Page 4 of 158 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    KB, have you ever been accused of having a conflict of interest, you put comps on so that you can win the prizemoney?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurotrash
    Kev - no club on Monday 12th I take it?
    Club is open Monday 12th despite the public holiday to the best of my knowledge. If it is off I will post here.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    KB, have you ever been accused of having a conflict of interest, you put comps on so that you can win the prizemoney?
    Not that I recall. In any case there is no prizemoney for the club events discussed on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Damn you are twisted stirrer AC. That's damn funny as a comedic observation, but that's about all.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Final results of the HICC rapidplay event, a double round-robin (G15/+10). Ratings are rapidplay ratings where these differ from the player's normal rating. Each player's score over the board is given in brackets after their total score, as 13 of the 72 scheduled games not played were variously ruled as forfeits or draw-forfeits (unrated in either case), depending on attendance.

14.5 (14.5/16) K. Bonham 2099
    9.5 (8.5/12) C. Chadwick 1756
    9.5 (7.5/14) S. Cohen 1468
    9 (8/14) M. Ivkovic 1585
    8.5 (6.5/14) M. Midson 1540
    8.5 (5.5/11) J. Martin 1571
    5 (5/16) S. Bettiol 1359
    4 (3/9) M. Saunders 1763
    3.5 (.5/12) J. Abbott 1065
    Scratched: 0/2 J. O'Mara 1548

The club's Lightning Championship was held tonight and attracted a good field of 11 players.

Here's a sample of the early action. I think John Watson should know about this:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.Nb5(TN) 0-1

Going into round eight, Nigel Frame (7/7) and Kevin Bonham (6/6+bye) led the event. Frame played a 2.Nf3/3.e5 French and Bonham got a very disorganised position but was able to untangle following exchanges. Bonham won a pawn going into the ending and although Frame was well ahead on the clock, White's bishop could do nothing against Black's knight.

Bonham almost dropped back to equal first in the second last round when he was totally outplayed by Peter Knight, leaving Knight about 25 seconds to convert with king, bishop and five pawns against king and three pawns. Knight duly delivered mate with 3 seconds on his clock but it was the other sort of mate and another half point went into the swindle bag.

The key last round games were Bonham-George and Frame-Cohen. Anything could have happened in the former with wild kingside attacks by both players into their final 20 seconds. What actually happened was George lost on time a few moves later - it appeared he would be mated next move but it was then discovered Bonham's queen was en prise! However this was academic in determining first place as meanwhile Cohen had beaten Frame.

9.5/10 K. Bonham
    8 N. Frame
    7.5 P. Knight
    7 R. George
    6 H. Sheerwater
    5 C. Chadwick, S. Cohen
    3 O. Williams
    2 J. Abbott, M. Midson
    0 G. Richards

Increments will be used in the Club Championship for the first time; an extra 10 seconds per move will be added to the 90 minutes flat from previous years.

It was nice to not come dead last for once!

As for the draw for the first few rounds... sheesh!
    "the other lefty"

Quote Originally Posted by Eurotrash
    As for the draw for the first few rounds... sheesh!
    Bonham, Frame, and Knight in a row first up! It was a complete fluke of the order that the names went on the paper in that that happened.

Club champs entries thus far (three weeks to go til entries are closed):

Neil Markovitz (USCF 2041), Kevin Bonham (2004), Peter Knight (1995), Charles Chadwick (1713), John Slidziunas (1675), Henry Sheerwater (1615), Milutin Ivkovic (1551), Mike Midson (1540), Janice Martin (1503), Scott Cohen (1468), Graham Richards (1335), James Abbott (1065), Andrew Kruup (UNR).

Tonight's games included a draw between Knight and Chadwick (Chadwick looked better towards the end but nothing concrete was found in the postmortem) and Sheerwater putting up a really good fight against Markovitz before the latter finally won.

