Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 202
  1. #1
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680

    Victorian OPEN 2004

    Early planning details
    > 12-14 June 2004
    >> Early Bird discounts will be significant.
    >>> Sponsorship in the bank is running $1000 ahead of plan. Unexpected donations of $300 from the Whitehorse Junior Chess Inc, and $300 from the Fischer_Random Support Group have been two notable sponsorships that came out of the blue. Bank at the moment is $1200
    >>>> Pledged sponsorship is an additional $500 to date.

    >Web-site has been constructed and location will be advertised here in the coming week.
    >> Tournament location is the Box Hill chess Club.
    >>> Target for entries...80.

    Bob
    Could you send me your financial budgetting spreadship for me to test drive.

    starter

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,369
    starter, do you have an idea how much the entry fee will be for victorian open and what will the early bird discount be?

  3. #3
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    starter, do you have an idea how much the entry fee will be for victorian open and what will the early bird discount be?
    gg''y'y

    Entry fee will be on the low side and discount will reduce even further. The working proposal, brochures, tournament plan etc are being presented to the organising committee tonight (formally) for the first time.
    Will let the BB know as info. firms up.

    starter

  4. #4
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    starter, do you have an idea how much the entry fee will be for victorian open and what will the early bird discount be?
    g''''''''y

    Organising Committee last met last night and some of the head-line details are

    > First prize $1000
    >> Early bird discount $15
    >>> Entry fee $60

    Already one confirmed entrant ...>>>.... the current Australian Junior Champion (who is also on the organising committee).

    starter


    PS. All events held at Box Hill for the first half of 2004 can be viewed at
    http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=5441#post5441

  5. #5
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    VICTORIAN OPEN 2004

    Some of the head-line details are

    > First prize $1000
    >> Early bird discount $15
    >>> Entry fee $60

    Already one confirmed entrant ...>>>.... the current Australian Junior Champion (who is also on the organising committee).

    starter

    Web-site is now being populated at the now available

    www.vicchess.netfirms.com

    www.vicchess.netfirms.com

    starter

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,369
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    VICTORIAN OPEN 2004

    Some of the head-line details are

    > First prize $1000
    >> Early bird discount $15
    >>> Entry fee $60

    Already one confirmed entrant ...>>>.... the current Australian Junior Champion (who is also on the organising committee).

    starter

    Web-site is now being populated at the now available

    www.vicchess.netfirms.com

    www.vicchess.netfirms.com

    starter
    when does the early bird discount close?

  7. #7
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    VICTORIAN OPEN 2004

    Some of the head-line details are

    > First prize $1000
    >> Early bird discount $15
    >>> Entry fee $60

    Already one confirmed entrant ...>>>.... the current Australian Junior Champion (who is also on the organising committee).

    starter

    Web-site is now being populated at the now available

    www.vicchess.netfirms.com

    www.vicchess.netfirms.com

    starter

    Hi,

    So I see new club is organizing the Vic Open this year. They probably had a big meeting, a healthy discussion and abolished lots of things previous organizers done right.

    What happened to the concession entry? Why is there increase in entry fee to $60? Surely with all the sponsorship from retired librarians and Fishy-Random support groups, entry fee didnt have to go up ??

    Also, additional $15 for non-members of any clubs, nice touch that. So basically, organizers are saying: if your are not playing in any clubs this year you less welcome to play in Vic OPEN. Now that will get more entrants.

    And 7pm starting time provides another highlight.

    So, can this year's Vic Open be even weaker than last year's one? Box Hill people seem to think they can achieve that, so lets say good luck to them!

  8. #8
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Hi,

    So I see new club is organizing the Vic Open this year. They probably had a big meeting, a healthy discussion and abolished lots of things previous organizers done right.
    Thanks for the feedback DoroPhil.
    The new BHCC organising committee had notes and advice from the DCC who ran the event last year. We hoped we learned what we could from their successes. And yes, a few things changed because we have a new Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil


    What happened to the concession entry? Why is there increase in entry fee to $60?
    Did you play last year Dorophil.
    How much did you pay?
    If you enter early this year the cost is $45, not $60.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Surely with all the sponsorship from retired librarians and Fishy-Random support groups, entry fee didnt have to go up ??
    Sponsorship is being sought so that we can get the prize-money UP, not drive the entry fees DOWN.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil


    Also, additional $15 for non-members of any clubs, nice touch that. So basically, organizers are saying: if your are not playing in any clubs this year you less welcome to play in Vic OPEN.
    Dorophil, I think it is standard practice in all STATES for members of an Association to get discounts for major events. I know it nearly always costs more to play at the Melbourne Chess Club if you are a non-member. Similarly at Box Hill.
    You will be welcome at the VICTORIAN OPEN if you are not a member of a Chess body, but you will pay a little more for the access to the service.





    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 02-02-2004 at 10:56 AM.

