View Poll Results: What is your favourite opening?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sicilian

    25 27.78%
  • Italian

    3 3.33%
  • Spanish

    16 17.78%
  • Ponziani

    1 1.11%
  • Queens Gambit

    9 10.00%
  • Scandinavian

    6 6.67%
  • Austrian

    2 2.22%
  • French

    12 13.33%
  • Kings Indian

    9 10.00%
  • Caro-Kann

    7 7.78%
  • Kings Gambit

    12 13.33%
  • English

    7 7.78%
  • Queens Fiancetto

    3 3.33%
  • Kings Fiancetto

    1 1.11%
  • Birds

    2 2.22%
  • Elephant

    0 0%
  • Latvian

    0 0%
  • Russian Defence

    0 0%
  • Colle System

    3 3.33%
  • Other

    28 31.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
  1. #46
    CC Grandmaster Redmond Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    3,118
    A57 Benko Gambit Nescafe Frappe Gambit

    i love this opening because it proves that brand awareness for a swiss maker of coffee includes indoctrinating chess opening devotees with a product line they may not have been conversant with.

    people mention on here its difficult to raise money for chess. thats silly talk. why not sell the naming rights of opening systems to multinationals. wouldnt it be more fun to use such openings as .......

    C42 petrov toyota vienta attack
    D08 queens gambit declined albin counter gambit arnotts milk arrowroot variation
    B10 caro kann pepsi max defence


    or maybe the highly respected

    B85 sicilian scheveningen smith and wesson
    D88 gruenfeld microsoft-spassky variation
    C95 ruy lopez breyer libra maxi pads variation


    i also like the frankenstein dracula..........
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

  2. #47
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,237
    What? No Tromp? This is not a poll - it's a joke
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  3. #48
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    What? No Tromp? This is not a poll - it's a joke
    I think they have an "other" option!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  4. #49
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    I think they have an "other" option!
    I didn't think anyone loved the Tromp. It was just played by Queens Gambit players who couldn't face the Nimzo.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  5. #50
    CC Grandmaster Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    2,523
    The French. Its a well worn garment but always surprises me with new wrinkles. Against 1.e4 I've also played Pirc, Modern, Sicilian, Alekhine's, and even 1...e5.

    I've experimented with the English in recent years (I wish I had KB's record with it!) but 1.e4 is a better way to use the White pieces unless playing someone who is very well prepared.

  6. #51
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    I've experimented with the English in recent years (I wish I had KB's record with it!) but 1.e4 is a better way to use the White pieces unless playing someone who is very well prepared.
    My record with the English is no longer as good as it was at the start of this thread. I've had three losses with it now, against Dyer, Markovitz and Steward. The Dyer one (first time he beat me when he was only rated 1300-odd) was a close game and was one of those things that happens at short time controls, not the fault of my opening play. The other two were lopsided, the Steward one in particular; my play in that game had no redeeming merit whatsoever.

  7. #52
    CC Grandmaster Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    2,523
    I used to love the King's Gambit.

    So much fun - and some romance - but I was too predictable and I'm sure it kept my rating down for about 10 years!

    I finally realised that Bobby Fischer was right and the King's Knight Gambit was 'busted' in about half a dozen lines

    It's a mean surprise weapon though

  8. #53
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,687

    No it is not busted

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    I used to love the King's Gambit.

    So much fun - and some romance - but I was too predictable and I'm sure it kept my rating down for about 10 years!

    I finally realised that Bobby Fischer was right and the King's Knight Gambit was 'busted' in about half a dozen lines

    It's a mean surprise weapon though
    The King's gambit is not busted. However it is fearsomely complex especially in correspondence. I would not play it unless I had both books by Thomas Johansson. A new book by English GM Shaw is expected soon.

    Shocks by both players are well and truly possible. In correspondence recently my opponent produced a new idea not mentioned in a recent Kaissiber article. I cannot make further comments as the game is still in progress. I scored exceptionally well as black against the Kieseritzy Gambit. However two of my wins were a direct result of knowing the antidote to a line recommended as best by Gallagher.

  9. #54
    CC Grandmaster Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    The King's gambit is not busted.
    Fair call

    I meant both subjectively and temporally - that is to say for me in the late 1980s/early 1990's and if I was playing against 2000+ opponents it was pretty much busted

    But on the bustedness scale its probably better than the Blackmar-Diemer but not too many other openings I can think of (not counting the off-beat stuff like the Englund Gambit and so forth).

    By the way, David, I hope to see you at the MCC Cup event. I remember you at an NZ Congess in Upper Hutt waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 1970's ...

