Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    Whether or not Jenni replied, the results are on public view here - courtesy of Jenni (via Libby). Garvin seems almost capable of the same level of investigation himself.

The best course of action appears to be to allow this thread to die a natural death rather than prolong it with unneccesary posts.

At least until the sky falls as predicted ...
    Maybe the best course of action for you. Of course, milage varies.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC FIDE Master
    Not surprised that CAQ didn't promote the event.

U know that all schools events in Qld are run by GardinerChess? He pays $1000 per year for the rights....funny how that is an OK arrangement in Qld, but not in other states.

Why would an assoc. with such a close affilliation to a rival business promote anything other than GardinerChess activities?

Anyway - event was a huge success. Any schools who didn't play missed out big time. Any state/individual who discouraged or even failed to promote the event was doing a dis-service to the schools, the kids and to chess.

Funny way to promote chess to say "I am promoting chess, but don't play in this chess tournament. Better to not play at all."

At least we are getting closer to everyone being happy with the name of the event...now it is just my choice of FONT which is pissing ppl off!

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuru
    At least we are getting closer to everyone being happy with the name of the event...now it is just my choice of FONT which is pissing ppl off!
    No, I don't think we are getting closer.

No problem with the event as such, and kids playing chess is good. However marketing the thing as something which it is not creates the problems.

Not surprised that CAQ didn't promote the event.

U know that all schools events in Qld are run by GardinerChess? He pays $1000 per year for the rights....funny how that is an OK arrangement in Qld, but not in other states.

Why would an assoc. with such a close affilliation to a rival business promote anything other than GardinerChess activities?
    It's unsurprising, as the CAQ Secretary is an employee of Gardiner Chess.

However, I don't think what you say is entirely accurate, I DOP'ed at a schools event this year that wasn't run by Gardiner Chess.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC Grandmaster
    Anyway - event was a huge success. Any schools who didn't play missed out big time. Any state/individual who discouraged or even failed to promote the event was doing a dis-service to the schools, the kids and to chess.
    Huge seems to be a bit of an overstatement to me.

It sounds to me like it was a reasonably successful event for a first year, but 32 teams across 3 divisions (with only 11 outside Vic and Tas) in an open event looks a fair way short of "huge".

CC Candidate Master
    hmmm.....
    Why does everyone hate hime?
    Isnt he the guy who organises all the kids chess tournaments?
    Just a little reminder of what he DOES serve to the chess community.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Walker
    hmmm.....
    Why does everyone hate hime?
    Isnt he the guy who organises all the kids chess tournaments?
    Just a little reminder of what he DOES serve to the chess community.
    No one hates David (well I don't, anyway). What we do here is discuss things which are good and bad for chess. A lot of what David and Chess Kids does is good for chess. Kids play chess, get coached, compete, have fun. This is all good.

For the bad stuff you can read the previous posts in this and other threads.

Tripped over this on the WCBC thread (from Susan Polgar's blog). I thought it had some resonance given the earlier discuission of the use of terms such as "national" -

The annual Susan Polgar National Invitational for Girls, the annual Susan Polgar National Open Championship for Girls and the annual Susan Polgar World Open Championship for Girls.

Account Permanently Banned
    Tripped over this on the WCBC thread (from Susan Polgar's blog). I thought it had some resonance given the earlier discuission of the use of terms such as "national" -
    So many emoticons to choose from, to complement BFG's post.
    I think I will leave it up to ADMIN.

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    So many emoticons to choose from, to complement BFG's post.
    I think I will leave it up to ADMIN.
    I'm having trouble seeing the point. Perhaps you or BFG could explain the relevance to me.

CC Grandmaster
    I'm pretty sure that:
    a) These events are endorsed by the USCF
    b) Susan Polgar doesn't make money out of them

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I'm pretty sure that:
    a) These events are endorsed by the USCF
    This may well be the case but the relationship to the USCF is not explicit on the entry form (although that can be loaded from the USCF site)

http://www.uschess.org/tla/susanpolg...27-29-2006.pdf

and, although endorsed, it seems to have a rival

http://www.uschess.org/news/press/KC...ampionship.pdf

It must be very confusing to identify what is the "national" championship by any measure used here? The formats differ slightly but the "title" remains ambiguous surely?

And wouldn't the "world" title need to fall under the FIDE banner?

