Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Victorian Primary and Secondary School Teams Championships

Congratulations to Essex Heights Primary School 'A' Team who today won the Victorian Primary School Teams Championships (Open).

The 'A' Team comprised James Morris, Eugene Schon, Udit Thakur and Jerome Lugo.

Final results -

First - Essex Heights 'A' - 27 points
    Second - Essex Heights 'B' - 17.5 (on countback)
    Third - Greythorne - 17.5

PLC won the Primary Girls Teams championships.

I understand that over the weekend Melbourne High School won the Secondary School Teams Championships. Second was Scotch and third Brighton Grammar.

Congratulations to all players.

Thank you to Chess Victoria - the organisers of the competition.

Congratulations to your team and the other winners.

This is the webpage for the ASTC - NSWJCL are to be congratulated on all the information - should be a great weekend.

http://www.nswjcl.org.au/AustralianS.../ASC_Index.htm
    Last edited by jenni; 14-09-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Hello ChessVictoria,

How about some crosstables or information

cheers Fg7

No cross tables, or proper standings, but at least the final finishing positions of all the teams have been listed since Monday evening, as well as team members. Gives you 90% of what you want (although I must admit cross tables are always fun to look at!)

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

Not of absolute pertinence...

Hello everyone,

Not exactly the main topic, but very close is the following report from this weeks ACF bulletin.

From ACF bulletin 14/09/05

Schools confusion: The ACF has written to Australian schools to avoid potential confusion between two events to be held in December this year - the ACF's Australian Schools Teams Championships and another event called "National Open Schools Finals - 2005 Championship Event" which is being run by Chess Kids, a private business. The ACF's letter reads as follows:

Attn: The Principal/Chess Coordinator

National Interschool Chess

It has come to our attention that Chess Kids, a commercial venture operating from Melbourne, is promoting to Australian schools an event it calls National Open Schools Finals - 2005 Championship Event to be held in Melbourne on 3-4 December 2005.

We are concerned that this tournament may be confused with the Australian Schools Teams Championships, an event instituted by the Australian Chess Federation Inc in 1998 and conducted annually since then, this year in Sydney on 10-11 December.

The Australian Schools Teams Championships are the only national interschool title events recognised by the Australian Chess Federation, the peak body controlling chess in Australia. Entry to the championships is by qualification, not invitation - they are contested by the qualifying teams, primary and secondary, open and girls, from the school championships conducted by the affiliated Chess Associations of each state and territory.

If you would like further information on the Australian Schools Teams Championships and the state qualification process, please feel free to contact me, or the Chess Association of your state. Their web sites can be accessed via the links available at http://www.auschess.org.au/acflinks.htm

Yours sincerely

Jey Hoole
    Secretary
    Australian Chess Federation Inc
    www.auschess.org.au

What a naughty little Guru!!

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

I don't know why people have a problem with this. Of course Guru is puffing as always and the ACF are taking the correct action to dispel any confusion for those states who do not have a close relationship with their schools.

However as far as I can see the more chess the better. The ASTC has been going long enough that there is no need to see this comp as a rival. Given the fierce competition to be the rep team at the ASTC it is hard to see a qualifying team deciding to not bother going and going to DC's instead.

I personally view it as a mistake to have them so close together and thus force a choice, a bit more distance could have seen teams being prepared to go to both.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    I don't know why people have a problem with this.
    I agree. There's absolutely nothing wrong with people conducting competitions and encouraging people to participate. As long as 'the guru' doesn't call the tourney the same as the ACF one, and doesn't claim to be the same as the ACF one, where's the issue?

Its also quite appropriate for the ACF also to help ensure that there's no confusion. However I've just snuck a quick look at the ACF website and noted:

1. the 'upcoming tournaments' page covers May, June and July 2005 (about 4-5 months out of date); and

2. there seems to be no easily identifiable 'sanctioned tournaments' page where people can check whether any tourney (guru-organised, or otherwise) has been organised/sanctioned as an official title of the ACF

Perhaps these two items might be taken on board by someone at the ACF?
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar
    Hello everyone,

I have no problems with Junior events being run either; I just don't feel that the clarity of the distinction between those events that lead towards the National Schools teams event and other events is made clear enough.

