Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

Championship field

With the first entry deadline passing today, we are starting to see the Australian Championship field taking shape.

I must say that so far, it looks very strong. So far entered are 5 GMs, 6 IMs, 9 FMs and one WIM. The 7 untitled players take numbers to a tidy 28. Nearly all of Australia's active top players are there. It looks to me as though it might be the strongest Championship in history - anyone able to verify?

Numbers also look pretty good a month out, with 84 in the main supporting events (not rapid or lightning) and 137 in junior events.

CC Candidate Master
    Lee Jones is in the championship, while Kevin Sheldrick is in the supporting event ?! Give me a break.

CC International Master four four two's Avatar

Question

Lee may have qualified on the basis of both his ACF and FIDE rating,still its a pity that someone of Sheldricks rating isnt playing in the championship.
    Does anyone know if Sheldrick applied for the championship and was knocked back? Maybe he's just trying to go for the money in the reserves?

I thought the list was still subject to ratification with final list to be announced on 19th Dec?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    Lee may have qualified on the basis of both his ACF and FIDE rating,still its a pity that someone of Sheldricks rating isnt playing in the championship.
    Does anyone know if Sheldrick applied for the championship and was knocked back? Maybe he's just trying to go for the money in the reserves?
    I don't think anyone has been knocked back. All applications go on the list and then the selection committee will make their final decision

CC Grandmaster
    Are you saying that you think the rating cutoff is too high?

It's highly likely that he opted for the Major, but even if he didn't - how many rated games has he played in the last year? Or the last two?? It's a bit difficult to demonstrate equivalent proficiency if you haven't played in over a year.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Lee Jones is in the championship, while Kevin Sheldrick is in the supporting event ?! Give me a break.

I thought generally Sheldrick chooses to chase the money then play up in the higher division.

Quote Originally Posted by brett
    I thought generally Sheldrick chooses to chase the money then play up in the higher division.
    That's not the nicest thing to say....

It's an u2150 cutoff, so he's going to enter the Major.. I actually encouraged him to play!
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Pax,you should know my position by now.

But if you have forgotten,let me state it again for you.

I disagree with the current cut off and think it should be lowered so as give ALL players who are within 100 points of the current cut off an oppurtunity to play against a strong field in a closed tournament.
    Britain,a country with over 30 GM's, still allows mid 2100 players to play in their championship.They see it as good for the overall development of chess.
    I cant see why a country as strong as Britain should follow this line of thinking and we shouldnt.We seem hell bent on making it as difficult as possible for players around the 2100 mark ,but under 2150 , to play against our top players.

Having said that,if we are going to stick with the CURRENT criteria,then that criteria should be applied equally whether they are a junior or not.
    Under the current criteria it is easier for juniors to qualify for our national championship.In my opinion that is shortsighted,and treats certain adult players who are no weaker than these juniors as "second class" players.

CC Grandmaster
    I disagree with the current cut off and think it should be lowered so as give ALL players who are within 100 points of the current cut off an oppurtunity to play against a strong field in a closed tournament.
    Britain,a country with over 30 GM's, still allows mid 2100 players to play in their championship.They see it as good for the overall development of chess.
    I cant see why a country as strong as Britain should follow this line of thinking and we shouldnt.We seem hell bent on making it as difficult as possible for players around the 2100 mark ,but under 2150 , to play against our top players.
    You have to draw the line somewhere. What about the mid 2000 players? Or the mid 1900 players?

The current system is good, because it results in a field of around 30 which is a good size for a genuinely competitive 11 round Swiss.

The British Championship is a very poor example. That tournament has massively deteriorated in recent years. The 2006 Australian Championship will in fact be a stronger event than the 2005 British! Where were those 30 GMs? They were not at the event that most of them regard as having degenerated into yet another monster Swiss.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    That's not the nicest thing to say....

It's an u2150 cutoff, so he's going to enter the Major.. I actually encouraged him to play!
    I didnt mean that as an insult. Sorry if you got that impression

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar
    Hello everyone,

The choice of Chris Wallis as a starter for the Australian Championships is interesting to me in one regard; Did Chris ask to play in the event before he was announced as playing?

Does anyone know the sequence of events? I have read the Culture of Selection thread but if it mentioned how this state of affairs came about I don't remember, perhaps someone could point it out if so, elsewise would love to hear the story.

Wallis, Christopher: September 2005: ACF 2003; December 2005:ACF 2055

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Pax,do you regard 46 players as a monster swiss?
    Considering that was how many players they had this year.
    This years British championship was one of the weakest for a number of years,it was won by Johnathon Rowson 2599,it was also one of the smallest fields for a number of years too.There are many reasons why Britains elite players dont play their championship,I would question whether the size of the field is one of them.

What about the mid 2000 players you say,well arent Wallis and Song in EXACTLY that category.Are you seriously trying to suggest they would be more competitive than some adults like Macavity or Sheldrick?
    As for drawing the line,the line seems to be flexible for juniors and not certain adults.

If you want to have a really competitive 11 round swiss,then you should make it a field of 20.But that of course would leave out most of the state champions and the current australian junior champion.

There are currently 28 entries for the Australian championship,do you think there would be a major dilution if there was 38?

and the current australian junior champion.

There are currently 28 entries for the Australian championship,do you think there would be a major dilution if there was 38?
    how does it leave out the current australian junior champion?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Wallis did indeed apply for inclusion in the Championship and was admitted by Council.

Lee Jones has not yet been ruled on - selection committee will be ruling on his application shortly. The reason Lee Jones has not been dealt with earlier as an urgent case is that the organisers have informed us that if he is not admitted to the Championsips he intends to play the Major. Therefore we have waited for this rating list for up to date data.

I'd just like to note that while I may from time to time comment on the procedures etc, I will not be making any comment here in support of or against any application I rule on as part of the selection committee.

Thread Information