Page 5 of 157 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I'm not sure whether Black needs to get the rooks off right away as it is difficult for White to effectively avoid the rook swap without getting, at least briefly, tied to defence of the h-pawn.
    On second thoughts I'm not sure Black minds if the rooks are on, for example 28...c4 29.Ke3 b4 30.R8d4 Rc7 I had thought the White rook would be useful in pushing that h pawn, whereas the other Black rook is useless. But now it seems to me that pushing the h pawn is not going to be strong anyway, and the Black rook can be used effectively to help the black pawns run.
    Something interesting I have just noticed is that it may be possible for white to win after swapping both sets of rooks if this can be acheived. There appear to be positions where the white king and a-pawn can just hold the queenside while Black's king and f-pawn cannot stop the four pawns on the kingside.
    Yes it seems to me that any king and pawn ending based on this structure is going to be won for white (assuming the king is on the queenside.) But I do not think it is a realistic idea that white will be able to force the rooks off.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    Yes it seems to me that any king and pawn ending based on this structure is going to be won for white (assuming the king is on the queenside.) But I do not think it is a realistic idea that white will be able to force the rooks off.
    No, it's very unlikely both sets will be forced off. But knowing the pure pawn ending is won (which I did not know in the game) gives White a few useful options. Firstly there's no problem crossing the d-file with a lone white rook on d1. Secondly if the white f-pawn stays on f3 and Black attacks it with ...Rf6 in some positions then White may have Rf5 as a defence.

I am getting a bit more sceptical about whether the position is won for white though. After your line 28...Rxd8 29.Rxd8 c4 30.Ke3 and now ...Rc7 31.Kd2 b4!? I am really struggling to find a win for white.

In one of these Tassie comps I was surprised to read a lot of European names, are they remnants of the hydro scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    In one of these Tassie comps I was surprised to read a lot of European names, are they remnants of the hydro scheme?
    Do you mean the Tas Champs history thread? Used to be quite a lot of ex-Hydro players on the scene. I'm not sure if any of the current players are, maybe one or two of the older ones.

Full house tonight for the first time this year with all 14 entrants present and playing and a 15th, Steven Rust UNR, signing up. For the record Chadwick beat Midson, Knight beat Bettiol, Cohen beat Sheerwater in a long and interesting game, Kruup won his first rated game (against Martin), Richards drew with Ivkovic, Abbott drew with Slidziunas across a large rating difference and Bonham beat himself somewhere in the vicinity of Markovitz:

Actually at the time I thought 31...f5 was the game-losing blunder but it probably isn't, rather it just stops the game from being dead drawn right away and gives White chances, and then 33...Rb5? and the failed swindle attempt 43...Rd2?? both help White win easily under the impression that Black is more lost than is actually the case.

I haven't written any notes for the game up to ...f5 but the postmortem up to that point was very interesting. Annotation of the first 31 moves is left as an exercise for the andytoh.

Markovitz (US2041) - Bonham (2004)

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 27-03-2007 at 01:07 AM.

Good game. Nicely annotated. Thanks.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master
    After 43...Ke6 the 44.c8Q line looks like a draw to me. That is without giving it much thought though. 44.Rd8 looks strong. I think computer analysis would find some 44th move giving a clear win. Human analysis would work to, of course, but for this position you just need to make sure the computer isn't missing a perpetual or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    After 43...Ke6 the 44.c8Q line looks like a draw to me. That is without giving it much thought though. 44.Rd8 looks strong. I think computer analysis would find some 44th move giving a clear win. Human analysis would work to, of course, but for this position you just need to make sure the computer isn't missing a perpetual or something.
    44.Rd8 Nxh2+ and Black seems to have at least a draw as White cannot make any better progress with the pawn than winning the exchange as in the 44.c8Q line.

This is the second recent game where I've beaten myself by thinking I was dead lost when I probably wasn't even losing at all. Quite out of character really.

CC International Master
    44.Rd8 Nxh2+ and Black seems to have at least a draw as White cannot make any better progress with the pawn than winning the exchange as in the 44.c8Q line.
    Ugh, this is the second time I made this mistake on here. I copied the game position after f5 to a viewer (this is a hella old laptop, not worth analysing with) and then input a wrong move somewhere so that I had the Knight on d3. Hm actually my position was way off, I think I had Ke6 on move 41. I guess looking at the small board on chesschat might produce less errors than my copying errors

Club will open Easter Monday.

Club Champs leading scores at this early stage Cohen 3/3 Markovitz 2/2 Knight and Chadwick 3.5/4 Bonham 4/5 (work out for yourself which order these go in).

Tonight's games were all won according to rating (most of them easily) except that Bettiol beat Martin after the latter blundered a knight to a backwards bishop capture in an otherwise drawish minor piece ending.

A crosstable of the current standings if anyone's interested:

The spreadsheet automatically reports the leaders based on their fractional score - hence Cohen (3/3) and Markovitz (2/2) are listed as current leaders with a 100% score.

Kevin - let me know if I've missed any results.
    "the other lefty"

Wow. Very work James (and Sante - I noticed Sante was noting down results which I assume went into this.)

Very observant observers will notice that Bonham is shown as having White against Markovitz but actually misread the crosstable and played with Black! This happens now and then but I can't remember having ever done it myself.

If there's any DoPs or arbiters out there that'd like a copy of the spreadsheet, let me know and I'll post it up. It's quite nifty
    "the other lefty"

Quote Originally Posted by Eurotrash
    If there's any DoPs or arbiters out there that'd like a copy of the spreadsheet, let me know and I'll post it up. It's quite nifty
    Please post it up.

Btw, DOP and arbiter are the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Please post it up.
    Done. Whilst the sheet isn't password protected, it is protected (with no password) and some things are hidden - more to protect it from people inadvertently breaking the formulae. In particular, the formula that reports the tournament leader is quite complex - so if you/anyone wants aspects of the sheet changed (eg space for more entrants) I recommend you ask me to make the changes

Other than that, should be easy to operate - just enter the names and scores and off you go. Let me know if you find any problems with it too
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Southpaw Jim; 05-04-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    "the other lefty"

Thread Information