Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar

Ergas Australian Junior Chess Squad

The 'launch' at the closing ceremony of the Juniors in Perth didn't *quite* go to plan, but I am pleased to announce the first 9 selections for the 2004 squad.
    Further selections will be made in due course, and now that I am back in Sydney I should have a chance to finish off the website in the next few days.

NECG Squad 2004

Denis Bourmistrov
    Michael Wei
    Dusan Stojic
    Vincent Suttor
    Gareth Oliver
    Junta Ikeda
    Mouthun Ly
    Angela Song
    Raymond Song

Congratulations to these kids (I managed to inform most of them after the presentation that they had been selected for the squad) - they are the future of chess in this country, and hopefully if they are fostered well, can potentially produce a number of titled players in time, and make Australia more competitive on the world scale.

Only one girl at the moment. I like to think as a chess community we will make lot more efforts to encourage female participation for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by peanbrain
    Only one girl at the moment. I like to think as a chess community we will make lot more efforts to encourage female participation for the future?
    As you may be aware, there is a quota of 3 under 14 girls for the squad. It would be good if Australia were able to compete on a world scale in both the boys and girls ranks. As it stands, of the applicants, only Angela stood out as a 'must have' for the squad. The other places will be filled, but it will be much more difficult to decide who is most deserving of these spots.
    I should be able to post the website URL in the next few days.

Let's have a little fun. Out of those in the squad above, I predict Ikeda to be a future titled player - an IM.

Here's hoping that one day we get to produce our very own Magnus Carlsen.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Let's have a little fun. Out of those in the squad above, I predict Ikeda to be a future titled player - an IM.

AR
    I'm greedy - I don't just want one. I'll go for Moulthun, Ray and Junta.

AR
    let's not have silly predictions - we are talking about real kids here arosa!
    A bit of senstivity will do you no harm ....

AR
    I've changed my mind. We should make it more fun like arosar suggested so here goes my prediction: "that arosar will never make it to the NECG squad"!!

And I'm willing to take $10000 bets on it!!

Lightbulb

The NECG Australian Junior Chess Squad webpage has finally been finished.
    NECG Webpage
    It has all the information about the squad, as well as the rating reports for the 53 applicants, as well as the supporting statements that were included.

All information has now been sent to the selection panel, who now have the unenviable task of trying to sort out who should be in the squad.
    The panel consists of:
    Kerry Stead (NSW), George Howard (SA), Jenni Oliver (ACT), Ian Rogers (NSW), Gary Lane (NSW), Brett Tindall (NSW), Geoff Saw (Vic), Manuel Weeks (NSW), Joe Tanti (SA).
    The primary consideration when choosing the panel was that they have a good knowledge of the players involved and know something of their play, temperament, etc.

Further additions to the squad already announced should be done within a week or so, and I expect the entire squad to be finalised by the end of February, so that all members have plenty of time to organise arrangements for the first squad session immediately after the Doeberl Cup in Canberra.
    Last edited by Kerry Stead; 12-02-2004 at 01:31 AM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    The NECG Australian Junior Chess Squad webpage has finally been finished.
    NECG Webpage
    Jolly good stuff Kerry

Good site, and obvious a lot of hard work and effort has gone into this

You should be proud of your efforts

well done indeed
    Always do your Best

CC International Master
    I have looked at some of the supporting statements from candidates - and they range from no supporting statements, to adequate to a mini "war and peace".

My favourite supporting statement is from a candidate, who just wrote this little gem as his supporting statement - "pretty soon all of you are going to have to bow down and worship my magnificent force".

Now that people can see what other candidates wrote, can they continue to provide additional statements? Is there a deadline for this, as Kerry stated that the selection panel is already looking at these statements?
    Always do your Best

If you noticed, there was a deadline that has already passed (December 15) for candidates to apply for the squad and submit additional information, so no more information can be submitted. The selection panel basically got the information on the website, as well as some spreadsheets that Jenni Oliver put together from the rating reports. I also included cross tables from the Australian Reserves and Australian Juniors.

Some of 'em applicants need to be taught how to write an application letter. They seem to be just mucking around.

AR

Some of 'em applicants need to be taught how to write an application letter. They seem to be just mucking around.

AR
    That's kids for you. If you can't be anarchic when you are young when can you?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    My favourite supporting statement is from a candidate, who just wrote this little gem as his supporting statement - "pretty soon all of you are going to have to bow down and worship my magnificent force".

I can only hope selectors take seriously such Kasparovian self-confidence
    cheers - paulb

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb

I can only hope selectors take seriously such Kasparovian self-confidence
    Kasparov has the results, experiences and titles to feel and express such self-confidence
    Always do your Best

Thread Information