Surely the fact that the ACF has felt the need to send out a blanket circular to schools to ensure that the confusion is avoided begs the question of did the Guru not do so himself??

Surely within the responsibilities of an organiser should be not to mislead his market audience? To be sure that he had verified all facts as being correct? To above and beyond all else to be sure people knew what they were getting?

Running Junior events = great!!; Running any event where there is possible heartache after the truth is ascertained = bad

Provided it is clear that the Guru has not misled the participants in these events fine, elsewise

Perhaps someone can show us a flier for the events in question or refer us to where they can be seen?

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Chess Kids

National Open Schools Finals
    2005 Championship Event

More than 26,000 Primary and Secondary School Students from 1583 schools around Australia participated in a State Interschool or Zone Competition in 2005.

Only 20 teams (0.5% of all players) from around Australia are eligible to qualify and play in these prestigious National Finals.

Held over the weekend of December 3 & 4, 2005
    At Bayview Conference Centre, Melbourne

Eligibility is limited to 5 schools from Victoria (host state), 3 from NSW, QLD and TAS, 2 from ACT and SA, 1 from each of NT and WA.
    • The top team entered from each State receives FREE accommodation, food and coaching at the Finals (for 5 players and 1 adult supervisor).
    • Great prizes; everyone wins something.
    • Winners represent Australia at the Oceania Schools Championships
    • 4 free high-level chess coaching sessions with International Master players
    • All players receive free Private Tuition after their games with Master Coaches
    • Friendly social atmosphere; BBQ, transfer chess and movie on Saturday night.
    • All players get a National Chess Rating!
    • Can your school become involved? Find out how; contact Chess Kids on interschool@chesskids.com.au or (03) 9578 6203.
    • Held in 3 divisions; Open Secondary, Junior Secondary and Primary.

Any school may apply to participate – a selection process will be employed to qualify the allowable number of teams from each state.

Applications must be received by October 31 for a school to be considered. Schools will be notified of their qualification, or otherwise, after a selection process ending on November 8. All enquiries to David Cordover on 0411 877 833.

www.chesskids.com.au

Jenni beware!!

"Therfore bihoveth hire a ful long spoon
    That shal ete with a feend"

– Chaucer

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Jenni beware!!

"Therfore bihoveth hire a ful long spoon
    That shal ete with a feend"

– Chaucer

DJ
    Yeah yeah I know - however better the devil you know or something...

One wonders how the Guru can guarantee all players will get a National Chess rating from this event.
    Perhaps he is not referring to the ACF rating system, but a Guru run National Schools Rating list in which case people/schools could be easily confused.
    If it only contains the results from this event, its usability must surely be questionable.

Also what are these so called Oceania Shools Championship.
    Is this an Oceania Zone endorsed event.
    If so who endorsed it, if not will using such a name give a false impression that is a FIDE Oceania zone endorsed event.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Candidate Master
    I went to a recent interschool Primary Competition and he had given 10 points for every game the kids had won, which is ridiculous so the kids were shocket to see thier ratings around 60.

CC Candidate Master

Primary and Secondary School Teams Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    One wonders how the Guru can guarantee all players will get a National Chess rating from this event.
    Perhaps he is not referring to the ACF rating system, but a Guru run National Schools Rating list in which case people/schools could be easily confused.
    If it only contains the results from this event, its usability must surely be questionable.

Also what are these so called Oceania Shools Championship.
    Is this an Oceania Zone endorsed event.
    If so who endorsed it, if not will using such a name give a false impression that is a FIDE Oceania zone endorsed event.
    I recently spoke with David Cordover and I asked him what the Oceania Schools Championships were.

He advised that he is running the Oceania Schools Championships in Melbourne at the same time as the Australian Juniors are being held in Brisbane.

This will make it impossible to be at both events at the same time.

you been sleeping with the enemy again Kerry?

Thread Information