Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

"Good luck!" and other pregame chatter

Before you start a tournament game, what do you say to your opponent, if anything? Does it vary by opponent?

I usually just say "good luck" ... which is ironic given that I have an incredibly large proportion of "lucky" wins and relatively few "unlucky" losses.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

One day I noticed Norm Greenwood say, "best wishes". At first I copied him. Then I just decided on, "all the best" - and that's what I say without fail.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    One day I noticed Norm Greenwood say, "best wishes". At first I copied him. Then I just decided on, "all the best" - and that's what I say without fail.

AR
    Friendly greetings before the game, fine - after the game, great - but during the game ??!
    I was coordinating results from the Rooty Hill Open on Monday night so I could go home and update the web page, when I came across two (inexperienced) players doing an analysis. I asked who won and they said, "Oh, we're still playing."
    Now that's friendly!
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I usually say "good luck" and offer to shake hands.

Someone needs to teach juniors how to shake hands. Seems to be a dying art. Understandable for primary school juniors but all teenagers and above should be able to do a half-decent handshake.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I say 'enjoy the game' and then shake hands. I think that is the most appropriate thing to say.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind

Someone needs to teach juniors how to shake hands. Seems to be a dying art. Understandable for primary school juniors but all teenagers and above should be able to do a half-decent handshake.
    I think it is very nice when a sweet little thing puts her hand out - just gentle is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I say 'enjoy the game' and then shake hands. I think that is the most appropriate thing to say.
    I like that, might start using it myself. "Lady Luck" is such a temperamental mistress.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

I try to make sure I introduce myself if I don't know my opponent, partly to be friendly and partly to be sure we spell each other's names correctly. When it's time to start, I shake hands and either say nothing, or say something like "have a good game".

I try to avoid saying "good luck", because that's exactly what I don't want them to have (during the game, that is). (But I'm sure I've said it on occasion).

CC Candidate Master
    Alot of people who say "Good Game" before the match has started and when you offer to shake hands the barely accept the offer and shake incredibly lightly that you can barely feel it. I have only played in one tournament and about 5 of the 11 people said "Good Game"

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    I yell "DIE!!! YOU SCUMSUCKING FREAK FROM HELL."
    And if they don't flinch, I show them a photo of their children going home from school.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind

I think i say "good luck" and i always offer to shake hands. RW I agree with you! One of my pet hates is the pee weak handshakes that some older juniors and some adults make. I feel like grabbing their arm and saying "this is how you shake hands" .....
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

pee weak?

Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    One of my pet hates is the pee weak handshakes that some older juniors and some adults make. I feel like grabbing their arm and saying "this is how you shake hands" .....

YES YES YES. What is wrong with these people?

To shake hands:

1. Firm without crush.
    2. Eye contact without phycho.
    3. Warmth without softness.

Why do people give you something like a wet flipper in the dark? It should be grounds for a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    pee weak?
    = piss weak.

No, it isn't a 7 day bender

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Chessnut,do you come from the Latham school of handshaking?

Thread Information