(Here will admit that I couldn't determine this from the website http://susanpolgar.com/polgarchess/spworldopengirls.pdf other than to find it seems to be linked to the Las Vegas International Chess Festival.)

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    b) Susan Polgar doesn't make money out of them
    And if she did?
    Last edited by BFG; 08-12-2005 at 09:51 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    CAQ Council Minutes - September 2004

ITEM 5 – GENERAL BUSINESS

5.1 Licensing of Interschool Events

Council considered the following proposal from Gardiner Chess:-

“Gardiner Chess wishes to tender for the right to sponsor and conduct the current series of regional interschool tournaments culminating in the state interschool finals (the winners of which qualify for the national schools championships) for 2005 and beyond, and to expand the series as circumstances permit.

The series currently comprises the Greater Brisbane, Wide/Bay Burnett, Central Queensland South, Central Queensland North, North Queensland and Far North Queensland championships, each consisting of primary and secondary school team events in open and reserve divisions. Similar regional events are conducted independently by the Gold Coast, Toowoomba and Suncoast chess clubs under CAQ auspices.

A separate state qualifying event for girls has been organised by Russell Mowles in recent years as a one-day tournament for primary and secondary teams, with the winners progressing to the national schools girls championships. Russell has indicated that he will be unable to continue in future.

If the bid is successful, Gardiner Chess undertakes to:

a. pay to CAQ an amount of $1000 per year for the naming-rights sponsorship (e.g. Gardiner Chess Greater Brisbane Interschool Championships – under the auspices of the Chess Association of Queensland)
    b. conduct each event in the series to a standard not less than that now achieved (it should be noted that the series was established by Ian Murray, who currently organises each event – he will be employed by Gardiner Chess to continue doing so)
    c. conduct the girls events either in the established format or expanded to include a qualification mechanism for girls teams in the regional events
    d. increase the number of school events each year in Brisbane, and in other regions according to demand
    e. introduce interschool events in South-West Queensland (Roma) and North-West Queensland (Mt Isa) if considered viable following a feasibility study
    f. conduct interschool qualifying events at the Gold Coast, Toowoomba and/or the Sunshine Coast should any organising club choose to discontinue its interschool events
    g. meet all costs involved in conducting the series
    h. submit results for rating and pay applicable CAQ administration fees and ACF administration fees and national schools levies.”

After discussion, it was moved by I.Murray, seconded G.Young, that Gardiner Chess be licensed by CAQ to conduct the events as described under the proposed terms for the five-year period commencing 1 January 2005, subject to satisfactory performance and an annual report of progress made. Defeated 1-2, with two abstentions.
    G.Young moved, seconded H.Duggan, that Gardiner Chess be licensed by CAQ to conduct the events as described under the proposed terms for the three-year period commencing 1 January 2005, subject to satisfactory performance and an annual report of progress made. Carried 3-0 with two abstentions.
    Last edited by ChessGuru; 09-12-2005 at 08:51 AM.

CC FIDE Master
    Belthasar - perhaps you are wrong....the event you DOPed at may have been a CAQ event, but according to the minutes of the CAQ meeting all events (until 2008) are now owned and run by GardinerChess - presumably they are making a profit?

Pax: I didn't make money from my event - it cost me around $14,000.... I presume that Polgar makes money SOMEWHERE in her life....so what is the difference?

What about the latest ACF Bulletin - a chess business called CHESS AUSTRALIA? Isn't that a bit misleading when put next to CHESS VICTORIA? Or what about AUSTRALIAN CHESS FEDERATION and other National sports associations, like TENNIS AUSTRALIA etc....

Marketing is just marketing....you will have to live with it or go after everyone equally.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    and this is the main point. Except for the school that was 'in the loop' regarding what the exact status of the chesskids event, because it was called chesskids national finals, most of the people believed it was an official event.
    On rereading this comment I wonder which strategy gg regards as most effective in the aftermath of the event? The ACTJCL and personal strategy adopted by Libby - and much maligned. Or the ignore it and it will go away version?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I am willing to bet that David didnt make any formal announcements stating exactly that his event is not an official acf event in any way shape or form.
    Having attended myself, I am at a bit of a loss as to where this statement would have fitted into the opening or presentation ceremonies. Nor would it have been necessary had other schools enjoyed the level of communication and understanding afforded to the parents linked to our team.

Thread Information