Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    In round 5, the 4 WA players had to play each other (pretty unlikely) - in both cases the lower rated player was victorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    Yeah, well.. if they don't catch it, it messes up the pairings, so hopefully someone will read this and investigate.

Also I'm pretty certain Victor was black as I've seen him play that system before.. him and his son.
    Well I see they have changed the result in the game score to indicate that White won and not Black.

Given the position is clearly winning for Black one can only assume that Balck lost on time.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Well I see they have changed the result in the game score to indicate that White won and not Black.

Given the position is clearly winning for Black one can only assume that Balck lost on time.
    Apparently both scoresheets are marked 1-0 and signed. It is assumed that it must have been on time, but I don't know that for certain.

Although you have to wonder how someone can lose on time in such a 'simple' position, with lots of easy moves to make to gain time.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Wright-Sheldrick: the sad sad sight of a Benko Gambit that totally failed to deliver and our leader is finally toppled. Neil Wright has won the reserves before - watch out for him in the remaining rounds.

Go Neil!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Wright-Sheldrick: the sad sad sight of a Benko Gambit that totally failed to deliver and our leader is finally toppled. Neil Wright has won the reserves before - watch out for him in the remaining rounds.
    5...axb5 and then 6...e6 seems to mix two different Benko strategies. Is it book? It just looks bad.
    http://www.peterballard.org

Quote Originally Posted by pballard
    5...axb5 and then 6...e6 seems to mix two different Benko strategies. Is it book? It just looks bad.
    Don't normally play the Benko so not sure but NCO gives only 6...Qa5+.

Was wondering where Wright has been this tournament, turns out he lost to Lee Jones (who today had the worse end of a draw with Rincewind! Well done Barry!)

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Was wondering where Wright has been this tournament, turns out he lost to Lee Jones (who today had the worse end of a draw with Rincewind! Well done Barry!)
    Thanks Kevin. I've had a reasonable run so far for a player of my rating with draws to Marner, Viner and now Lee Jones. I was in time trouble (if such a thing exists in 1 minute increment games) for most of it or else I might have been able to make more of the ending but was very happy with the final result. Also got to meet Lee for the first time, who is a really nice guy.

As a someone who appreciates swindles you should look at the game Cox-Al Zaher, round 6. I stuffed up the opening and lost a pawn, my opponent liquidated to a won rook and pawn ending and then misplayed it giving me the point. Interesting thing about this game was black's steadfast refusal to resign even when down K+Q v lone K - until it was mate in one. As we were the very last board to finish that night (~6 hour game, 92 moves) and the arbiters were waiting to do the following round's draw, etc, they were less than appreciative of my opponent's lack of faith in my ability to play that particular endgame.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Good game against Lee, Barry.
    It is too bad you missed 55. e4 which is winning easily for you.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Good game against Lee, Barry.
    It is too bad you missed 55. e4 which is winning easily for you.
    Thanks, really there were so many misses, such is the nature of chess - particularly as is practiced by me. As I said, I was happy with the overall result. (BTW Lee also pointed out 55.e4 in the post game analysis.)
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pballard
    It is just bad. I looked at the game with Neil last night and Kevin just made a totall hash of it. I am not surprised that Kevin lost although I was surprised he played the Benko that badly. He has played it alot.
    I think Matthew Sonter is going to finish this tournament very strongly. He is doing what he did 2 years ago in Adelaide, slow start and then come home strongly. I think he might beat Sheldrick tommorrow.
    Scott

CC International Master

When your opponent will not resign

If your opponent plays on and on in a dead lost position then:

Slow down and take extra care. If you have heaps of time let him sit there for half an hour while it is your move. You must strive for extra calm. Do not try and win cleverly. Win as brutally as possible.

Neil is doing the job here against Cashman.

Wink The Winner!

Congrats to Neil Wright in a nail-biting finish!

Haven't had time to look at the games yet but what a dramatic finish, with Wright losing in the final round but still winning the tournament outright because the two players trailing him were also knocked over, incredible!

Neil also won in 2001-2 - winning this event twice out of three consecutive holdings is a very impressive feat for any player.

Thread Information