View Poll Results: how should the best BB post of 2003 should be chosen?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • a panel chooses the finalists, and selects the winner

0 0%
  • panel chooses the finalists,and BB members choose winner

10 76.92%
  • BB members choose finalists, and then choose winner

1 7.69%
  • other - pls specify in the post

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC International Master

HOW to choose the best ACF BB post in 2003?

has paul come up with how he is going to enable the best post of 2003 to be chosen?

If not can he or Jeo run a binding poll, whilst the nominations are being received on how it should be done?

There are basically just 3 sensible options for choosing the best 2003 post, with variations within these 3 groups

1. A panel chooses the final 5 nominees from the candiate posts, and then selects the best BB post for 2003 by itself

2. A panel chooses the final 5 nominess from the candiate posts, and then has a BB poll to enable the BB members to choose the best post of 2003. This could be just making the final post with the most votes the winner, or like American Idol/ football grand finals, having the top 2 vote gatherers run off against each other for BB votes

3. BB members choose a final 5 nominees by voting for the candidate posts through a series of polls. Then the BB members have a BB poll to choose the best BB post for 2003 - either via the post getting the most votes, or a final 5 runoff
    Always do your Best

Quote Originally Posted by chesslover

2. A panel chooses the final 5 nominess from the candiate posts, and then has a BB poll to enable the BB members to choose the best post of 2003. This could be just making the final post with the most votes the winner, or like American Idol/ football grand finals, having the top 2 vote gatherers run off against each other for BB votes
    This seems the most sensible/practical to me.

The "panel" which I presume would consist of ACF Council members (or maybe just Paul B and George?) decide on what they think is the best 5 chess related BB posts in 2003. After all, its the ACF putting up the (albeit small) prize money.

BB members then vote for which of the 5 they think is best. Would need to have some method of making sure people don't vote twice (eg use different aliases). If this is too difficult to enforce, then I would be happy with an (ACF) "panel" deciding which is the best BB post for 2003.

If 2 posts are tied at the end, then have a "tie break" whereby voting is done again with just the 2 posts in question (ie the other 3 posts are eliminated).

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    If not can he or Jeo run a binding poll, whilst the nominations are being received on how it should be done?
    Any poll is open to people signing up new members and voting under their accounts. Even if you restrict it to those who signed up before end/12/03, some posters still had hydras on the old board. Voting by email to someone like Paul, giving real name, might be better but there's no foolproof method.

1. A panel chooses the final 5 nominees from the candiate posts, and then selects the best BB post for 2003 by itself
    If the panel was going to do this there would be no need to shortlist unless it wanted to.

2. A panel chooses the final 5 nominess from the candiate posts, and then has a BB poll to enable the BB members to choose the best post of 2003.
    In principle I like this one best - if it can be done fairly.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    This seems the most sensible/practical to me.

The "panel" which I presume would consist of ACF Council members (or maybe just Paul B and George?) decide on what they think is the best 5 chess related BB posts in 2003. After all, its the ACF putting up the (albeit small) prize money.

BB members then vote for which of the 5 they think is best. Would need to have some method of making sure people don't vote twice (eg use different aliases). If this is too difficult to enforce, then I would be happy with an (ACF) "panel" deciding which is the best BB post for 2003.

If 2 posts are tied at the end, then have a "tie break" whereby voting is done again with just the 2 posts in question (ie the other 3 posts are eliminated).
    I note that in this new BB, you can have upto 10 optiosn for polls, instead of the 5 that existed in the old BB version - so you can thus have 10 posts for voting in the final

Yes, on reflection I too think that the panel shortlisting the finalists is better, and then having a poll for BB members to choose is a better system, than having posts grouped in batches of 10 for voting by BB memebers, with the winner going to the final 10. By giving the choice of 10 by the panel, rather than 5, this is more likely to take into account the widespread range of posts that have been submitted, and cater to all tastes.

