Page 137 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137
Results 2,041 to 2,048 of 2048
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Next week, Monday 26 June is a postponement week.

The following games are scheduled for next week:

Shouvojit Sarker (16) [2+P] : Sam Cotton (6) [2+P]
    William Rumley (11) [1+P] : Michael Midson (8) [2+P]
    Tan Thanh Nguyen (2) [1+P] : Joshua Perrin (13) [1+P]
    James Jennings (10) [0+P] : Adam Rutledge (15) [0+P]

Next week is a free week for: Bonham, Little, Cohen, Nagy, Shepherd and Zeeman. If these players are absent next week they do not need to notify.

We expect to do the round 5 draw at the end of next week's games and play round 5 on Monday 5 July. This plan may change if too many of the postponements are postponed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Nagy - Bonham. A tough game and Alex was better for a fair bit of it but let me get a big king-side counter-attack which was quickly decisive.

PGN Viewer

A cute finish! I suppose the suggested 10...Qe8! has the idea of breaking with 11... f6 before White has a chance to castle? White probably needed Nf3 at some time between moves 25–29 to control g5 and eventually occupy e5.
    “The best part of adopting conservatism after years of leftism, by the way, is how much easier life becomes. If you’re a conservative, facts are generally all you need to establish a case or mount an argument. If you’re a leftist, however, you always have to find a way around the facts, which is why combative lefties always sound like lawyers knowingly representing a guilty client.”—Tim Blair

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    A cute finish! I suppose the suggested 10...Qe8! has the idea of breaking with 11... f6 before White has a chance to castle?
    Yes. I thought it was necessary to stop b4, but in fact after 10...Qe8 if white tries 11.b4 Bb6 12.a4 then 12...f6 13.a5 Bxd4 and white loses a pawn, although black has to then play carefully to ensure white can't get full compensation. If white avoids this line he is clearly worse.

White probably needed Nf3 at some time between moves 25–29 to control g5 and eventually occupy e5.
    Yes or 29.h4! is also good.

I saw the Q sac about 3-4 moves out but there were many other winning lines.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    A cute finish!
    I believe this pattern has a name; it's called Anastasia's mate (not sure who Anastasia was or her involvement with it.)

According to Wikipedia it is named after the story Anastasia und das Schachspiel by Johann Jakob Wilhelm Heinse. Also see https://www.chess.com/blog/batgirl/a...-game-of-chess. However, looking at the position, I am not sure if technically this counts as Anastasia's mate (someone may be able to tell me). Normally the N would be on e2 and the sac on h2. Same pattern though. Nice.
    Last edited by GoodNite; 20-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNite View Post
    According to Wikipedia it is named after the story Anastasia und das Schachspiel by Johann Jakob Wilhelm Heinse. Also see https://www.chess.com/blog/batgirl/a...-game-of-chess. However, looking at the position, I am not sure if technically this counts as Anastasia's mate (someone may be able to tell me). Normally the N would be on e2 and the sac on h2. Same pattern though. Nice.
    I think it qualifies as Anastasia's mate, just shifted up a rank. The following is probably the most famous example of the type in the above game:

Boris Spassky vs Viktor Korchnoi, Candidates Final (1968), Kiev, rd 7, 19 Sep 1969.
    “The best part of adopting conservatism after years of leftism, by the way, is how much easier life becomes. If you’re a conservative, facts are generally all you need to establish a case or mount an argument. If you’re a leftist, however, you always have to find a way around the facts, which is why combative lefties always sound like lawyers knowingly representing a guilty client.”—Tim Blair

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Next week, Monday 26 June is a postponement week.

The following games are scheduled for next week:

Shouvojit Sarker (16) [2+P] : Sam Cotton (6) [2+P]
    William Rumley (11) [1+P] : Michael Midson (8) [2+P]
    Tan Thanh Nguyen (2) [1+P] : Joshua Perrin (13) [1+P]
    James Jennings (10) [0+P] : Adam Rutledge (15) [0+P]
    Unfortunately Sarker - Cotton has been postponed again. Hopefully we can get the rest played tonight.

Rumley 0-1 Midson
    Nguyen 1-0 Perrin
    Jennings 1-0 Rutledge

Most of the postponed games were played at warp speed. Three (almost four) players finished with more time than they started (in one case nearly twelve minutes more) and two of the winners missed mate in 1 (they chose mates in a few instead.) Will was playing very fast against Michael (possibly because of having school tomorrow) and won a pawn but Michael played strong positional chess in a rook + SCB middlegame and eventually got crushing counterplay down an open file.

Week 5 is on next week (Monday 3rd July). Draw for week 5:

Code:
    No Name               Total  Result   Name                  Total

1 Kevin Bonham (1)   [4]       :     Scott Cohen (4)       [3.5]
     2 Sam Cotton (6)     [2+p]     :     Michael Midson (8)    [3]  
     3 Chris Shepherd (9) [2]       :     Alex Nagy (7)         [2.5]
     4 Mark Zeeman (14)   [2]       :     Tan Thanh Nguyen (2)  [2]  
     5 Ian Little (5)     [2]       :     Shouvojit Sarker (16) [2+p]  
     6 Joshua Perrin (13) [1]       :     James Jennings (10)   [1]  
     7 Adam Rutledge (15) [1]       :     William Rumley (11)   [1]  
     8 Les Hay (12)       [0]      0:0    BYE
    Little - Sarker and Rutledge-Rumley are already postponed, the latter for at least 2 weeks.

As school holidays start on the 10th and as one player will have two postponements it is likely that the 10th will not be a regular tournament week and there might be some kind of ad hoc tournament for those who don't have postponed games scheduled. However I'll confirm this later.

A quick special meeting is scheduled for the 10th at 6:40 to (hopefully!) pass a motion relating to incorporation auditing exemption. It should only take a few minutes.

Thread Information