Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned

2004 Box Hill Chess Club Autumn Cup

Eighty entries were accepted, 30/1/2004, for this 7 round SWISS played in two divisions. The top two seeds are the current Australian Junior Champion, Denis Bourmistrov, and Geoff Saw.
    Rate of play is 60 minutes pp and 30sec pm/pp.

Round 2 will start at 7.45 pm on Friday the 6th of February.

CC Rookie
    80 is a fantastic turnout.maybe only begonia can beat this number as some one who has played at box hill,its like they got players every where

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1992
    80 is a fantastic turnout.maybe only begonia can beat this number as some one who has played at box hill,its like they got players every where
    bobby1992
    Thank you for the comment.
    Actually, our event is a 7 round weekly whereas Begonia is a week-ender and had 130 last year from memory. So there is little to compare on numbers, tourney structure, and even the quality of the field. Begonia is streets ahead of all else.

It will be interesting to see how the VIC OPEN goes this year. BH will run it as a week-ender and we are currently over-subscribed on the sponsors funds (money in the bank) even though the the event is not to be held till June........see VIC OPEN thread as details are released. Its own web-site is due for release today.

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 01-02-2004 at 03:23 PM.

CC Rookie
    to starter,why do players play in turneys and i mean any turney the reason i ask is because there seems to be no clear answer and if there was every club would bottle it.,what is it?nice venue or prize money does not seem to be the main reasons ,the chance to play a master could be another ,is location one maybe ,the volunteers in a club that run it smoothly,the general ambience at certain clubs could be another.i posted a thread that got a bit out of hand when i asked about the prize money but it was just a question and i dont think that prize money get big numbers it might get a few good players.i play because i like playing but all chess players like playing chess so why are they not playing i mean playing weekenders.i ask you because your club gets the numbers and having played there i can tell every one yes the numbers are there .now how does every other club duplicate this in there local area.

Chess players can remember 27 moves in 27 variations in a single opening - however most can't seem to remember the date of the next event. (and let's not mention the starting time).

Well this is probably true of the whole population - but with so many things to do (particularly on weekends) and so little time - who can blame us.

Continuous advertising - reminders - even harrasment seems to get good numbers at club events and weekenders.

We must have some marketing and advertising expertise within the chess community - let's find it and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1992
    to starter,why do players play in turneys and i mean any turney the reason i ask is because there seems to be no clear answer and if there was every club would bottle it.,what is it?nice venue or prize money does not seem to be the main reasons ,the chance to play a master could be another ,is location one maybe ,the volunteers in a club that run it smoothly,the general ambience at certain clubs could be another.i posted a thread that got a bit out of hand when i asked about the prize money but it was just a question and i dont think that prize money get big numbers it might get a few good players.i play because i like playing but all chess players like playing chess so why are they not playing i mean playing weekenders.i ask you because your club gets the numbers and having played there i can tell every one yes the numbers are there .now how does every other club duplicate this in there local area.
    Ascaro
    You are a beaut bloke and your post is right on the money. It deserves a lot of attention. In fact it deserves it own thread rather than sitting in our AUTUMN CUP results.
    You are correct; if we knew what the one answer was we would bottle it.
    Actually, I think a lot of little things have to be done well, and a lot of volunteers involved.This last point was explored in depth last year on Paul Sike's thread "the BIGGEST PROBLEM IN CHESS". My best post on that thread is one of Paul's nominations for the best post prize; can I suggest you read that one.

But your question is bigger than just 'more volunteers'. I will think about more responses. In the mean-time, Bob1 has posted a good idea. Looks like a few other interested parties. What about the thread police helping ASCARO out here and managing onto an appropriately defined thread(s).

starter

Round 1 Bulletin

Box Hill Chess Club
    AUTUMN Cup 2004 … Round 1 Bulletin

Entries were taken smoothly up to 7.45pm when the pairings were made and the large accelerated SWISS got under way. Two players over 2000 rating in Denis Bourmistrov, fresh from success at the recent Aus. Junior Championship, and Geoff Saw resuming after a lay-off from competitive chess.
    The average rating difference of pairings for this round is 400+ so there were very few full-scale upsets on the top twenty boards. However there were scare-draws to Dragicevic v Meldau, Rushdi v Wheelwright, Narenthran v Wallis and newcomer Omeragic v Rothlisberger. I was particularly pleased for Phil W because he has suffered some rating drops in recent times; but well done here. Only one of these ‘upsets’ was a rapidly improving junior; so perhaps that issue is now behind us.

The first real upset was on board 23 where life-member Eric Neymanis was rolled by newcomer Eugene Schon; Eugene has been practicing at the Aus. Junior.

Another big scare-draw was Richard Martin v Jerome Lugo; these two also featured in W.A. Sally Yu had a great win over Paul Qian, a case of a micro-junior sneaking up on a mini-junior.

It was good to see Phillip O’Connor back around the Club. We need his web-site skills. Arbiter was Gerrit Hartland, and set-up crew was efficient under Anton Nincevic and Marieke van Dijk.

Keep contact with Club activities by reading http://www.boxhillchess.org.au.

Round 2 Bulletin

Box Hill Chess Club
    Autumn Cup 2004
    Round 2 Bulletin

An extra handful of entrants have started after the first evening. Catch-up games have been arranged in most circumstances.
    The round 2 board 2 pairing Yachou v Bourmistrov has been postponed. Scare-draw upsets started to occur on the higher boards and the usual suspects were causing the trouble Ruperto Lugo held Leon Kempen to a long-fought draw and Michelle Lee took half a point from Janusz Dutka.
    Arie Meydan got one back for the oldies by taking a full point from Dusan Stojic. But the junior attack continued with Zhigen Lin accounting for Garry Lycett., and Reubban Muthusamy dealing with Rad Chmiel. The big upset that caught my eye was Abhishek Nannegari over Devrim van Dijk.
    On the bottom boards Flinder Hiew picked up points from Robert Chan.

