Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

Is Australia "filth"?

I was thinking about the "US is filth" thread, and how a country that is constituted of people you would normally consider on the whole as fairly unobjectionable individually, can through its government oversee actions that are objectionable, even at times repugnant[even Matthew Sweeney pointed out that it was the US corporately and not its individual citizens that is what is in question]. Then (and others pointed this out before I thought of it), I got to thinking - is it in order for us in Oz to do some examining of our own backyard also?

To start with, East Timor (various), Aboriginal reconciliation, Tampa, mandatory detention, Siev X(that one is debatable), children overboard...

CC International Master
    speaking of Australian immigration policy...
    http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html

CC International Master
    Gareth's heading rings true in light of events in Cronulla and the southern shire of NSW. The racism displayed by those on the weekend has been excused/explained by Bruce Baird Federal MP for the area on ABC radio this morning because of 9/11, Bali bombing, illegal immigration, recent and yet to be proved "terrorist raids" in Sydney and Melbourne and the latest attack by a gang of thugs of middle eastern appearance on two Cronulla lifegaurds and alcohol.

John Howard must be proud of his fellow Australians and his colleague but may have wished this occurred closer to election time so everyone will forget his IR policies and vote him in again.
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

CC FIDE Master
    Howards Australia: First wrap yourself in the flag, then do anything you want.

Mondays are bad enough without waking up to pictures like that on the front page. Depressing.

There’s a Sorry book which I’ve seen recently- based on a US website. Quite extraordinary. Thousands of ordinary Americans sent in their photos with captions they’ve scrawled in or posters they’re holding up. Just saying sorry to the world for having voted in Bush. Sorry for not having done more to change things. Sorry for polluting the world. Trying to send out a message that not all Americans think they’re the most important people in the world, think invading countries is okay and so on. The photos are tremendously varied as are the people; moving too in a way I hadn't expected.

If things keep going the way they are, there might be a need for a similar website here

Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    Mondays are bad enough without waking up to pictures like that on the front page. Depressing.

There’s a Sorry book which I’ve seen recently- based on a US website. Quite extraordinary. Thousands of ordinary Americans sent in their photos with captions they’ve scrawled in or posters they’re holding up. Just saying sorry to the world for having voted in Bush.
    Actually, they're not saying sorry for voting in Bush! They're all adamant they didn't vote for Bush, saying that half the voting country didn't and they're sorry they didn't do more to ensure he wasn't voted in...

Sorry to the sorry site for my clumsy language.

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Apathy...its a killer.

What I find interesting is how they keep referring to sunday's events as a "race riot". When really its a clash of cultures,the "middle eastern appearance=Lebanese" is hardly a homogenous group of people .
    In the end the mob ended up attacking anyone who they perceived as not being "dinky-di" aussies,some of the people beaten were supposedly italian.

The guy I saw on the news who spouted the biggest load of crap was the guy who said words to the effect "My grandfather fought in wars to stop these "people"[the lifeguard attackers] from doing these things".
    I can just see the right wing element of the RSL's reitterating this kind of rubbish, talk back radio will be giving them plenty of time to say things like "its all the fault of multiculturalism,we should never have let in the bloody middle eastern lot and the chinks".

44, given that you say that it is a clash of cultures (and I agree with that assessment) ... how can multiculturalism escape blameless from the inevitable recriminations that are now to follow?
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    There are very few autonomous states that are exclusively one ethnic culture,the vast majority of countries have many cultural minorities.
    "Multiculturalism" is hardly a new phenomenon.

Having cultural minorities per se isnt a problem,they dont inherently lead to aggressive and violent behaviour . The point people here should remember is that the kind of behaviour that has taken place in Sydney in the last week is actually alot more common overseas .That doesnt mean that the mobs behaviour should be excused,but it does show that Australia has a much better track record on cultural diversity than many other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    Actually, they're not saying sorry for voting in Bush! They're all adamant they didn't vote for Bush, saying that half the voting country didn't and they're sorry they didn't do more to ensure he wasn't voted in...

Sorry to the sorry site for my clumsy language.
    I saw the site straight after the elections.

An example:

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC International Master
    This is less a clash of cultures and more a case of wanna be tough guys trying to impress and boost their egos by intimidating and hurting others. Then "Australia First Party" right wing crackers see a chance to divide the community by playing up the race issue for all its worth. Here what they had on their web site:

Australian Youth And Families Should Support The Cronulla Mass Mobilisation On December 11

After months of racial taunts, threats and violence against Australian youth and families in the Cronulla area of Sydney - courtesy of gangs of Middle Eastern youths - a mass reaction has erupted right outside of the rules and forms of normal politics.Tired of being fobbed off by police commanders and local politicians, Australian youth took the matter into their own hands. It is the likely case that on Sunday, December 11, hundreds if not thousands of Australian youth and family people, will occupy the Cronulla beach area as an effective demonstration of solidarity with the victims of anti-Australian race hate and violence.

This demonstration is proper and should be supported by all residents and patriotic people.

The response of the Premier of the State, a man steeped in what is called multiculturalist ideology, was to call for a massive police presence to avert violence between angry Australians and the Middle Eastern gangs. Indeed, the participants should observe restraint and offer self-defence only if attacked. It is the very fact they will appear in great numbers, as living testimony to the rightful method of mass action, which will for this day at least, cow the hatemongers and show this Premier and those who stand with him, they are no longer intimidated by an ideology and policy that is now generally hated and loathed by the Australian people.

All members and friends of Australia First, particularly those in the Sutherland Shire, will participate as individuals in this first great mobilisation of Australians against the terror of multiculturalist ideology and practise in this country's history.
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Didnt they have riots at Cronnulla yesterday - I heard something on the radio .....[edit] ... ahhh thats wat your post is about ---> that will teach me to read all of a post before replying and look at the date
    Last edited by Kaitlin; 12-12-2005 at 03:41 PM.
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

CC International Master

Has the rodent made a statement

Has the lying rodent made any statement about the riot or is he still figuring out how to turn it to his political advantage.

Shit, you step out of the country for a week and then this!

Anyway, what if I suggest that the Lebos deserved it? Think gang rapes, drive-by shootings.

AR

CC Rookie

Smile no

no australia isnt filth

Thread Information