Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2006 Olympiad round changes

This has come up on www.fide.com.

Does the acf have any thoughts on this at all?

http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=789

surely the organising committee should have factored in public holidays when submitting their original bid

often we will look in a decent diary and the holiday dates will be there 3 - 5 years ahead

unless a new saint has been canonised and their feast day recently gazetted?

such logistics shuffling bodes ill but at least they are asking 9 months out

maybe advancing the start or delaying the conclusion is too much of a nightmare especially if there is already a ground swell of hotel and flight bookings

eclectic

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    This has come up on www.fide.com.

Does the acf have any thoughts on this at all?

http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=789
    The ACF Council is considering the issue and the views of the previous Olympiad team members and captains have been sought.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    surely the organising committee should have factored in public holidays when submitting their original bid

often we will look in a decent diary and the holiday dates will be there 3 - 5 years ahead

unless a new saint has been canonised and their feast day recently gazetted?

such logistics shuffling bodes ill but at least they are asking 9 months out

maybe advancing the start or delaying the conclusion is too much of a nightmare especially if there is already a ground swell of hotel and flight bookings

eclectic
    Yes indeed; I hope this is not another Belfort.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC FIDE Master
    The PNG Chess Federation have already informed FIDE of their objections to a reduction of rounds.

CC Grandmaster
    Ridiculous. Surely the schedule was nailed down in concrete when they made the bid? I can't think of any reason why a public holiday should mean fewer rounds.

CC International Master
    I think this should be opposed. The Olympiad only happens once every two years and killing off a whole round is inappropriate both from the competitive point of view and for individuals in norm-scoring positions. Would they be allowed to run the Olympic 100m over 90m? If they can't run it properly they shouldn't have put up their hands for it.

I also don't see why the holiday can't coincide with one of the rest days. If it's a slightly odd time meaning that the rest day is not optimally placed for having a rest that isn't critical given that teams have reserves; USA, for instance, barely used their last player in either section last time.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I'm also inclined to oppose this but waiting to see the feedback from our last Olympiad teams before making a firm decision.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    Yes, in many ways this decision belongs to people who will likely be involved in the 2006 teams. I also think it should be opposed, but my opinion matters not a jot.

13 rounds it is.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    13 rounds it is.

AR
    Here is the relevant bit of the San Luis communique:

"Upon request from the Organizers, the Board decided to reduce the number of rounds in the Turin Olympiad from 14 to 13. Before taking this decision, FIDE asked all the federations and an overwhelming majority voted in favor."

The ACF voted against so we were in an overwhelmed minority.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop

"Upon request from the Organizers, the Board decided to reduce the number of rounds in the Turin Olympiad from 14 to 13. Before taking this decision, FIDE asked all the federations and an overwhelming majority voted in favor."

DJ
    i would like to know what the exact numbers for and against were and who voted for which.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop

DJ
    PNG also voted against

CC International Master
    I was prompted by some discussion about the Olympiad on another thread to look up when it's on. If the reddish pawns are meant to denote playing days on the calendar at

http://www.chessolympiad-torino2006....pag=2&pagina=1

then it now seems to be down to twelve rounds.

Can one of our Italian-literate readers clarify what's happening on this chart? Perhaps there is also a round on the day of the closing ceremony?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    Can one of our Italian-literate readers clarify what's happening on this chart? Perhaps there is also a round on the day of the closing ceremony?
    instead of doing that, Ian, you could click on the union jack in the top right hand corner of the home page. That changes the text to english. If you click on the last red pawn, it comes up as saying Round 12. Strange, what is going on.

Thread Information