Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

A $100,000 sponsorship of chess!

The Largest ever sponsorship of Chess was announced today at the Elwood Weekender.

Details available www.chesskids.com.au/community.htm

Extract of the launch speach as follows:

CHESS KIDS
    COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT FUND

Community and Commercial working together.

With the expansion of Chess Kids into other states of Australia over the past 12 months it has become necessary to formalise what has in fact been happening for the past 10 years throughout Australia.

That is, Chess Kids support of our chess community. An ongoing example of “Community and Commercial working together”.

Please find information here about the Chess Kids Development Fund sponsorship of chess & the community in the amount of $100,000!

Already in 2005 Chess Kids has provided grants to individual players; both junior and senior, schools, charities, kindergartens, community groups, clubs, state associations and tournaments.

The total amount given in the 2005 calendar year is over $51,317.

Just some of the sponsorships of which you may already be aware:
    Ballarat Begonia weekender,
    Elwood Cup Weekender,
    Launceston & Burnie Chess Clubs,
    Tasmanian Chess Association,
    Chess Victoria Inc,
    The Victorian Championships,
    Individuals players;
    -Thomas Hendrey (Tas Junior Champion)
    -Vincent Horton (Tas U/10 Champion)
    - James Morris (current U/14 Vic Champ)
    Australian Masters IM norm event & Victorian Masters IM norm events,
    Mind Sports Australia festival

Looking forward we have earmarked at LEAST $5000 for individual players wanting to participate in Elite or Major events. We have already offered $13,050 in grants to schools to assist with travel and accommodation to the National Open Schools Finals in December.

We have pledged further support of another $50,000 in the upcoming year.

We hope that through our support and involvement with the chess community we will be rewarded with a stronger and more active chess community as well building the Chess Kids brand and customer loyalty for our business and our franchisees. We hope also to secure a greater market share and improve profitability for our shareholders to be able to increase our support of chess in the future.

The Chess Kids Development Fund is “Community and Commercial working together”.

Any individual players; either junior or senior, school, charity, kindergarten, community group, club, state association or tournament who wishes to gain access to the grants available through the Chess Kids Development Fund should apply in writing through community@chesskids.com.au. Spread the word, let others know of the opportunities available and let us, together, build a stronger and more active chess community.

Yours in chess,

David Cordover
    Chess Kids Director

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuru
    The Largest ever sponsorship of Chess was announced today at the Elwood Weekender. <snip>.
    A false statement. It is certainly not the largest ever sponsorship of Chess even if it was true, which it isn't.I doubt it would even be true at the Australian level, let alone on a world scale..

Importantly, for you to claim any of this as being true (which I doubt), you ought to itemise for us the actual sponsorship you provided in cash dollars. I think this would be markedly different from the tax induced business expenses that you may be confuse us mere mortals with.

cheers Fg7

Why don't you begin with the Victorian championship and explain how exactly your company sponsored it? Did any money exchange hands or is it all just a nepotistic tax rort?

cheers Fg7

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    A false statement. It is certainly not the largest ever sponsorship of Chess even if it was true, which it isn't.I doubt it would even be true at the Australian level, let alone on a world scale..
    That's true.

CG, it's fine to do your marketing and to promote chess and I support you with your Vic schools comp and all - but don't make bullshit claims about 'biggest ever in chess'. You lose credibility by claiming things that aren't true. If you were a bit wiser you probably could avoided all the angst coming from others by paying a bit more attention to detail - that way people can't criticise and it looks far more like you are genuinely doing something noble. Being successful doesn't have to include pissing off those you don't see eye to eye with...
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC FIDE Master

Correction

Largest ever Australian Chess sponsorship!

Announced as per above....Sorry - had thought that under the heading "Australian Chess" this might have been assumed....

Largest ever Australian Chess sponsorship!

Announced as per above....Sorry - had thought that under the heading "Australian Chess" this might have been assumed....
    $100K! Geez...your business must be making a bloody killing mate.

AR

[QUOTE=ChessGuru]Largest ever Australian Chess sponsorship!

QUOTE]
    Even this claim is bogus!

Im sure you don't even come close to the Adelaide Lidiums tournaments , let alone the amount of money Lidiums has put back into chess.

A recent Australian championship, run by MCC had about $60,000 dollars in sponsorship, your not even close to that...not to mention all the rest of the cash MCC given back to Australian chess over the years.

Face it your hype is just B.S

cheers Fg7

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    A recent Australian championship, run by MCC had about $60,000 dollars in sponsorship
    FMD! Details please!

DC, firstly i admire what you are doing.

Because you are interested so much in the development of Australian Chess, I hope you will consult with the ACF and state associations as to where the money should go and which applications are best.

This way you can ensure that the money goes where it is needed and not where it publicises Chesskids the most.

ps The Lidums Family Trust has donated much more than 100K.
    Australian Internet Chess Championships-Adults and Juniors
    www.ausnetchess.org

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AES
    The Lidums Family Trust has donated much more than 100K.
    FMD!

In hind sight I can see why you SA event are good

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Tasmanian Chess Association,
    This was a sum that Chess Kids agreed to pay to the TCA as part of the agreement for Chess Kids to run the Junior Champs with TCA approval. It was meant in part to cover our costs arising from the event, such as ratings fees, but since David hasn't sent us the SP files, so far those costs do not exist!

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AES
    This way you can ensure that the money goes where it is needed and not where it publicises Chesskids the most.
    That doesn't sound like a sponsorship - that is charity!

Chess is not in need of charity and I will not be 'donating' money. I will be providing deserving grants and sponsorships. It will be a professional process and we will expect recipiants to behave in a professional manner with regards the sponsorships offered.

As stated in our Goals. One of the main things we are trying to do is to Publicise Chess Kids. We are trying to improve our commercial position and will not entertain donations where there is no commercial benefit in return. This is the true nature of a sponsorship - a win/win situation.

It will be a professional process and we will expect recipiants to behave in a professional manner with regards the sponsorships offered.
    Like you, as if

Cheers Fg7

That doesn't sound like a sponsorship - that is charity!

Chess is not in need of charity and I will not be 'donating' money. I will be providing deserving grants and sponsorships. It will be a professional process and we will expect recipiants to behave in a professional manner with regards the sponsorships offered.

As stated in our Goals. One of the main things we are trying to do is to Publicise Chess Kids. We are trying to improve our commercial position and will not entertain donations where there is no commercial benefit in return. This is the true nature of a sponsorship - a win/win situation.
    In years to come this may be seen as a defining moment in Australian chess history.

For the first time we have DC come out and say plainly that the criterion for any assistance that he gives Australian chess is "What's in it for Chess Kids ie DC?" There is no element of charity or altruism and it's all about money.

Many have suspected this for some time but to receive confirmation from the horse's mouth that he lacks charity and is entirely mercenary in his activities is indeed revelatory.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

ummm......... promising junior would like to go to New Zealand.................

Thread Information