Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

More Information Required!

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I blame Gunner Duggan!
    Query.
    You blame me for talking sense and bringing balance to your sheltered existence (ie you're now centred), or blame my dribblings, pomposity and fatuous approach to everything for pushing you towards the left?
    Last edited by Basil; 04-07-2007 at 11:56 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    For the first I scored
    Economic Left/Right: 5.63
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.26

On the second:
    Greens 8.5%
    Australian Democrats 22.9%
    Labor Party 31.6%
    Family First 69.7%
    Liberal Party 85.7%
    National Party 88.7%
    One Nation 77.8%

Your broad political orientation score is 77.2%, which equates to a ‘Far Right’ position

Your economic policy score score is 86.5%. This equates to a ‘Far Right’ position

Your social policy score is 95.8%. This equates to a ‘Far Right’ position

Your traditional values score is 96.2%. This equates to a ‘Far Right’ position

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Your broad political orientation score is 77.2%, which equates to a ‘Far Right’ position

Your economic policy score score is 86.5%. This equates to a ‘Far Right’ position

Your social policy score is 95.8%. This equates to a ‘Far Right’ position

Your traditional values score is 96.2%. This equates to a ‘Far Right’ position
    I knew you were strong right, but they're BIG numbers!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    I knew you were strong right, but they're BIG numbers!
    Sometimes I even surprise myself Yet these numbers don't tell anyone which specifics I voted for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Sometimes I even surprise myself Yet these numbers don't tell anyone which specifics I voted for.
    No they don't. But they do confirm many things - one being that you won't require a bleeding heart transplant any time soon

You blame me for talking sense and bringing balance to your sheltered existence (ie you're now centred), or blame my dribblings, pomposity and fatuous approach to everything for pushing you towards the left?
    Indubitably the latter! All is not lost though, I also scored:

Greens 25.3%
    Australian Democrats 40.9%
    Labor Party 57.2%
    Family First 81%
    Liberal Party 88.6%
    National Party 83.5%
    One Nation 73.2%

According to the second test I'm somewhere between right and centre right:
    -- Your broad political orientation score is 35.7%, which equates to a ‘Centre Right’ position
    -- Your economic policy score score is 43.8%. This equates to a ‘Right’ position
    -- Your social policy score is 41.4%. This equates to a ‘Centre Right’ position
    -- Your traditional values score is 68.9%. This equates to a ‘Right’ position
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

No they don't. But they do confirm many things - one being that you won't require a bleeding heart transplant any time soon
    Heh Not sure why One Nation was rated higher than Family First though. ON is quite leftist economically and even on some of the traditional values issues. But does this mean that the Coalition is a far right party?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    It's interesting that OzPolitics flags Jono as consistently right-wing but the Political Compass ranks him as neutral on the libertarian/authoritarian scale. Also that Frosty ranks as consistently fairly right-wing on OzPolitics but mildly left on Political Compass. To some degree this may represent the latter being skewed to an American left/right concept which is considerably more "right-wing" than ours but I also suspect both tests are a bit out. For instance my guess for Jono for the Political Compass was about (7,3).

But does this mean that the Coalition is a far right party?
    I think what it means is that the Coalition is more consistently "right-wing" than either FF or ON both of which have leftist leanings (in different ways) on some economic issues. Australia doesn't really have a recognisable "far right" party of any significance.

I don't know about Political Compass being gospel.

I got all my questions right! and these are the results:

Economic Left/Right: -3.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10

The OzPolitics is much better at reflecting an individual's orientation IMO. While I accept (with honour) my 'social' score, it is simply a fact that the 'economic' score on the Political Compass is incorrect.

Given that I answered the questions correctly!, the algorithms must be wrong On a more serious note, Kevin's assessment of the definition and the US origins is quite likely a major key.
    Last edited by Basil; 04-07-2007 at 03:17 PM.

CC Grandmaster

Oz Politics test

Greens 19.5% (isn't it a bit too much?)
    Australian democrats 29.4%
    Labor Party 43.1%
    Family First 59.4% (who in the hell are they?)
    Liberal Party 81.8%
    National 81.3%
    One Nation 69.1% (they must be joking)

political 48.7%
    economical 90.5%
    Social 68.8%
    Traditional (whatever it is) 23%

I have no idea how they differentiate positions, even though some questions I found dubious and I am sure for some their interpretation of my answers would not be accurate.

Here are few questions I found poorly formulated:

1. There is too much nudity and explicit sexual material on television
    What does it matter if I agree or disagree? IMHO, TV station can show whatever they want, and I can decide whether I want to watch it or not. If it have too much (or not enough ) "nudity and explicit sexual material" to my liking I will not watch it (and in some cases don't let my kids watch it).