  9. #9
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    when does the early bird discount close?
    gg'gg'

    The Committee was split on this detail. So you will have to watch the web-site for the eventual decision. Likely to be 2 weeks in my view.

    starter

  10. #10
    . eclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,840
    i note with interest how box hill is running the victorian open this year ...

    but ...

    something is not quite right ...

    what is it ?

    THAT'S IT !!!

    they're not running it as a super accelerated two division swiss !!

    (or are they ?)

    hmmm



    eclectic
    .

  11. #11
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    i note with interest how box hill is running the victorian open this year ...

    but ...

    something is not quite right ...

    what is it ?

    THAT'S IT !!!

    they're not running it as a super accelerated two division swiss !!

    (or are they ?)

    hmmm



    eclectic
    eclectic

    A sensational pick-up. You must be the most attentive person here on the bulletin board. You are 100% correct. It is not the super-accelerated two division SWISS. Instead, it will be the type of SWISS everyone is accustomed to.

    starter


    ps
    I got out-voted 3 to 1.
    But then, I have not had a single convert on the BB either.

    My plan is to continue the argument along the same three lines
    1 Highlight the competitiveness of the super-accelerated arrangement.
    2 Highlight the equity of the prizes in C and D quartiles via the BH arrangement, in contrast to the arbitriness of the usual SWISS
    3 Count the dollars as more and more players enter BH events.

    pps
    Careful your footer message doesn't get up Ascaro's nose.
    Last edited by ursogr8; 02-02-2004 at 09:28 AM.

  12. #12
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    262
    Hi starter,

    I really like how you manage to answer all the questions without actually answering them. Attack is the best defence, right?

    Anyway, lets try again.
    Concession entry fee was abolished. Why? Did it prove to be some sort of bad thing in all the events it was offered before?

    Entry fee was increased. Why? Is there some research that suggests that increaing entry fees will do wonders for tournaments?

    And another great innovation of Box Hill people - 8 rating groups!! Was that ever done before ? Will it include such hotly contested groups as under1250, under1050 and under850? Also probably more than 1 prize for each group, right? $60, $25, $15? So that every kiddy gets a prize ?

    This is Victorian Open man. Supposed to be premier event. And I suspect it will be run just as another mass-participation, no-quality event Box Hill is known for...

  13. #13
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,527
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Dorophil, I think it is standard practice in all STATES for members of an Association to get discounts for major events.
    Not this one, but our membership is free anyway.

  14. #14
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680

    2004 VICTORIAN OPEN...questions

    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    Hi starter,

    I really like how you manage to answer all the questions without actually answering them. Attack is the best defence, right?
    DoroPhil.
    No attack intended because I am in the business of attracting players, not getting them off-side.
    Now, I can see you read my response to your first post. Was there any reason why you didn’t answer the questions about whether you played last year and how much you paid? I don’t have access to Dandenong’s records so I am not trying to second-guess your identity. I am just trying to see it from your view >> how much did you pay last year, and is $45 an increase.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil


    Concession entry fee was abolished. Why? Did it prove to be some sort of bad thing in all the events it was offered before?
    I can comment on this (and your other questions) but I will wait for your reply to my two questions above.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil



    This is Victorian Open man. Supposed to be premier event. And I suspect it will be run just as another mass-participation, no-quality event Box Hill is known for...
    The first prize is $1000, and likely to increase. The second prize is $500 and likely to increase. If that does not attract the quality players then I guess that Chess VICTORIA will allocate the event to another Club next year.
    But, for less prize money last year the Dandenong Club ran a successful event that attracted a field that had good quality.
    There is a good chance that this prize-money will be attractive to quality players.

    Field size is likely to be restricted to 80. The venue has previously held events with 136 in the field.

    kind regards
    starter

  15. #15
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    DoroPhil.
    Now, I can see you read my response to your first post. Was there any reason why you didn’t answer the questions about whether you played last year and how much you paid? I don’t have access to Dandenong’s records so I am not trying to second-guess your identity. I am just trying to see it from your view >> how much did you pay last year, and is $45 an increase.

    No, I didn't play last year. Last time I played Vic Open was at Dandenong 2 or 3 years ago. From memory, entry fee was $45 ($35 concession). Could be off by $5 but it was less than $60 for sure and no additional VCA registration fee either.


    I can comment on this (and your other questions) but I will wait for your reply to my two questions above.

    Go ahead.


    But, for less prize money last year the Dandenong Club ran a successful event that attracted a field that had good quality.
    Not really. Last years Vic Open: top seed - S.Solomon (ok), 2nd seed - D.Hacche (not so good), 3rd seed - somebody rated under2000 (real sad). This is just not a good quality field for premiere event. Do you agree?

    And could you talk about rating groups a bit, i.e. how having under1050 group will help attract top players.

    Thanks

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nsw Open 2004
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 13-08-2004, 02:01 PM
  2. University Open National 2004
    By adelaideuni in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 04:41 AM
  3. Tas Open and Lightning 2004
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30-06-2004, 11:38 PM
  4. australian open at 2004, are posters really intending
    By Garvinator in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 09:47 PM
  5. 2004 Victorian Junior
    By ursogr8 in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •