Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Do you have some "Eine Kleine Nacht Music" Elevator ,Im a Chopin fan myself...

CC FIDE Master

The wet fish

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    I think that people should bear in mind that there may well be very good reasons behind the "wet fish"/non-firm handshake.

For instance, your opponent may be a surgeon, or a concert pianist, and not want to get into a "I can squeeze your hand harder than you can squeeze mine", stupid sort of game.
    I have to be honest I dislike wet fish handshakes. I can understand it with kids, I think its partially caused by a fear of being respectful to elders, but when it happens from an Adult male, it's very frustrating. A handshake is sign of not only good manners, but of friendship is reflected partially by enthusiam of the handshake. I find few reasons for why an adult male would just touch their opponents hand then to shake it with at least a little force.

While myself am probably on the more firm of handshakes in the chess community, and far harder than most I have seen few people give a firm handshake over the years.

I have a friend in ACT Chess (You Canberrans know who he is....) who is also as animated over this topic and though I disagreed with many of his ideas I can definately empathise with this one.

I suppose from a personal view point, if you're playing me and you like firm handshakes normally not feel have concerns of putting a little force behind it. It will only strengthen my respect for you.
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

On the Sunday program this morning they ran a laugh at Mark Latham how he gave the biggest handshakes to Beasley and Howard, all smiles and cuddles, but then in his book did a Matt Sweeney on them.

And you can't get more Aussie than Latham.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    ...but then in his book [Latham] did a Matt Sweeney on them.

I will take that as a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    On the Sunday program this morning they ran a laugh at Mark Latham how he gave the biggest handshakes to Beasley and Howard, all smiles and cuddles, but then in his book did a Matt Sweeney on them.
    Latham may have secured himself a place in Oz folklore alongside Blind Freddy and Buckley's Chance.
    He could have carved himself a spot as memorable as Abu Hassan who, in the 1001 Nights, committed a social blunder and found himself a place on the calendar. People measured time from "the day Abu Hassan brake wind"!
    This morning on 2WS Mike Gibson was talking about the Melbourne AFL mob screaming for Big Bad Barry Hall's head on a platter and he said, "They're bigger whingers than Mark Latham."
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozy

This morning on 2WS Mike Gibson was talking about the Melbourne AFL mob screaming for Big Bad Barry Hall's head on a platter and he said, "They're bigger whingers than Mark Latham."
    This beat-up from Mike Gibson has to be fantasy. We are so parochial that once the SAINTS were eliminated the season was officially deemed over. We now just hold the Grand Final next Saturday as a revenue raiser event for the State. Honestly, no-one in Melbourne is calling for Barry to be rubbed out. It is just a news item of great interest, and little importance.

yours, waiting for the cricket to start,
    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 19-09-2005 at 06:07 PM.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Honestly, no-one in Melbourne is calling for Barry to be rubbed out. It is just a news item of great interest, and little importance.
    Glad to hear it.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC FIDE Master
    It was actually in Australia I learned to say "Good Game" just before the game starts...

Later I have spread it out in Denmark...

Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    It was actually in Australia I learned to say "Good Game" just before the game starts...

Later I have spread it out in Denmark...
    Yeah I like "good game" and shake hands too.

CC FIDE Master
    Of course shake hands were included...

there used to be a guy who I met at Ryde Eastwood club that had all sort of vermin growing out of the pores of his skin - I refused to shake hands with him

Thread Information