Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

France - (Split from "ACF - One.. on one with your Prez

Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    Byteh way, what does your custom title mean, supreme leader?
    I'll leave that as an exercise for you or maybe someone else will comment.

Byteh way, what does your custom title mean, supreme leader?
    Perhaps eventually sometime in the future before the day the earth stands still you will discover its meaning.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Perhaps eventually sometime in the future before the day the earth stands still you will discover its meaning.
    You might have to wait that long to see SFX worse than in that one.

There could be a thread in that. Worst SFX.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    what language is that custome title in?

i like the meaning it is good...

when I get custom, i was going to put something like the "Lord is my shepherd" or "Jesus Loves you"
    Always do your Best

when I get custom, i was going to put something like the "Lord is my shepherd" or "Jesus Loves you"
    How about "Jesus is way cool"?

BTW The ban on overly religious displays in French schools is set to start soon, isn't it? Anyone know what happened with this one?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    whats the meaning?

I think it has something to do with aliens and star wars

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    what language is that custome title in?

i like the meaning it is good...

Did Jesus tell you that he loves you?

So if the "lord" is your shepard, im assuming you believe in FATE?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    whats the meaning?

I think it has something to do with aliens and star wars
    If it was star wars it would be long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Actually Lucas, being a bit of a film buff, I think makes reference to this phrase in one of his films (Return of the Jedi, I think). But going on Bill's enormous hint he was clearly talking about the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    BTW The ban on overly religious displays in French schools is set to start soon, isn't it? Anyone know what happened with this one?
    In my view, the French are simply overdoing it. I understand the need for secularism but the new laws are plain stupid. Now even the Sikhs are upset. What I can't actually wait to see is an alliance between jews and muslims. This could be fun.

AR

CC International Master
    what many people do not realise is that France is a christian country, and this secular law applies also to christians.

The equating of christianity with islam is wrong, for a christian country like France. In Saudi, iran and other muslim countries, you cannot even have a church and pray to Jesus, as islam is the only religion allowed.

Yet a strong christian country like France is trying to ban the cross from the school. They obviously have no regard for their christian heritage, or how this is not reciprocated in the muslim countries

However Reverend Fred Niles here supports the policy to ban the muslim veils (but not the fact that the law applies equally to christians) and indeed made that proposal here, although the ethnic lobby called him racist and attacked him
    Always do your Best

what many people do not realise is that France is a christian country, and this secular law applies also to christians.
    That's right. One law for the rich and poor. No sleeping under bridges or stealing bread.

As a rule, Christians don't wear overtly religous garb. Jews and muslims on the other hand do. Perhaps if it was common for Christians to carry around full size wooden crosses then this law would be secular. As this is not the case, it would seem to be aimed at particular minority groups for no sensible reason.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    That's right. One law for the rich and poor. No sleeping under bridges or stealing bread.

As a rule, Christians don't wear overtly religous garb. Jews and muslims on the other hand do. Perhaps if it was common for Christians to carry around full size wooden crosses then this law would be secular. As this is not the case, it would seem to be aimed at particular minority groups for no sensible reason.
    I would have thought that rabid secularists like you and the Grand Poobah, would be happy with the French law, as it will ensure that the state and religion are seperate

The main purpose of the law is to simply ensure that the state does not promote religion, and that france is a secular country

Yet the same secular liberals who oppose prayers in school in the US on the grounds that the state is promoting religion, oppose the laws that will ban noticeable religious symbols in public schools, a move that will reinforce the legal separation of church and state.

Note that in France, there are 5 million Muslims and 600,000 Jews in this traditionally Christian country of 60 million.
    Always do your Best

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    infact, I can do that, hang on..

I would have thought that rabid secularists like you and the Grand Poobah, would be happy with the French law, as it will ensure that the state and religion are seperate

The main purpose of the law is to simply ensure that the state does not promote religion, and that france is a secular country

Yet the same secular liberals who oppose prayers in school in the US on the grounds that the state is promoting religion, oppose the laws that will ban noticeable religious symbols in public schools, a move that will reinforce the legal separation of church and state.

Note that in France, there are 5 million Muslims and 600,000 Jews in this traditionally Christian country of 60 million.
    I'm against the teaching of religious beliefs (as facts) or compulsory religious observance in schools. I have no problem with people expressing their religious identity in a non-overt, non-threatening way. School is a part of society not a sterile mono-cultural environment. To pretend otherwise is fraught with danger.

Unless of course you also believe the same ban should apply to all public places.

Klaatu Barada Nikto, the words to stop the wrath of Sweeney, I mean, Gort! (and yep, also in Star Wars, and Army of Darkness, hehe)

Thread Information