Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Lee Jones is in the championship, while Kevin Sheldrick is in the supporting event ?! Give me a break.
    Tend to disagree with this assesment. I reckon Lee is stronger.

cheers Fg7

Lakner, Jay WA 2207 2145 (Presumed WA rep)

Jones, Lee FM NSW 2189 2054 (Rating??-Is Fide actually relevent?)

Norris, Damian QLD 2180 2084 (Rating- Again is Fide relevent?)
    Booth, Stewart VIC 2179 2184 (should be in on rating)
    Ly, Moulthun QLD 2162 2148 (current Oz junior champ)
    Bird, Andrew NSW 2146 2105 (nsw rep)
    Wallis, Christopher VIC 2114 2055 (Improving junior- note did not go up as many points as M.Pyke in the last rating list- who has a higher rating?)
    Moylan, Laura WIM NSW 2112 2093 (Presumed womens rep? Is this true?)
    Song, Raymond NSW 2051 2073 (Improved even less then Wallis)
    Obst, James SA 2012 2054 (Presumed SA rep)
    Frame, Nigel TAS 1849 (Mickey mouse rep)

As usual the same story occurs. Nevertheless what will happen if Macavity applies?

cheers Fg7

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    Since nobody else wants to admit it:

http://www.ozchess2006.com/players.htm
    It looks like a very impressive field. I can't understand the point of all this discussion. Everybody in the open looks good enough to me (except maybe for the last one). I wish i could take part in this competition. Well, maybe one day.

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Drug ,its not an OPEN. Its a championship,where you are invited based on certain criteria.

CC Candidate Master

Any norms?

Is there any norms up for grabs for good playing performances? it is a massive event for australia attracting many strong players and a very strong playing field
    Never underestimate junior chess players

CC Grandmaster
    >Lakner, Jay WA 2207 2145 (Presumed WA rep)

Is not WA Champion, but would certainly get in on equivalent proficiency (however he can also be nominated by WA given that they have no other rep).

>Jones, Lee FM NSW 2189 2054 (Rating??-Is Fide actually relevent?)

FIDE rating is not used in determining the rating cutoff, but may (presumably) be used in determining equivalent proficiency. In this case, Lee has maintained a FIDE rating of around 2200 over more than 50 games in 3 years. Presumably that's worth something.

> Norris, Damian QLD 2180 2084 (Rating- Again is Fide relevent?)
    >Booth, Stewart VIC 2179 2184 (should be in on rating)

What do you mean *should* be?

>Ly, Moulthun QLD 2162 2148 (current Oz junior champ)
    >Bird, Andrew NSW 2146 2105 (nsw rep)

Since the playoff hasn't happened yet (as far as I know), Bird would not be the NSW rep. But I cannot imagine that he would be turned down on the strength of his NSW Championship performance.

>Wallis, Christopher VIC 2114 2055 (Improving junior- note did not go up as >many points as M.Pyke in the last rating list- who has a higher rating?)

Has gone up around 600 points since the last Championship. How far has Pykey improved in that time?

>Moylan, Laura WIM NSW 2112 2093 (Presumed womens rep? Is this true?)

I don't believe that she is Australian Women's champion, so she would be subject to the equivalent proficiency criteria.

>Song, Raymond NSW 2051 2073 (Improved even less then Wallis)

Has improved at least 250 points since the last Championship. That's more than any non-junior over 2000 I can think of.

>Obst, James SA 2012 2054 (Presumed SA rep)

Cannot be SA rep, as they already have a rep in Aaron Guthrie. Presumably Obst must also apply under improving junior provision (500 points since the last Championship, also has a solid case).

>Frame, Nigel TAS 1849 (Mickey mouse rep)

Tasmanian Champion. Has qualified. Nuff said.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by bunta
    Is there any norms up for grabs for good playing performances? it is a massive event for australia attracting many strong players and a very strong playing field
    Certainly GM and IM norms are possible. There appear to be enough titled players in the field such that a player who achieves the performance rating (2600) for a GM title will also satisfy the other criteria (3 GMs, 50% titled players etc).

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Obst, James SA 2012 2054 (Presumed SA rep)

Cannot be SA rep, as they already have a rep in Aaron Guthrie. Presumably Obst must also apply under improving junior provision (500 points since the last Championship, also has a solid case).
    Obst is the SA Champion.
    http://www.peterballard.org

>Lakner, Jay WA 2207 2145 (Presumed WA rep)

Is not WA Champion, but would certainly get in on equivalent proficiency (however he can also be nominated by WA given that they have no other rep).
    Personally, I am of the opinion that the WA players are over-rated. But, what can you do, he should play based on his ACF rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax
    >Jones, Lee FM NSW 2189 2054 (Rating??-Is Fide actually relevent?)

FIDE rating is not used in determining the rating cutoff, but may (presumably) be used in determining equivalent proficiency. In this case, Lee has maintained a FIDE rating of around 2200 over more than 50 games in 3 years. Presumably that's worth something.
    There is no FIDE criteria, so I think it is worth nothing for Australian players. While I think Lee is strong and would go well in the tournament, it is difficult to understand what he gets in on, except ACF rating.

> Norris, Damian QLD 2180 2084 (Rating- Again is Fide relevent?)
    Same position as Lee, FIDE does not count.

>Bird, Andrew NSW 2146 2105 (nsw rep)

Since the playoff hasn't happened yet (as far as I know), Bird would not be the NSW rep. But I cannot imagine that he would be turned down on the strength of his NSW Championship performance.
    According to the current criteria, his entry ought to be subject to whether he beats Fuller in a match. If he finishes second his N.S.W performance ought to mean nothing. However, should probably get a gurnsey based on his ACF rating.

>Wallis, Christopher VIC 2114 2055 (Improving junior- note did not go up as >many points as M.Pyke in the last rating list- who has a higher rating?)

Has gone up around 600 points since the last Championship. How far has Pykey improved in that time?
    I think this arguement you present is absurd. To suggest that getting to an 1800 rating requires talent is simply ridiculous. It is very convenient that you choose to ignore the reality of who improved more on the last ACF rating list. Could it be the ACF is really ageist? After all, the same people claimed that they would probably support an adult who was improving.

Just for the record,again. I think Macavity deserves a spot as an improving adult. Take a look at your own ACF December list if you do not believe me.It is much harder to go up after 2000, then from say 1500.

>Moylan, Laura WIM NSW 2112 2093 (Presumed womens rep? Is this true?)

I don't believe that she is Australian Women's champion, so she would be subject to the equivalent proficiency criteria.
    Another imaginary clause....surely the clause would be better served to rate these players on rating. As far as I can see Laura is third after 1.Jay and 2.Andrew

>Song, Raymond NSW 2051 2073 (Improved even less then Wallis)

Has improved at least 250 points since the last Championship. That's more than any non-junior over 2000 I can think of.
    250 points over two years, while impressive, is not much of an improvement compared to the other juniors. I don't think it is more then adult players like Dragicevic or Anderson.

cheers Fg7

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pballard
    Obst is the SA Champion.
    Oops, my mistake!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    Personally, I am of the opinion that the WA players are over-rated.
    Now you're just shit stirring. Overrated based on what evidence?

Now you're just shit stirring. Overrated based on what evidence?
    Their proportion of players rated between 2000 and 2200 is disproportional compared to the same rating group for other states.

cheers Fg7

CC Grandmaster
    Another imaginary clause....surely the clause would be better served to rate these players on rating. As far as I can see Laura is third after 1.Jay and 2.Andrew
    Sorry, what is imaginary exactly?

250 points over two years, while impressive, is not much of an improvement compared to the other juniors. I don't think it is more then adult players like Dragicevic or Anderson.
    It is more than both Dragicevic and Anderson.

CC Grandmaster
    Their proportion of players rated between 2000 and 2200 is disproportional compared to the same rating group for other states.
    Is the mean higher? Is there a larger variance? Or have you just decided that there are too many. How many WA players have you played recently?

Sorry, what is imaginary exactly?
    Well you tell me. Surely the ACF is best served by judging those players under the cut off on their ratings, otherwise somebody gets in at somebody elses expense. Isn't that the point of a rating?

It is more than both Dragicevic and Anderson.
    What is?

cheers fg7

Thread Information