Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Rookie

total entry fees to be made public

how about the total entry fees to be made public then the prizes, and expenses to compare, it seems a very fair way to run turneys that way its all out in the open.

Account Permanently Banned

Re: total entry fees to be made public

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1992
    how about the total entry fees to be made public then the prizes, and expenses to compare, it seems a very fair way to run turneys that way its all out in the open.
    Ascaro

More chess administration questions from you. :shock:

You really do want to be on the MCC Committee don't you. :shock:

Have you decided which position you are going to stand for? Looks like Treasurer to me based on this latest question.

OK. We will show ours after you show me yours. Get Angelo to put together a template of format on how you want it presented and I will prepare mine.
    And I will put mine on display at the next CV Committee meeting. Is good?

starter

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Hello,

My question is addressed to Starter.Why are you connecting Ascaro's comments with MCC?

He is a member of Box Hill and MCC who is asking a question. Instead of giving him a reply you play politics with him. Dosen't he deserve a response?

i will never be in any comittee i dont want to be ever,i just asking a question,about where the money goes,why such reaction ,why all this about ridicule with my name and sheep,why dont we stick to the matter of entry and prizes,why is this such apainful question,i told you last tournament at mcc all entry fee yes pal all was paid in prizes now when i say all just do the math 10 players entry fee was $50,$40,and $5 discount for club members,prizes paid 1st $300,2nd and 3rd $80 each now that comes to $460 dollars we collected exacltly $460 now are people going to ridicule this too ,this are facts,no politics how about a straight answer where is the money saythat bh open 86 players at a minimum of $15 each and not all where concession makes $1290 that figure is the minimum amount collected how much was paid out? simple math no sheeps or goats .dont other players in this tourney wander why prizes are so low .1st $100 2nd and 3rd $50 each.over to you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1972
    i will never be in any comittee i dont want to be ever
    Ah the take what you can from the sport but out nothing back in attitude.

,i just asking a question,about where the money goes,why such reaction ,why all this about ridicule with my name and sheep,why dont we stick to the matter of entry and prizes,why is this such apainful question,i told you last tournament at mcc all entry fee yes pal all was paid in prizes now when i say all just do the math 10 players entry fee was $50,$40,and $5 discount for club members,prizes paid 1st $300,2nd and 3rd $80 each now that comes to $460 dollars we collected exacltly $460 now are people going to ridicule this too ,this are facts,no politics how about a straight answer where is the money saythat bh open 86 players at a minimum of $15 each and not all where concession makes $1290 that figure is the minimum amount collected how much was paid out? simple math no sheeps or goats .dont other players in this tourney wander why prizes are so low .1st $100 2nd and 3rd $50 each.over to you sir.
    Haven't some of you guys ever heard of expenses.

What about rent, rating fees etc.

Even the MCC which owns its own premises must have to pay council rates, water rates and electricity.

The money has to come from somewhere.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You dont have to get involved in commitees and politics to give something back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You dont have to get involved in commitees and politics to give something back.
    Although that is undoubtedly true, there are far more takers than givers.

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7

My question is addressed to Starter.Why are you connecting Ascaro's comments with MCC?
    hi firegoat.
    A reasonable question that you ask.
    Ascaro Pecori is listed in the Chess VICTORIA Registrar’s books as
    ‘Primary Club = MCC’.
    A reasonable answer?

He is a member of Box Hill and MCC who is asking a question.
    Correct

Instead of giving him a reply you play politics with him.
    If he thinks the ‘humour’ that Barry and I indulged in yesterday is ‘politics’ then I will have to use more emoticons to say when I am tongue in cheek.
    Lighten up guys.

I thought humour was acceptable to Ascaro when he introduced that very funny line about ‘mickey mouse’ clubs that are not the MCC.

Doesn't he deserve a response?
    Basically, I didn’t deny him a response, eventually. I simply raised the issue of format.

I notice a second post from him on the same thread, and it is more definitive of what detail he requires. I will have a look at it.

starter

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    why all this about ridicule with my name and sheep
    Ascaro, let me apologise unreservedly for that - mia culpa.

As I said it was just a casual one line something like the new crowned Australian Champion is now forced to endure (Winning the Aust Champ in the Fast Lane, etc, etc, etc) - and certainly no offence was intended.

I apologise too for the thread drift, starter apparently became intrigued at the comment and the whole thing snowballed. You won't hear me again in the this thread unless it is to comment on entry fee/prize money disparity.

So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    As I said it was just a casual one line something like the new crowned Australian Champion is now forced to endure (Winning the Aust Champ in the Fast Lane, etc, etc, etc) - and certainly no offence was intended.
    There is a difference mate. You were clearly poking fun at his ethnicity. Even Mr starter, too, with his, "Is good?" remark.