Did you know that Box Hill will be hosting both the Victorian OPEN and the Victorian JUNIOR this year. These week-enders are already looking to be bumper events. $1000 first prize for the OPEN, and 8 (yes 8) rating prizes of $150. It has a dedicated web-site at
    http://www.vicchess.netfirms.com/

testing for autumn cup games

If I can learn how to do this , I may be able to post some games from the Autumn Cup. (after much prompting (prodding?) from starter)
    The game is from the second round and has no special interest apart from showing a typical example of how a high 1900s player beats a middling 1700s.

[Event "Box Hill Autumn Cup 2004"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Liston, Howard"]
    [Black "Nemeth, John"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "B52"]
    [WhiteElo "1731"]
    [BlackElo "1988"]
    [PlyCount "84"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Barry Cox; 10-02-2004 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Fixed PGN tag

Quote Originally Posted by booboo
    If I can learn how to do this , I may be able to post some games from the Autumn Cup. (after much prompting (prodding?) from starter)
    The game is from the second round and has no special interest apart from showing a typical example of how a high 1900s player beats a middling 1700s.
    A great effort for a first-timer's post.

Now for the name change. How to do that

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Stick with booboo. Here is an avatar you might like...
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Round 3 pairings

Quote Originally Posted by starter

Round 3 pairings can be viewed at
    http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004...fac/round3.htm

And I can announce (for the first time in human recorded history, prior to a round being played) that the competitiveness index is 220.1.

(Index = Mean absolute deviation of rating differences of pairs).

Autumn Cup: Starter makes an impact

The third round of the Box Hill Autumn Cup was played last night. My game finished a little early and I didn't stay for the finish of all the top boards, but there was one (fairly) big upset. If this keeps up we will all play a game or two of Fisher random to improve our chess.
    (There is some commentary in the game score.)
    Starter (1534) - Yachou,N (1764) [B50]
    Box Hill Autumn Cup (3.9), 2004

PGN Viewer

Last edited by booboo; 14-02-2004 at 07:14 PM. Reason: I have included some commentary in the game score but you will have to download it to see the comments

Round 3 results and bulletin

Box Hill Chess Club
    AUTUMN Cup 2004 … Round 3 Results

Thes are now available on the web-site at
    http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004...fac/round3.htm

Box Hill Chess Club
    Autumn Cup 2004
    Round 3 Bulletin

Four upsets in the first nine boards, but none of them caused by juniors; perhaps the tide is turning. Meydan defeated M Lojanica, Narentham defeated Kempen, Stanning defeated Yachou, and Bekker drew with Sharman.
    Other notable upsets included junior Wallis rolled Jenkins, Elbrish defeated Chmiel, Goudy over R Fell, N Lauder beat Neymanis, Schon accounted for Galiabovitch.
    Late entrants are still be accepted into the field on a case-by-case negotiated basis. The latest entrant has a high FIDE rating and could win the UNRATED prize but is not eligible for the other prizes as a condition of entry.

Did you know that Box Hill will be hosting both the Victorian OPEN and the Victorian JUNIOR this year. These week-enders are already looking to be bumper events. $1000 first prize for the OPEN, and 8 (yes 8) rating prizes of $150. Both events can be viewed currently at
    http://www.vicchess.netfirms.com

The February Rookies Cup was played Sunday 15/2 and won by Denis Bourmistrov. John Nemeth won the OPEN section. Elena Galaibovitch won the Queens Cup.
    The Tuesday New season SWISS is proceeding at 7.45pm and late entry is possible.

We welcome the new volunteers to Club administration (Ruperto Lugo; Treasurer of Whitehorse, and Denis Bourmistrov; onto the VIC OPEN organising committee).

Box Hill Chess Club..Autumn Cup 2004...Round 4 Bulletin

Results and cross-table are now available on the web-site at
    http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004...fac/round4.htm

Box Hill Chess Club
    Autumn Cup 2004
    Round 4 Bulletin

Three forfeits amongst the top 20 boards was an extra-ordinary occurrence at Box Hill. I know we all take pride in the recommended practice of giving early warning if you cannot make it to your game on a Friday evening. The organisers work hard at ensuring everyone gets a game at Box Hill. Remember, if you cannot play, please ring early in the week.
    Board 6 saw a scaredraw as Michelle Lee held Mehmedalija Dizdarevic to share the point. And Howard Liston got more than a scare from Zhigen Lin. “Who coaches him” Howard was asking even days later. Perhaps Howard has not been watching our warnings in this Bulletin. Board 12 saw Chris Wallis upset Scott Sharman but it was an easy point as Scott looked in no condition to play. Derek Yu had a huge win over Devrim van Dijk; how long will those bragging rights last. Sadly Phil Wheelwright features here again; this time losing to Peter Braham. The good news Phil is that the ratings slide will get you off my ‘upsets’ radar soon. Good to see Norm Wilson get on the scoreboard. Natasha Lauder picked up a good half point against the rusty Trevor Chong. Now watch this next one you ratings-rich middle-tablers; Eugene Schon defeated Rochelleh Ziffer. Jason Tang accounted for Fred Tischman; Jason is not radar material just yet, but will be; so watch out. Nathan Fell caused David Creedon some problems that could not be shaken, and Alan Gray won an epic struggle against Marieke van Dijk.
    Did you know that Box Hill will be hosting both the Victorian OPEN and the Victorian JUNIOR this year. These week-enders are already looking to be bumper events. $1000 first prize for the OPEN, and 8 (yes 8) rating prizes of $150. It has a dedicated web-site at http://www.vicchess.netfirms.com/

Thread Information