An entertaining game from tonight's round of the club championships:

White: Kevin Bonham
    Black: James Abbott (moi)
    Result: 1-0

PGN Viewer

Kevin, below are the results from a "shootout analysis" starting after 28.Kf2:

Shoot out:
    ----- Ply = 3 -----
    Fritz 9 0-1
    Fritz 9 0-1
    ----- Ply = 5 -----
    Fritz 9 0-1
    Fritz 9 0-1
    ----- Ply = 7 -----
    Fritz 9 1-0
    Fritz 9 1-0
    ----- Ply = 9 -----
    Fritz 9 ½-½
    Fritz 9 ½-½

Score White: 37%, 8 Games
    It'd be nice to think I could score this well from the position, but I suspect that my nascent endgame technique would've handed the game to you on a platter eventually
    Last edited by Southpaw Jim; 19-03-2007 at 11:01 PM.
    "the other lefty"

Hi James

It's taken me a year to find out your name. With that out of the way, I'll watch the game - odds on Bonham swindled you.

EDIT after viewing. No swindle, or mutual swindle at best. Yes, very entertaining.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

It was a fun game and Eurotrash put up a very good fight but there were quite a lot of tactical errors:

15.Nxe5? - this is refuted by ...Nf4 winning a piece for two pawns since 16.Qg4 dxe5 17.dxe5 Ng6 (or ...Ne6) 18.f4, I had seen this position but forgot to count the knights! That said although White is objectively losing I have won a lot of games from this kind of position. I should have just played 15.dxe5 with Nc4 and a clear positional plus to follow.

17...Ne6 is best for black.

Yes 19.Rd6 is not the strongest but I wimped out of the superior 19.Nc4 on account of ...Qe6 not realising that then if 20.exf6 Qxe6 then 21.e5! Qg5 22.h4! wins a piece.

And again I didn't play Nc4 on move 21 because although it was obviously strong (I had seen 21....Qxa2 22.Nb6) I was too lazy to analyse exactly what I was winning and thought if I just took the knight instead I would quickly clean up on the kingside. Well, I might have if I'd played 24.Rf6 or Rxh6 instead of Rd8 which was rubbish.

My last in a very long series of tactical misses in this game was that 29.R1d6+ wins a pawn because if ...Re6?? 30.Rxe8 Rxd6 31.e5+ winning a rook!

I've looked at the position after 29.Kf2 quite a bit now and I suspect it's won for white with very best play but only just. In practical terms black has serious drawing chances.

Those shootouts are fun but below about ply 7-9 they tend to be full of blunders.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 19-03-2007 at 11:19 PM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I've looked at the position after 29.Kf2 quite a bit now and I suspect it's won for white with very best play but only just. In practical terms black has serious drawing chances.
    Looks like one of those positions Korchnoi would spend pages and pages over to figure out what correct play is. Do you start with Rxd8 and Rc7 or c4 or something else?

Actually to be correct [edit: no, maybe next time!] I was looking at 28...c4 (instead of ...Kf6) 29.Kf2. After 28...Kf6 29.Kf2 white is probably still winning whatever black does.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 20-03-2007 at 12:55 AM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Actually to be correct I was looking at 28...c4 (instead of ...Kf6) 29.Kf2. After 28...Kf6 29.Kf2 white is probably still winning whatever black does.
    I'm a bit confused, the pgn in the thread gives 28.Kf2 Kf6. I agree Kf6 is no good, whatever move number it is coming on anyway.

Do you think it is better for Black to allow white to keep two rooks on? For some reason I feel as though that might be bad for him (some vague notion of the relative ability of how the rooks will co-ordinate in the future.) My alternative line was 28...Rxd8 29.Rxd8 Rc7 30. Ke3 and now I am not sure how the game should end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    I'm a bit confused, the pgn in the thread gives 28.Kf2 Kf6. I agree Kf6 is no good, whatever move number it is coming on anyway.
    Sorry, my brain's really not working tonight! I'll see if I can get this right (at the third attempt!) - I was looking at 28.Kf2 c4.

I'm not sure whether Black needs to get the rooks off right away as it is difficult for White to effectively avoid the rook swap without getting, at least briefly, tied to defence of the h-pawn.

Something interesting I have just noticed is that it may be possible for white to win after swapping both sets of rooks if this can be acheived. There appear to be positions where the white king and a-pawn can just hold the queenside while Black's king and f-pawn cannot stop the four pawns on the kingside.

Thread Information