could manage for all these years was 21st.

So what the fuss just offer them draw which I guess they would accept gladly after a rather long tourney.

The problem was that two of the players were vying for a board prize which they would get if they only win.

Some introduction to the players in our team.

Board no1: (unrated)
    Myself, A stupid chess addict who hardly played any tourneys, though I used to play pretty regularly on my comp and work with my coach Dr. Fritz(don’t be mistakened it’s the famous chess software)

Board no 2: (rating-2220)
    Another idiot who quit playin chess after getting two IM norms.

Board no 3: (rating-2056)
    A regular chess player with some great tactical knowledge.

Board no 4: (unrated)
    Good solid player.

Now our opponents:
    Board no 1: (IM rating-2409)
    Board no 2: (IM rating-2408)
    Baord no 3: (rating-2313)
    Board no 4: (rating-2256)
    Is any more introduction needed!

Board no 1 & 3 were playing for a win.

The match started Board 2 & 4 were the first to finish both were drawn.
    So we need a point more.

So after half an hour suddenly my pal board no 3 miscalculates and blunders a piece and within another 10 minutes the game is over.

We still need a point and I’m playin this IM who once had drawn Vishy and curses I’m playin Black.

In another 10 minutes I won !

To be honest my preparation in the najdorf line he played was simply as deep as the mariana trench.

It was a 2hours each game and I had used up just 10 minutes!
    So I had become a hero!

There were more surprises awaiting in the post mortem analysis, he said the move fe6 was new which had made him uncomfortable.

I rushed back to consult my coach’s assistant ,any guesses he is known as chessbase.

Well the move was a novelty after which he showed it was a great position for black.

Wow now that’s something a novelty played over the board that worked.

I had played many games playing fe6 with fritz and it was never played before by any grand master!

So the long tourney was over,yes I had many bad memories there as I was the only fresher in the team I had a very hard time with my stupid seniors bullying me and to add insult to injury I had beaten all of them badly in the playoff for deciding the board order.It was a tiring tourney as I played the top board playing very good players.I had also drawn against the then asian junior bronze medalist.

We had big celebrations that evening as it was a double treat as our girls had finished third in the girls section. It was one hell of a party.

Now I was the man of the moment back in college when the news spread I was a hero.

Everyone were asking questions about chess but one question which I felt very uncomfortable was when they asked me if I had beaten any GM’s.
    How is an urated player expected to play a GM. I got my rating after that tourney though.

This was then but now I have a better way of tackling that question. I have’nt played a GM yet but till now I have played with 7 IM’s winning four and drawing three.

So I say “I have’nt played a GM yet but I have never lost to an IM yet!”
    Here is that game I have analysed myself no variations but a lot of strategy !

White - MR(IM) (2409) Black - Myself[B99]
    All India Inter Varsity (9), 18.11.2002

PGN Viewer

So what’s so famous about this game the other IM in the team was so impressed by my analysis in the post mortem ,when I next saw him he came up to me and said he had shown my game to GM Levon Aronian and he was impressed too. Now wait a minute , why did u show him my game and how do you know him?

He said , We are good friends as they compete often in the junior circuits. I should have known as this guy was always winning the national junior title here.

Well he said he just wanted to know about the strength of Indian players so he showed the game where an unrated beat an IM.

What a dick I thought ,is it that a chess player has to have some stupid title to know how good he is? What about the players who enjoy the game at clubs, bars ,under the trees or even space remember what the Russians did.

That’s all right but who is this GM Levon Aronian , I went back and tried to find out about him , I got this piece of information he was from Armenia now a resident of Germany. Wow now that’s cool my game went to the far
    corners of Armenia!

Look how times change take up the name Levon Aronian now and they say the next world champ for sure!
    Nothing has changed my side though I still play only two, or three tourneys a year coz of my studies but still enjoy the game with my fritzy .

Here is something I believe will make you a better chess player,

Remember the movie A beautiful mind where John Nash says “classes will dull your mind”

Here’s my quote “Opening books will blunt your mind” not a good one, sorry that was the best I could come up with!

Play and learn from your mistakes and you can only do that if you enjoy playing!

THE END

It would be wonderful to look into your views about the game.

That's a nice game, congrats on the win. I really enjoyed that commentary too, haha.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

meep meep

The Man in the Back that Caesar guy's Avatar
    This was only the greatest commentary of all time. The grammatical innaccuracies only made it better

Nice game, too
    'And the man in the back said "Everyone attack!", and it turned into a ballroom blitz. And the girl in the corner said "Boy I wanna warn ya, it'll turn into a ballroom blitz." Brian Connolly

I'm amazed that such a game and a story attracted a big one response !!

CC FIDE Master
    Yes - nice post and game. Perhaps should add the line 24.Nxd3 Bxd4 25.cxd4 Bb7 26.Rhe1 into analysis.
    I guess hitman84 has moved on.
    Seems he was from India http://www.chesschat.com.au/showthread.php?t=3374
    I couldn't find this game in a DB. Perhaps it's on the web somewhere ?

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus
    ...I guess hitman84 has moved on...
    hitman84 posted a number of good chess game and training related threads/posts and got people talking about chess.

I vaguely recall he stopped posting soon after someone mentioned that he was a "hoax" in the shoutbox. (I am not sure what kind of hoax he was supposed to be).
    Said to be known to be roaming around.

CC Rookie
    Interesting game - shame hitman has apparently disappeared.

MM

Account Suspended

suspicious post

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    hitman84 posted a number of good chess game and training related threads/posts and got people talking about chess.

I vaguely recall he stopped posting soon after someone mentioned that he was a "hoax" in the shoutbox. (I am not sure what kind of hoax he was supposed to be).
    Can anyone establish with certainty that the game was actually played? It seems like a hoax to me.I doubt even Kasparov was able to do stuff like that when unrated.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DogLover
    Can anyone establish with certainty that the game was actually played? It seems like a hoax to me.I doubt even Kasparov was able to do stuff like that when unrated.
    here hitman84 gives his identity as TS Pradeep and the opponent as Marani Rajendran Venkatesh and links to the game at http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1382201 .

Venkatesh and Pradeep indeed both played FIDE-rated games in 2002 at which time Venkatesh's rating was indeed 2409 (Oct 2002). Venkatesh was 2408 the month before. Pradeep indeed was unrated coming on to the FIDE list at 2010 in October 2002.

The report here confirms that Venkatesh played in the tournament and confirms hitman's account that the final round score was 2-2 between the team finishing first and the team finishing second. And then this confirms that Pradeep was in the team that came second.

So not absolute confirmation (in particular not that they played this specific game, since games from the event seem hard to find) but apart from either a one-point error or a one-period error in the rating given for Venkatesh everything checks out that I have been easy to check and I believe the game is genuine. I don't see anything that is unbelievable about it either. IMs can have off days and 2000-ish players can have their days of brilliance - just not consistently!

It is easy to make suspicious statements, but one should research them.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 19-02-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Account Suspended

A good game

Thanks for that Kevin.I am genuinely impressed by the guy and game and sorry that he is no longer posting here.He must be very talented in chess.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DogLover
    No - not a hoax. His comments / game seem very genuine to me.
    EDIT - Thanks KB.
    Last edited by stevenaaus; 19-02-2012 at 10:05 PM.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    I remember hitman, he was a very entertaining poster, too bad he didn't stay long.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Looks like he joined here at the same time as he joined chessgames, and remained active there until mid-2009.

He was actually here on and off for a year. In 2006 he played some corro games against Rybka operated by Garvinator.

here

here

Unfortunately he did not quite complete either game.

CC FIDE Master

Chessgames

Here's his 11 games from chessgames
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information