Well it needed some promotion.

cheer fg7
    Last edited by firegoat7; 26-09-2005 at 06:48 PM. Reason: left out 2006

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    Hi,

cheer fg7
    Bot wanting to seem pedantic but do you mean the Australian Major?

I'm planning on playing at this stage. Anyone else?

BTW the confirmed entrants for all events is available here.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Bot wanting to seem pedantic but do you mean the Australian Major?

I'm planning on playing at this stage. Anyone else?
    All I wonder is, how was this allowed to happen? It seems the ACF have allowed the organisers to detroy the integrity of , what is argueably, one of Australian best chess tournaments.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, the Australian Reserves was historically open to anybody who did not qualify for the Australian championship. And yet it seems that it is now a major and minor tournament. Where is the authority for the organisers to wreck such vandalism on Australian chess heritage? Who is responsible for this? Surely the ACF tendered out the Australian Reserves tournament as part of championship conditions?

Furthermore, the organisers then decide that the minor will be u1800.....are these people clinically insane? What is the point of an u1800 cut off? Do they deliberately want the major to fail?

Lastly, $160..then $200 for late entry. Give me a break, who is in charge of this assylumn.

cheers Fg7

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I think the major is open to anyone under 2150 and the minor anyone under 1800.

The difference with the monir is that it is a quicker 1 week event with two games per day, whereas the major follows the format of the championships. I also read somewhere that unsuccessful applicants to the championships will have the option to play in the major. I assume this wiull apply even if their rating is >= 2150.

So isn't the major simply a rename of the reserves and the minor an event for weakish players who don't want to spend the full 2 weeks in Brisbane? I imagine the naming convention was adopted to distinguish the rating cut-offs.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    You mean apart from the excellent website, the mailout to clubs and associations across Australia and the weekly mention in the ACF Newsletter. Oh, that's right - you don't read the ACF newsletter...

CC Grandmaster
    All I wonder is, how was this allowed to happen? It seems the ACF have allowed the organisers to detroy the integrity of , what is argueably, one of Australian best chess tournaments.
    Huh?

Correct me if I am wrong, but, the Australian Reserves was historically open to anybody who did not qualify for the Australian championship.
    And guess what: the Australian Major is open to everybody who does not qualify for the Australian Championship (except those nasty foreign GMs).

And yet it seems that it is now a major and minor tournament. Where is the authority for the organisers to wreck such vandalism on Australian chess heritage? Who is responsible for this? Surely the ACF tendered out the Australian Reserves tournament as part of championship conditions?
    The minor is just that: a minor event. It has low entry fees, lower prizemoney, faster time controls, and is compressed into seven days. Essentially is is tailored to people who can't commit to two weeks. The way entries are going at the moment, it is highly unlikely to detract from the Major at all.

The difference with the monir is that it is a quicker 1 week event with two games per day, whereas the major follows the format of the championships. I also read somewhere that unsuccessful applicants to the championships will have the option to play in the major. I assume this wiull apply even if their rating is >= 2150.

So isn't the major simply a rename of the reserves and the minor an event for weakish players who don't want to spend the full 2 weeks in Brisbane? I imagine the naming convention was adopted to distinguish the rating cut-offs.
    There's no limit on the number of entries in the Championship so any Australian player with an ACF rating of 2150 or above is able to enter the Championship and is not eligible for the Major.

The Major has been so designated since 1995. The By-laws for ACF Tournaments, para. 7, designate the event as the Australian Major.

Para. 9 of the same By-laws "strongly encourages" but does not "compel" a State or Territory Association, that is conducting the Australian Championships on behalf of the ACF, to hold a minor tournament in conjunction with the Championships. The by-law gives an under 1600 event as an example of an appropriate minor tournament. But this is only an example.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

My understanding is that the major or the tournament formerly known as the reserves, is open to anybody. This includes players over 2150, provided they want to play in the event. Lets say, for arguements sake somebody has an International rating of 2180 fide. I am fairly certain that they would be eligible for the reserves and would not be deemed strong enough to play in the championship. There is an historical precedent of Popov?? (Can somebody help us out here as I was not that familiar with the issues at the time), the year Wohl won the championship, all I remember was that his exclusion, from the reserves ,was controversial.

cheers Fg7

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    You mean apart from the excellent website, the mailout to clubs and associations across Australia and the weekly mention in the ACF Newsletter.
    Your stupidity amazes me. Did I actually say that the promotion of the event was poor or badly oganised? No I didn't you ignorant twerp, I simply created a thread to discuss issues about this tournament on this website- Chesschat. It seemed to make perfect sense to talk about a tournament that was being run at the same time as other tournaments, especially when those other tournaments had their own threads.

Oh, that's right - you don't read the ACF newsletter...
    Damn straight I don't. I simply skim the issues and think why bother. As an example, the acf newsletter publishes endless amounts of ERgas, Dandenong tournaments and Australian championship propoganda, not in itself a bad thing.

But let me make this point. I have seen virtually nothing on the current Victorian championship, despite A) The main arbiter and organiser being a vice president of the ACF and also, by coincidence, the current ChessVictoria president.

B) The current Victorian championship requires that all participants hand in their scoresheets so that DeBortolli wines, a fabricated joke it would seem with a N.S.W postal address can produce a pretty ordinary bunch of bulletins.

