Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    chmod -x /bin/chmod

Infrastructure Rollout (Phase 1)

Net Logistics are rolling out many new servers, all configured as DELL Dual Xeon 2.8 - 3.2 Ghz, 4 GB DDR II ECC RAM, 4-6 x 73 GB SCSI in Raid 10.

The upgrade also includes an IP migration to Net Logistics' own (and new) IP range and the activation of the Uecomm fibre connection.

There may be up to 15 minutes downtime for most members. Those who use unreasonable ISPs such as BigPond may face trouble with excessive DNS caching by their ISP. My best effort will be made to push for a NAT/Masquerade setup on ChessChat's current IP so that BigPond users will not be affected for up to a week.

The Chess Chat server is scheduled to be upgraded next Wednesday.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Site should be loading from the new server now. Tested Hot-Swappable Raid 10 this morning, and it's working just fine.

Sounds good STML ... noticed the mention of Uecomm ... I'm on ADSL running into Uecomm fibre here myself, so I am wondering if I will notice a slight performance boost (mind you, the site has always been pretty quick for me anyway).

Another thought, you may recall that I asked regarding browser detection for PDAs and a more plain-vanilla small data transfer i/face some time ago. Something that would be viable when used with GPRS at around $10/MB.

It was really an idle question, but since I am travelling a lot in the next 3 weeks (country VIC and also QLD) I wondered whether it is ever likely to be on the cards? I will be taking my notebook PC with me anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I don't imagine that there would be a lot of demand for it, hence not much incentive for you to put any time into it.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Looks like we might have lost some posted messages though. A post of mine from 1:45 AM last night and a Private Message both seem to have gone. Not worth worry about though.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Yeah i had a shoutbox entry and a coupla posts rubbed out.....
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Would have lost some posts yes, that's due to the time difference between the actual packaging of the account and the time that restores are finished on the new servers and IPs are masqueraded.

Frosty; I doubt I will find time to do it over the next few weeks, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by skip to my lou
    Frosty; I doubt I will find time to do it over the next few weeks, sorry.
    Not a problem at all, "duzzant madder".
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Still nothing on that post/forum request I made 7 months ago K, despite that new PHP being released?
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    Still nothing on that post/forum request I made 7 months ago K, despite that new PHP being released?
    Not PHP - vB.. and I haven't looked at it in a while. Just too busy for the last year now, and likely to be busy till the end of next year. Might find some time to work on chesschat in holidays.

Hey, a fellow poster has reported when he tries to get onto the site he gets some message he says: 'it brings up some stupid thing saying... please use chesschat.org' or 67.43.11.40 but clicking them returns to the prompt.. he's using dodo - any ideas?
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Hey, a fellow poster has reported when he tries to get onto the site he gets some message he says: 'it brings up some stupid thing saying... please use chesschat.org' or 67.43.11.40 but clicking them returns to the prompt.. he's using dodo - any ideas?
    i have received this a few times myself, i am not the friend belthasar talks about.

Sounds like a routing setup problem???

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Will be moving to a Canberra server tonight as we now have servers available there, and it will be quicker for people in Canberra/Sydney/Melbourne.

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    What a video,Skip!

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    What a video,Skip!
    What the?

Thread Information