Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Your Favourite Book!

Thought I might open a discussion about books whether it be chess books, fiction, non fiction Childrens, Whatever!

My favourite book is How To Kill a Mocking Bird
    I do often read some childrens books for my class and enjoyed Chinese Cinderella and the "A Series Of Unfortunate Events" books!

Please post your favourite books!

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar

Godel, Escher, Bach

Never read How To Kill a Mocking Bird. But I'm sure there are a couple of therad on books and other forms of literature somewhere. I really like Burmese Days by George Orwell. Science fiction of Heinlein, Clarke and Asimov. Also enjoyed the earlier work of Raymond Feist and Robert Jordan and also really enjoyed any Tolkien I've read.

But for something a bit different you could read worse than Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter. I've notice it has been published in a new edition relatively recently and I've seen it sitting on the shelves of several bookshops around the place. It won't suit everynoes tastes so have a look through before you buy.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    "The Invisible Man" by H.G.Wells was one of my Favourites.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

Makes me smile and cry.
    Thinking before speaking takes the fun out of life.

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Favourite novel.....tough, but probably Far from the Madding Crowd by Hardy.
    Favourite chess book.....Bronstein's Zurich Candidates 1953

Rincewind.....I've read loads of sci-fi/fantasy, both good and bad, and my favourite is the Thomas Covenant novels by Stephen Donaldson. Robert Jordan was good to start with, but got tedious after about 4/5 books in his Wheel of Time series.
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    Favourite novel.....tough, but probably Far from the Madding Crowd by Hardy.
    Favourite chess book.....Bronstein's Zurich Candidates 1953

Rincewind.....I've read loads of sci-fi/fantasy, both good and bad, and my favourite is the Thomas Covenant novels by Stephen Donaldson. Robert Jordan was good to start with, but got tedious after about 4/5 books in his Wheel of Time series.
    Yes I'd have to agree although he does still have moments of brilliance in the later books they seems to just drag in long passages. Book 11 (the penultimate of the series) has been released., BTW. I stopped at 9 but bought 10 and 11. I thnik I will wait till 12 is out and then finish them off in a marathon.

Feist on the other hand wrote some brilliant stuff at first but some of his later stories were entirely going through the motions with very little redeemable qualities at all.

Have you read any of Jordan's Conan contributions? They were quite good short stories. As were L. Sprague de Camp's and (of course) Robert E Howard's.

Bronstein's book is a classic and one that I have in my collection also. For a modern chess classic I quite liked Watson's Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Yes I'd have to agree although he does still have moments of brilliance in the later books they seems to just drag in long passages. Book 11 (the penultimate of the series) has been released., BTW. I stopped at 9 but bought 10 and 11. I thnik I will wait till 12 is out and then finish them off in a marathon.

Feist on the other hand wrote some brilliant stuff at first but some of his later stories were entirely going through the motions with very little redeemable qualities at all.

Have you read any of Jordan's Conan contributions? They were quite good short stories. As were L. Sprague de Camp's and (of course) Robert E Howard's.

Bronstein's book is a classic and one that I have in my collection also. For a modern chess classic I quite liked Watson's Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy.
    I went straight for The Wheel of Time.....read about 7 and couldn't face reading Jordan for a while. I don't mind Feist, but it get a bit sameish.....as with David Gemmell...once you've read one you know what's going to happen in the rest. Iain (M) Banks is good in places.

Watson's books on Strategy are good thought provoking reads. However, I will always prefer tournament books and game collections as they have a human element to them. Theory is facinating but it invariably does my head in

CC International Master

Yeah I enjoyed the Connan stuff and agree that the wheel of time could have been three to four books shorter. The Feist's "Magician" is a good series

Colleen McCulloch's Historical fictions are quite good, Troy's Song and all the Roman series.
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

Loved many of the books above - particularly the first series of the Thomas Covenant books - the second was a bit depressing. To kill a Mocking Bird definitely a favourite. One of my favourite series (which I doubt anyone here would have read) is Dorothy Dunnett's Chess Series (Game of Kings, Queens Play, the Disorderly Knights etc). Discovered it BC and thus before chess ( ). I am rereading them (for the fifth time?), at the moment and still discovering new things in the novels.

I read the first book of the 1st and 2nd chronicals of Thomas Covenant but never could get into them.

Have you noticed a new Stephen Donaldson book, a return to the land of the Thomas Covenant series, has been recently released? Can't remember the name but fans of those two series would probably be interested enough to remember.

I read the first book of the 1st and 2nd chronicals of Thomas Covenant but never could get into them.

Have you noticed a new Stephen Donaldson book, a return to the land of the Thomas Covenant series, has been recently released? Can't remember the name but fans of those two series would probably be interested enough to remember.
    I've read it...it's excellent, but it's about Linden Avery as averse to Thomas Covenant

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Semi-chess-relevant: any George RR Martin fans here? I'm betting there are somewhere, though ten years ago I would not have been so confident. It's hard to believe with the success of the Song of Ice and Fire books, but he started out in speculative fiction (primarily often somewhere between SF and horror but difficult to really pin down) and used to be quite a sporadic author writing short stories and a few, not especially long, novels, as well as working in TV and on the Wild Cards mosaic novels.

The chess relevance: George used to be a rather good player in the USA and used to supplement his writer's income by directing chess tournaments. Exactly how good he was I'm not quite sure, but I suspect around 2100 strength.

His short(ish) story "Unsound Variations" (it's about 70 pages long) discusses at some length a very sharp position from "an obscure variation of the Sicilian". I got curious enough about this game with all its combinations and so on that I emailed him and asked if it was based on a real game. He said that it was not but it was based on his memory of playing these types of positions.

CC Candidate Master
    Matthew Reilly's "Scarecrow" (favourite)
    Lemony Snickets' "Series of Unfortunate Events"
    Tamora Pierce's "The Lioness Quartet"- a mini series from a larger series
    J. K. Rowling "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince"
    Random assortment of Paul Jennings mini-stories

Want to read other Matthew Reilly books- can anyone suggest the best one?
    Last edited by Careth; 06-11-2005 at 11:19 PM.
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Ice station is Reillys first book I think,Hollywood is making a movie of it now so you might want to read soon...

I really like Burmese Days by George Orwell.
    I just finished reading it. Fantastic book.. I empathised a great deal with Flory. I think it's on par with 1984.. very different but great writing.

Anyway, best book ever is still Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Think I remember listing other good books on another thread.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Thread Information