I however would like that if there was a final 10 posts chosen, and so farmore than 20 have been sumbitted, then teh winning post should have at least 50%+1 of the BB votes, or there should be a runoff between the top 2 vote gatherers. That is what happens in Russian Presidential elections
    Always do your Best

CC Grandmaster
    I find the whole idea of awarding prizes for the best posts for 2003 as totally stupid and do not support the idea at all. I really doubt that I have written anything that would justify a post of mine being included in the process, but even if I had I would not want it to be included. Just ignore my posts please.
    Scott
    edit: I voted other because I don't want a decision to be made

CC Candidate Master

voting

Nominations close February 14. Then nominations will be numbered, and voters can simply post a vote for the relevant post on this BB. There mnay be too many for a poll. But There won't be many votes/voters so it won't be a problem.

And to answer another question, self-nomination of posts is permissible.

In relation to ChessLover's NECG thread, this has been removed because it incites people to hassle NECG, and this is not in the ACF's interest, NECG's interest, or the interests of Australian Juniors. I don't doubt that it was posted with the best of intentions, but neither do I doubt that it's a grave error of judgment. It's not every day that someone hands the ACF a gift of $7000 a year to help juniors, and it would be a disaster if they withdrew that because people were ringing up and hassling them.
    cheers - paulb

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    I can make a web poll hold more than 10 if needed.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    Sounds good.

PaulS: ACF doesn't have time to set up panels for something like this.
    cheers - paulb

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottColliver
    I find the whole idea of awarding prizes for the best posts for 2003 as totally stupid and do not support the idea at all. I really doubt that I have written anything that would justify a post of mine being included in the process, but even if I had I would not want it to be included. Just ignore my posts please.
    Scott
    edit: I voted other because I don't want a decision to be made
    I have also said previously that I think that having this competition is silly so I won't go through it again (though if I thought the competition was worthwhile I would nominate my post saying why I think it isn't).

However looking at all the posts about the posts and about choosing the method to choose the best posts I think Matthew might be inspired to make another post about incest.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    Nominations close February 14. Then nominations will be numbered, and voters can simply post a vote for the relevant post on this BB. There mnay be too many for a poll. But There won't be many votes/voters so it won't be a problem.

And to answer another question, self-nomination of posts is permissible.

In relation to ChessLover's NECG thread, this has been removed because it incites people to hassle NECG, and this is not in the ACF's interest, NECG's interest, or the interests of Australian Juniors. I don't doubt that it was posted with the best of intentions, but neither do I doubt that it's a grave error of judgment. It's not every day that someone hands the ACF a gift of $7000 a year to help juniors, and it would be a disaster if they withdrew that because people were ringing up and hassling them.
    1. Sounds like a good idea indeed

2. thanks for the clarfication on the self nomination, and the fact that it okay. Too many authoritarian people were taking your name in vain, and making silly rules and restrictions in your name just to push their irrational views and impose it on others

3. I disagree with your deletion of the NECG post but accept your decision, as I believe that you thought it was a fair decision. I appealed that, and Kevin told me the reason and again although I disagree I accept the verdict of the umpire
    Always do your Best

CC International Master
    the features in your BB that enable a poll of more than 10 is very good

under the old BB version the liimit was 5 right?
    Last edited by chesslover; 05-02-2004 at 05:33 PM.
    Always do your Best

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    If there's a need for a vote in person (if polls were impractical) I would prefer a secret ballot rather than people having to state their vote publicly.

I doubt polls will be impractical though.

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    If there's a need for a vote in person (if polls were impractical) I would prefer a secret ballot rather than people having to state their vote publicly.

I doubt polls will be impractical though.
    Yes, I think a secret ballot is advisable.

CL
    BTW this thread has been well managed by you. Keep up the good work.
    starter

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    the features in your BB that enable a poll of more than 10 is very good

under the old BB version the liimit was 5 right?
    No the old BB the limit was 10 aswell.

Account Permanently Banned

Poll visibility

No the old BB the limit was 10 aswell.
    K

I notice that new polls show the message
    Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Can we see these choices and format somewhere?

regards
    starter

Thread Information