AR

i will never be in any comittee i dont want to be ever,
    Ok Ascaro
    I will stop with the Committee jokes, for you.

i just asking a question,about where the money goes
    The Box Hill web-site at
    http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2003/e0309fop/results.htm
    shows prizes paid were $450.

Your calculation shows $1290 income from entry fees.
    Subtract $5 x 86 players = $430 for rating from the ACF.
    This leaves $410 to cover costs.

It was a 9 week tournament and rent is $50 per night.
    It had a paid arbiter some nights at $20 per night.
    Scoresheets cost $8.60 per night.

why all this about ridicule with my name and sheep
    Ok Ascaro
    I will stop with the sheep and name jokes, for you.
    BTW are you a confirmed starter for the VIC OPEN?

,why dont we stick to the matter of entry and prizes,why is this such a painful question
    Not a painful question by you Ascaro. Quite a reasonable question. I hope you find the details above answers the question.

,i told you last tournament at mcc all entry fee yes pal all was paid in prizes
    Ascaro, I am reluctant to comment on this part because the MCC VP wants me to deal with you as a BH member.

,no politics how about a straight answer where is the money saythat bh open 86 players at a minimum of $15 each and not all where concession makes $1290 that figure is the minimum amount collected how much was paid out? simple math
    Did you understand the detail I gave above about prizes, rating fees and costs? Feel free to ask more.

dont other players in this tourney want to know why prizes are so low
    Ascaro, no-one else has asked about prize distribution. (Except Anton Nincevic who wanted a best senior prize also in the bottom half because he was peeved that Fluedy always won the best senior in the top half).

starter

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    There is a difference mate. You were clearly poking fun at his ethnicity. Even Mr starter, too, with his, "Is good?" remark.

AR
    AR
    I have spent my whole lunch-break apologising for yesterday. Let me do one more, as I missed this one so far. "It was not so good"

BTW, Barry, I think I will stick to maths puzzles in future. Any more coming?

starter

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Not at all, mate. The only thing was my pun only made sense if you knew Italian, just as the Gary Lane puns only make sense if you know English. There was was nothing related to ethnicity (except Mrs starter's comments about New Zealanders for which I cannot be held responsible, surely).

I have never met Ascaro but judging from his name I thought there was a fair chance he knew Italian so the comment was really meant to be a private chuckle between ourselves.

In fact I still don't know if Ascaro's ethnicity is Italian (his name certainly isn't typically Italian). Even if Ascaro is Italian I don't think you could label be as anti-Italian since (for one thing) I am married to an Italo-Australian and have studied to a limited extent the language, history and culture.

PS Looks like I couldn't keep my previous promise. Sorry. Last post for sure. So if you are going to continue to troll, arosar, please do it in another thread.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Not at all, mate. The only thing was my pun only made sense if you knew Italian, just as the Gary Lane puns only make sense if you know English. There was was nothing related to ethnicity (except Mrs starter's comments about New Zealanders for which I cannot be held responsible, surely).

I have never met Ascaro but judging from his name I thought there was a fair chance he knew Italian so the comment was really meant to be a private chuckle between ourselves.

In fact I still don't know if Ascaro's ethnicity is Italian (his name certainly isn't typically Italian). Even if Ascaro is Italian I don't think you could label be as anti-Italian since (for one thing) I am married to an Italo-Australian and have studied to a limited extent the language, history and culture.

PS Looks like I couldn't keep my previous promise. Sorry. Last post for sure. So if you are going to continue to troll, arosar, please do it in another thread.
    AR, Barry
    Sorry.
    Ascaro is a beaut bloke.
    I am married to an Italian.
    The NZ comment was probably gratuitous but who at that stage of the thread, apart from Barry, was following the drift of the conversation.
    :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-#
    starter

CC International Master
    The Canberra Chess Club, where I play from time to time, has a formula where a fixed component of the entry fee ($5 per head) goes into the prize pool. The rest goes to consolidated revenue to meet rent and other running costs of the club. Prizes amount to probably less than 25% of the club's costs; rent is the big one. Belconnen is similar in a sense; it doesn't have prizes.

While it's reasonable to expect that there would be some connection between prizes and entry fees, as prizes are a portion of costs it will only be approximate. Also many expenses especially rent are fixed independent of entries.

A body like the Doeberl Cup committee does a financial report for the event but I have never seen a club prepare reports on a tournament by tournament basis - to do it meaningfully you would have to write back costs like deterioration of equipment, pro-rata share of general administration, etc; but in any case you would just come up with the not entirely earth-shattering conclusion that there are positive and negative balances that cancel each other out over the year.

In my experience most members aren't that worried about the day to day finances which is why they have a club Treasurer to look after it. Of course we would expect a Treasurer to know how much in entry fees was taken if anybody asks.

Thread Information