Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NSWCA - 2004 Australia Day Weekender

Where: North Sydney Leagues Club
    When: Saturday 24th / Sunday 25th January
    Director: Jason Lyons [International Arbiter]
    Time Control: FIDE time control 90 minutes + 30 seconds per move from the start
    Entry Fees: Adult: $70.00 Junior [u/18]: $40.00
    entries due Friday January 23rd. Register by phone, email or mail and pay on the day. Late entries will be accepted on the day.
    Schedule: Saturday: 9am Registration; 9:30 Round 1; 2:00 round 2; 6:30 round 3
    Sunday: 9:30 Round 4; 2:00 round 5; 6:30 round 6
    Prizes:
    (based on 75 players) Open 1st $600 2nd $400 3rd $200
    U2000, U1800 1st $250 2nd $175 3rd $100
    U1600, U1400 1st $250 2nd $175 3rd $100

The tournament will be FIDE rated
    Players are eligible for only 1 prize.
    A $10 late fee will be charged to all entries received on Saturday 24th January 2004, and an additional $10 for entries received after the scheduled start of round 1.
    All NSW resident players must be members of (or join) the NSWCA or the NSWJCL
    For further information contact Ralph Seberry by telephone [0403 991 730], email ralphseberry@optushome.com.au, or visit the NSWCA website: http://www.nswca.org.au/

looks like this will atract some big players and there will be some nice chess,maybe some one can get some of the games and put them on the bb

I will try mate. I won't be playing though.

AR

This will be a really great event to kick off the 2004 GP series.
    North Sydney always attracts both a strong field and a big field. (there will also be a shortage of {good} juniors as they are at a decoy event in Perth - pretty clever ploy by us oldies - and even if they manage to get back here they will be easy pickings!)

The prize money for this event is the best ever and Jason is a fantastic DOP.

Better still we can all spend Monday with the family and pretend we are caring / sharing family people!!
    (although everyone on this BB knows better)

As someone who has played in the last two (2002 and 2003) Australia Day Weekenders, I thought I should give my reasons as to why I am NOT playing today (and tomorrow). The time (availability) is not an issue, as I could have spared 2 out of 3 days this long weekend (instead I am now doing other things, such as making posts on this BB - this is my my first post for 2004!).

First, some good things about this comp! I think the tournament flyer is a considerable improvement on last years NSWCA tournament flyers (although there are still a couple of "imperfections"). It's good to see that a similar format for the flyers is being used for the upcoming City of Sydney tournament (and hopefuly for other NSWCA tournaments).

Also, the prizemoney is good! OK, the entry fee ($70 for adults) is a little expensive (especially for pensioners), but chess players have to realise that they cannot have it both ways! Obviously higher entry fees means more prizemoney and less entry fees means less prizemoney. Personally I would have preferred to see penioners/unemployed/students etc have a discounted entry fee of $55 with the prizemoney remaining the same - this could have been easily achieved by getting rid of the Grand Prix fees (which I think is a waste of money - I'll expand on this in another thread).

The promotion was reasonable as far as emails of flyers goes, but I was surpised that it was only on Thursday (2 days before start of tournament!) before someone started a BB thread on it! I am also surpised that Jason Lyons (who is usually quite good at promoting tournaments that he arbiters) did not put any posts on this BB to promote the Australia Day Weekender. Anyway, I think Amiel (Arosar) deserves some credit for iniating (and informing) people on this BB about this tournament, even if it was only two days ago.