My understanding is that DeBortolli wines produces the bulletins in line with a little logo that is placed at the top of the bulletins. In fact my sources tell me that ChessVictoria actually pays a bookeeping amount of $500 for the service, even though it is unclear whether any cash actually exchanges hands. In other words it all appears to be for tax purposes.

It would seem then that Victorian players are out of pocket and that the ACF does not even bother to produce news from its own tournaments. Clearly if an ACF vice president cannot get the games in the national newsletter, then something is seriously wrong. Meanwhile you keep on harping on about ACF integrity Pax, while I will keep talking about inclusion/exclusion issues and dare I say it the northern state bias in National chess.

cheers Fg7

The ACF bulletin is "edited" by the ACF. No-one expects them to write everything in it.

When I want something to appear for Ergas, I write an article, e-mail it to Paul and say - please include this in the next bulletin. There was nothing in todays bulletin about the camp, because I currently have been too lazy to do it. No doubt there will be something next week, because I will have written it.

I guess the point I am making is that someone in Victoria could approach Gary W and say can I write articles for the e-mail bulletin about the Vic Champs? Gary I am sure would be delighted to have this done and articles would appear.

CC Grandmaster
    Did I actually say that the promotion of the event was poor or badly oganised? No I didn't you ignorant twerp..
    You said:
    which clearly implied that (in your view) it wasn't being promoted enough. If you don't understand that then you are dumber than I thought.

But let me make this point. I have seen virtually nothing on the current Victorian championship, despite A) The main arbiter and organiser being a vice president of the ACF and also, by coincidence, the current ChessVictoria president.
    Has anyone associated with Victorian chess sent regular reports to the editor? If not, why not?

B) The current Victorian championship requires that all participants hand in their scoresheets so that DeBortolli wines, a fabricated joke it would seem with a N.S.W postal address can produce a pretty ordinary bunch of bulletins.

My understanding is that DeBortolli wines produces the bulletins in line with a little logo that is placed at the top of the bulletins. In fact my sources tell me that ChessVictoria actually pays a bookeeping amount of $500 for the service, even though it is unclear whether any cash actually exchanges hands. In other words it all appears to be for tax purposes.
    WTF has this got to do with the price of cheese?

It would seem then that Victorian players are out of pocket and that the ACF does not even bother to produce news from its own tournaments.
    Since when has the VICTORIAN championship been an ACF event?

Meanwhile you keep on harping on about ACF integrity Pax
    What are you smoking Firegoat? You seem to be hallucinating.

You said:

which clearly implied that (in your view) it wasn't being promoted enough. If you don't understand that then you are dumber than I thought.
    Listen dumbo. Open up your thick head and reflect on the arguement. CONTEXT
    It was you who linked the word "promotion" with "it wasn't being promoted enough". Its all in your mind, Paxman, not mine. The only person who "clearly implied" anything was yourself. Admit you mis-interpreted my statement and we can kiss and make up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax
    Has anyone associated with Victorian chess sent regular reports to the editor? If not, why not?
    Learn to link and assess arguements correctly.

Bulletins have been produced for the Victorian championships. It has cost (theoretically) a considerable price to Victorian chessplayers. There are basically two people involved Chris Depasquale and Gary Wastell in the production. One works for a chess company called ChessWorld and the other is the current vice president of the ACF and president of ChessVictoria.

Ironically the same two people with regular chess columns in the Melbourne papers, the age and herald sun.I don't know why the ACF vice president cannot communicate with the ACF editor.But it seems to me that both of them seem more then capable of publishing the games in national newspapers, for a fee of course.

This is what I keep telling people like yourself that the ACF needs to start improving its communication channels. Because obviously its view of reality is pretty distorted if it thinks its getting the whole picture about the Australian chess scene. As I have said before, you would think that Australian chess did not exist. At the very least you would think we had nothing to promote....why?

WTF has this got to do with the price of cheese?
    Link the arguement

Since when has the VICTORIAN championship been an ACF event?
    Its a championship qualifying event. The ACF gets a fee for rating it. Don't pretend that the ACF has nothing to do with the event.

cheers Fg7

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    I guess the point I am making is that someone in Victoria could approach Gary W and say can I write articles for the e-mail bulletin about the Vic Champs? Gary I am sure would be delighted to have this done and articles would appear.
    Hello is there anybody home. Why should the rank and file approach Gary when he is an elected official on both the ACF and ChessVictoria. Is he not perfectly situated to communicate himself? Is he one of your children that has to be reminded to pick up his socks

Why don't you remind him to send them to the editor? It would make as much sense...not, as any of the other information sharing ideas coming out of the ACF/State hierarchy.

cheers FG7

CC Grandmaster
    Listen dumbo. Open up your thick head and reflect on the arguement. CONTEXT
    It was you who linked the word "promotion" with "it wasn't being promoted enough".
    need (nēd) pronunciation
    n.

1. A condition or situation in which something is required or wanted: crops in need of water; a need for affection.
    2. Something required or wanted; a requisite: “Those of us who led the charge for these women's issues … shared a common vision in the needs of women” (Olympia Snowe).

Hello is there anybody home. Why should the rank and file approach Gary when he is an elected official on both the ACF and ChessVictoria. Is he not perfectly situated to communicate himself? Is he one of your children that has to be reminded to pick up his socks

Why don't you remind him to send them to the editor? It would make as much sense...not, as any of the other information sharing ideas coming out of the ACF/State hierarchy.

cheers FG7
    More of the "why don't the guvmint do it' crap that comes out of Victoria.

You want something done, stop whinging and get it done.

Thread Information