  10. #55
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    Fair call

    I meant both subjectively and temporally - that is to say for me in the late 1980s/early 1990's and if I was playing against 2000+ opponents it was pretty much busted

    But on the bustedness scale its probably better than the Blackmar-Diemer but not too many other openings I can think of (not counting the off-beat stuff like the Englund Gambit and so forth).

    By the way, David, I hope to see you at the MCC Cup event. I remember you at an NZ Congess in Upper Hutt waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 1970's ...
    The Kings Gambit is not busted, full stop. Fischer himself played it, in fact at the top level it's more common than the Vienna game and the Bishop's opening.

  11. #56
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by jhughes
    The Kings Gambit is not busted, full stop. Fischer himself played it, in fact at the top level it's more common than the Vienna game and the Bishop's opening.
    Yes. However, comparing opening theory in Fischer's times to opening theory in the present would be silly. Many advances in technology and population have enriched our understanding of the opening. In an objective sense, where the objective is to play the best game possible, the Vienna game and Bishop's opening have to be far superior to the King's gambit.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

  12. #57
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,692

    Disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    In an objective sense, where the objective is to play the best game possible, the Vienna game and Bishop's opening have to be far superior to the King's gambit.
    I disagree. The King's Gambit gives White more winnng chances than either of those other 2 openings.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  13. #58
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    I disagree. The King's Gambit gives White more winnng chances than either of those other 2 openings.
    Between humans? I agree with this also; however, if super-computers are playing I doubt this entirely. The reason I use super-computers as the base is because they are superior to humans at this time and will be more so when we can make them take all the best from human and computer-like chess. Seeing as I set the objective as, 'to play the best game possible,' it only seems fitting that we use the closest current example to players of the best game possible - computers.

    2.Nc3: Games: 4,948| Wins: 39.1%| Draws: 29%| Losses: 31.9%

    2.f4: Games: 4,529| Wins: 40.3%| Draws: 19.5%| Losses: 40.3%

    2.Bc4: Games: 4,039| Wins: 39.6%| Draws: 31.5%| Losses: 28.9%

    Source: (http://www.chess.com/explorer/) Accessed at 6:34PM, 1/5/10

    From here we can see that at master level it does offer, negligbly, better winning chances; however, it comes at risk: the King's gambit has a far higher losing rate. Which when compared to the amount of winning oppurtunity gained it doesn't look like that great an expedition.

    So if you are a risk loving player then the King's gambit is certainly for you. Although keep in mind if playing the best game possible is your goal then I don't think it should come to mind. Additionally, 1. e4 e5 2. d4... scores better than the King's gambit, although from less games, it certainly doesn't get the same approval rate.
    Last edited by Saragossa; 01-05-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

  14. #59
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    190
    "The King's Gambit is Busted" by Fischer is a must-read article for anyone who plays this opening as white or black. Certainly there are not many top GMs playing the Gambit these days, mainly because there are so many ways for Black to equalize or better. For Black, find a system against it that works, and stick to it. There are several. 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 Nf6 is stronger than it looks - White does better with 4.Nc3 d5 5.exd5 than the aggessive but relatively harmless 4.e5, which puts the Black knight on h5, a dandy square. Also interesting is 1.e4 e5 2.f4 Nc6 3.Nf3 f5!?, which can surprise unsuspecting White players and get them into all sorts of strife if they try a direct refutation. I can't remember the last time I lost a tournament game as Black against the King's Gambit, but I have plenty of easy crushes as Black. I love seeing 2.f4...but stop just short of salivating...

    The King's Gambit is sounder than, say, the Albin Counter-Gambit (which is fun to play, but leaves little room for error), but the sharp fangs it had in the old days have been largely blunted by more modern defensive theory.

    The Evans Gambit, well there's another story...

    Cheers,

    Kevin Casey

  15. #60
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,718
    The title of the Fischer article for those wanting to look for it is actually "A Bust To The King's Gambit". Text here (PDF):

    http://www.academicchess.org/images/...ischerbust.pdf

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Favourite players
    By SonicInspiration in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 23-04-2008, 04:40 AM
  2. Forced Advantage for black in the opening
    By Frank Walker in forum Coaching Clinic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-01-2006, 01:05 PM
  3. Kramnik favourite to win Melody Amber
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-03-2005, 10:01 AM
  4. Topalov favourite to win Tripoli
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-06-2004, 06:01 PM
  5. The Caro Kann opening system used agains e4
    By bob in forum Chess Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-10-2003, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •