Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CC International Master four four two's Avatar

If there was 20...

Gray,if there was only 20 people allowed into the australian championship,which would make it a very competitive tournament,then Ly wouldnt even come close to qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    Gray,if there was only 20 people allowed into the australian championship,which would make it a very competitive tournament,then Ly wouldnt even come close to qualifying.
    I do understand what you are saying, but looking at the current field and if based on acf rating, then Moulthun is actually 21st at the moment based on acf rating. So he is close

He is only 21st because a number of the stronger players are passing on Brisbane and are going to Queenstown instead.

Dont get me wrong Gray,I have nothing against Ly or any other junior for that matter.I just think selection should be based on playing strength and not age,Wallis and Song are qualifying because they are juniors.If they were 30+years old they could have easily found themselves being rejected for the australian championship.

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar
    .I just think selection should be based on playing strength and not age,Wallis and Song are qualifying because they are juniors.If they were 30+years old they could have easily found themselves being rejected for the australian championship.

Or simply too dejected to bother being rejected and then feel upset about their entry being ageist-ly judged as opposed to those who were selected,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

CC Grandmaster
    He is only 21st because a number of the stronger players are passing on Brisbane and are going to Queenstown instead.
    You create the misimpression that the Queenstown event is more popular than Brisbane. In fact, very few top Australian players are skipping Brisbane and going to Queenstown (I count 3 over 2300). Many more are going to Brisbane but not Queenstown, and more still are going only to Brisbane.
    Last edited by pax; 02-12-2005 at 02:18 PM. Reason: mistype: Queenstown -> Brisbane

CC Grandmaster
    If you want to have a really competitive 11 round swiss,then you should make it a field of 20.But that of course would leave out most of the state champions and the current australian junior champion.
    You have no idea what you are taking about. 20 is far too small for an 11 round swiss. You would have totally messed up pairings by the last round.

Dont get me wrong Gray,I have nothing against Ly or any other junior for that matter.I just think selection should be based on playing strength and not age,Wallis and Song are qualifying because they are juniors.If they were 30+years old they could have easily found themselves being rejected for the australian championship.
    have you actually read the whole thread and my thoughts on this entire matter??

Is the championship field online somewhere?
    http://www.peterballard.org

Pax,I dont think I was giving the impression that Queenstown was more popular for australian players than Brisbane. In an ideal world where all the australian players had both the time and money they would play in both.
    Seeing as some players who are currently rated higher than Ly dont have both the time and money ,they have chosen to play in Queenstown rather than Brisbane.For some of those players it might have been a case of the oppurtunity to play chess in another country,there is also the fact that Queenstown has much better prize money.

For the record the australian players who are higher rated than Ly who have entered for Queenstown and not Brisbane so far are...

West,Froehlich,V Feldman,Reilly,Drummond,Brian Jones.

As for the 20 player field,I wasnt actually referring to this years current field.
    If you had a 20 player field where the lowest rated player was FM BillJordan and the highest was Rogers ,would the last round pairings be totally out of whack? With the current field for this year,28 players,isnt Rogers likely to get a player around Bill's rating[2206] in the last round?

Gray,which thread are you referring to? This one ,or the culture of selection?

Peter there is a link to the web adresss for aus champs in the aus champs/junior section.

Gray,which thread are you referring to? This one ,or the culture of selection?
    culture of selection

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pballard
    Is the championship field online somewhere?
    Since nobody else wants to admit it:

http://www.ozchess2006.com/players.htm

CC Candidate Master
    Thx for being Blunt, Routy.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Lee Jones is in the championship, while Kevin Sheldrick is in the supporting event ?! Give me a break.
    Seems to me that you have a biased opinion of Kevin Sheldrick over Lee Jones. What is this based on? How well do you know the players involved?

CC Grandmaster
    As for the 20 player field,I wasnt actually referring to this years current field.
    If you had a 20 player field where the lowest rated player was FM BillJordan and the highest was Rogers ,would the last round pairings be totally out of whack? With the current field for this year,28 players,isnt Rogers likely to get a player around Bill's rating[2206] in the last round?
    Sorry, what exactly do you think is good about having an event where the top seeds play bottom seeds in the last few rounds. Sort of takes any interest out of it don't you think?

CC International Master
    One issue with a small field relative to number of rounds is that if you end up with a bye, through somebody dropping out at the last minute or somebody being a de facto bye (out of form or playing well below the general standard), about a third of the field can get the bye including people in contention for the title.

Another issue is just cost vs benefit. By having a twenty-player Swiss you have all the costs of a Swiss (people play different fields) without the benefit (allowing marginal cases in). If it's going to be chopped down to twenty I think you might as well go the whole way and have a twelve-player round robin.

Thread Information