The time limits for this year's Australia Day Weekender are 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per player per move per player. Like most players of around my rating (just under 1400), when I play games of this sort of length (eg in Grade Matches, Doeberl Cup etc) they last on average 2 hours. There are 3 rounds today and tomorrow (6 in total). They start at 9.30am, 2.00pm and 6.30pm. So, assuming my games last for 2 hours, what am I supposed to do for the 2.5 hors until the next round? To me this represents 5 hours wasted per day (10 hours for the tournament). Now, supposing I was to win a prize in the U1400 division (1st=$250, 2nd = $175, 3rd = $100), which is a strong possibility, as my rating is 1387. If I was likely to win a prize, then I would have to wait until 11pm on Sunday for the prizegiving! Of course, that is assuming all goes to plan! With a comp with time limits of 90 mins + 30 secs/move, there is bound to be at least one game per round that lasts 4.5 hours and one game per day that lasts 5 hours, so the presentation could well be at midnight on Sunday!!! - as John McEnroe would say "that's absurd - you cannot be serious"! At least it only takes me 30 minutes to get home from North Sydney Leagues (thanks mainly to the recently completed Eastern Distributor and M5 East - prior to this it would have taken me around 50 minutes), but how would players from say Richmond/Wollongong (ie Brian Jones / Matthew Sweeney) feel about having to leave home on Sunday at 8am (to get to North Sydney Leagues at 9.30am) and get home at 1.30pm on Monday morning (asssuming they had to wait around to collect a prize and assuming prizegiving is at MIDNIGHT - yes, I think it is a strong possibility that this is when the prizes will be handed out)!

What about Juniors? It seems incongrous to me that there is a $40 entry fee for Juniors (considerablly cheaper than the $70 entry fee for adults) to try to encourage them to play. Yet how many parents would want their kids up at midnight in order to collect their prize? BTW, from my irregular attendance at weekenders, I have noticed that Juniors (especially young ones, say U14) get more of a thrill (and encouragement!) out of winning a prize than us adults.

Simply put, I cannot justify wasting 10 hours (minimum) to 15 hours (maximum) of my time waiting for the next round (or presentation) to start over a 48 hour period, so this is the main reason why I am not playing this year. Had the time limits been the same (or similar) to last year's (1 hour per player per game) then I would have played today (and tomorrow).

There are a couple of other issues with this tournament that I don't like, which I will expand on in another post in this thread (this one is long enough already!).

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    As someone who has played in the last two (2002 and 2003) Australia Day Weekenders, I thought I should give my reasons as to why I am NOT playing today (and tomorrow).
    Welcome back Paul S.

I have missed your long and considered posts, and this most recent post is very interetsing analysis that I will refer to my Captain who is planning and carrying out the necessary actions to run this years VIC OPEN, which will be a week-ender.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Welcome back Paul S.

I have missed your long and considered posts, and this most recent post is very interetsing analysis that I will refer to my Captain who is planning and carrying out the necessary actions to run this years VIC OPEN, which will be a week-ender.

starter
    Hi Starter

Thanks for your kind words - its good to be back, and nice to know that someone misses me!

Just a couple more points to add about the 2004 Australia Day Weekender and aspects related to it.

As a general rule, the longer the time limits in chess, the better the quality of games. For a comp with, say 90 mins + 30 secs/move per player, I think 1 or 2 games per day is fine. To me the advantages of one game per day (eg some players can only afford half a day due to other commitments, no "waiting around period" between games 1 and 2 etc) versus 2 games per day (eg cost savings on rent/arbiters fees, more economical/practical for players who live a long distance from venue, shorter tournament duration etc) more or less cancel each other out. However, I think that by the third game per day of these type of time limits (eg 90 mins + 30 secs/move per player), the quality of the games would be a lot less than that of the first two games and the extra "waiting around period" between games (2 and 3) would be of sufficient annoyance factor to negate any cost savings from arbiters fees/rent etc. Therefore, IMHO there should only be one or two rounds per day for tournaments with these sort of longer time limits.

If for the 2004 Australia Day Weekender there are 75 players expected (BTW, I think it will be more like last years of 60 to 65), then 6 rounds is not sufficient length to get a reasonable "spread" of the field. Also you get some players who will have a 4-2 colour split. 6 rounds is probably suitable number of rounds for a tournament of less than 30 players, but not for 75 (or for that matter motre than 30). The 2002 and 2003 Australia Day Weekenders were 7 rounds.