I guess test designer would expect me to say "strongly disagree", but it would not be correct.

2. The small business sector needs bigger tax breaks and more start-up grants from government
    I strongly disagreed, but simply because I don't think any business should get specific tax-breaks or start-up grants, not because of my preference to big business or dislike of small business.

3. A political party should refine its policy position on the basis of opinion polls to ensure it is responsive to what the public wants.
    Isn't it up to the party? Why my views on that should matter? If I say yes or no, how does it define my political position?

4. A high rate of inflation is a more serious economic problem than a high rate of unemployment

They both might be problem is some circumstances. In other cases they are not. Option "irrelevant" would be helpful

5. The government should legislate for gay marriages or civil unions
    I strongly disagreed simply because I do not think government should legislate marriage at all and leave it to a private contract. It's interesting that the more government legislate to support marriage the higher rate of divorce is.
    Guess my answer would align me with homophobic political views, while it would be the same for heterosexual marriage as well.

6. Unions are the democratic voice of working people
    Some are and some are not. How am I suppose to answer that question?

7. Unemployed people should work for the dole
    I strongly disagree, but I expect it makes me a supporter of welfare state?

8. High schools should provide students with condom vending machines and syringe disposal points
    Where is the option "up to school and parents"?

9. The government should actively support multiculturalism.
    While I think that multiculturalism is a good thing, I don't believe government should spend money on it or meddle in any way. So , the answer is "strongly disagree", yet the poll designer would happily align me with One Nation or someone like that on that issue.

The test is not as bad as it could be, but some questions are loaded and do give enough options. Something like "irrelevant" or skip would be helpful
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Grandmaster

Political compass

Economic Left/Right 4.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54

Bottom right quarter, right libertarian.

I found questions even more dubious and loaded then oz politics, but 2-dimensional division is much more informative.

CC Grandmaster

Another quiz

Try this one:
    http://ldp.org.au/quiz/index.html
    I found them easier to answer

Given that I answered the questions correctly!, the algorithms must be wrong On a more serious note, Kevin's assessment of the definition and the US origins is quite likely a major key.
    The Aussie site gave the option of more nuanced answers, instead of yes or no. But even then, some of the questions were not the best.

A lot of Igor's examples show the need for a "Don't Care" option on these questions. However I suppose a vote somewhere in the middle of the shading will reflect that to a degree (not sure if you can just leave questions blank).

2. The small business sector needs bigger tax breaks and more start-up grants from government
    I strongly disagreed, but simply because I don't think any business should get specific tax-breaks or start-up grants, not because of my preference to big business or dislike of small business.
    That is the answer they would be after from you in that situation.

3. A political party should refine its policy position on the basis of opinion polls to ensure it is responsive to what the public wants.
    Isn't it up to the party? Why my views on that should matter? If I say yes or no, how does it define my political position?
    It tests whether or not you are a populist, which is typically seen as a right-leaning position.

5. The government should legislate for gay marriages or civil unions
    I strongly disagreed simply because I do not think government should legislate marriage at all and leave it to a private contract.
    Probably this is really a "strongly agree" type response since you are agreeing that the government should make gay marriages legal - just disputing that it is any of the government's business to conduct them.

9. The government should actively support multiculturalism.
    While I think that multiculturalism is a good thing, I don't believe government should spend money on it or meddle in any way. So , the answer is "strongly disagree", yet the poll designer would happily align me with One Nation or someone like that on that issue.
    This is a good point because the question does not discriminate between strong symbolic support and strong financial support. It's possible a person supports the former but not the latter, in which case either an agree answer or a disagree answer are both incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Try this one:
    http://ldp.org.au/quiz/index.html
    I found them easier to answer
    I found one of them quite difficult to answer:

5) How much should the government regulate the labour market? Should the government be involved and if so, how much responsibility should remain with individuals?
    The reason I found that one difficult to answer is that my answer to it depends on the welfare system in place at the time. If there is a more or less unconditional and strong safety net then my answer is:

"Abolish minimum wage and all labour market regulations"

but if there is only the present welfare system then my answer is:

"Maintain current labour market regulations, with regular standard increases in the minimum wage"

which makes quite a deal of difference in the scores (or should!).

Something I have noticed with that test is that if you resubmit the same answers you may get different results! For instance I initially scored (6,8) then went back to test what effect changes in my answers would have on my score - since then I keep getting (5,5) to (6,5) more or less whatever I put in.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 04-07-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Thread Information