Anyway, to be more positive, here are some of my ideas for the 2005 Australia Day Weekender. Games to be 1 hour per player per game (or 1 houur plus tiny increment). There should be 9 rounds, 5 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday (yes, I know, knockers will say what about time on Saturday - to which I say that the completion of 5 rounds with 1 hour per player per game will take less time than the completion of 3 rounds under the present format). If 9 rounds is not possible/practical, then have 8 rounds with 4 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday (yes, I know, what about the likely 5-3 colour split for some players - to which I say 5-3 is not ideal, but is better than a 4-2 split at the 2004 Australia Day Weekender!). The more number of rounds the better the accuracy in determining TRUE winners/placegetters!

The NSWCA Council has decided to highlight a few of tournaments this year.

The Council was well prepared to support any initiatives of its new Toiurnaments Officer Ralph Seberry.

Some of these decisions were:

1) Have good prize money

2) FIDE rate it. That therefore forces a particular time limit.

3) Grand Prix Cat 3

The Australia Day weekender meets these criteria.

We also wanted to try some different formats of 6 round V 7 round.

The NSW Open will be 7 rounds with the same 3 objectives above.

I guess we will see from the number of entries if we got it right, however we would hope for around 80.

Although there may be issues with the publication of GP scores, that is no reason not to support it.

The players will enter to chase GP points.

Also FIDE rating tournaments does attract players.
    If its FIDE rated it must meet minimum time limits.

As for the 6 rounds, we decided not to force players to waste all 3 days of the long weekend.

Last year in the NSW Open we had 3 rounds in one day which finished late. It was FIDE rated and got 80 players. There were a fair number of juniors some even from the ACT. Clearly the late finishing time did not stop players from participating.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    [ to which I say 5-3 is not ideal, but is better than a 4-2 split at the 2004 Australia Day Weekender!).
    With all due respect thats one of the silliest statements I have read.

CC International Master
    I normally do not play chess regularly, because my partner gets grumpy when I play chess all weekend, but I thought what Bill posted about FIDE rating, grand prix points and prizemoney were all good points

does anyone know how many people entered the tourney? the big name players?

Is it a "success", or does it vindicate what Paul stated in this thread?

One other point.

NSWCA does not offer discounts to pensioners and the unemployed on tournament entry fees.
    It has not done so for many years.

Also the entry fee for juniors has always been based on a particular % discount.

I believe that was 25% for juniors U18 and 50% for juniors U14.

However based on discussions at the last AGM it was felt we should try and increase junior participation.

Thats why for this tournament we changed the %.

Given that most of the top juniors are all over this will give us an indication of how many others may be prepared to play in our tournaments.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    I normally do not play chess regularly, because my partner gets grumpy when I play chess all weekend, but I thought what Bill posted about FIDE rating, grand prix points and prizemoney were all good points

does anyone know how many people entered the tourney? the big name players?

Is it a "success", or does it vindicate what Paul stated in this thread?
    I have an idea of numbers based on pre-entries, however I will wait to hear the official numbers before posting anything.

I think some of the "big" names are still in WA acting as coaches.

We have a number of other weekenders planned during the year that are not FIDE rated, with less entry fees and less prize money and only GP cat 1 events.

Hello you boys. Just been back from the tourn. Not that big a turnout it seemed to me. I shoulda counted numbers. Anyway - not that strong either. I think only Seberry and Xie were 2K+. Interesting observation about time control by Paul S. I heard a coupla 'complaints' that TC just made them buggered.

And for you Ascaro I have here with me a coupla games. One has a very interesting Muzio. Will convert to pgn and post when I am here next.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    One other point.

NSWCA does not offer discounts to pensioners and the unemployed on tournament entry fees.
    It has not done so for many years.
    IMHO the NSWCA should offer discounted entry fees to pensioners/unemployed/students etc for its tournaments. However, I know that from my time on the NSWCA Council last year (when I raised this issue) I seemed to be in a minority of one on this issue, so I can't see this being changed. To be fair to the NSWCA, most other chess organisations also do not have discounted entry fees to pensioners/unemployed/students etc. I think that the chess community should be in step with virtually all other organisations in offering financial discounts for those who are less financially fortunate. More importantly it would help to boost tournament numbers (ie bums on seats)!

Just because something has been the case for many years does not necessarily mean that it should always be the case. Taking this logic to the extreme I could say that I should not buy a mobile phone just because I have not had one in the past.

Thread Information