Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metro Respini

CC Candidate Master

Metro Respini

The Metro club Respini tournament began on Thursday - there are 49 players grouped into 5 divisions 'A'-'E' with the 'A' being FIDE rated.

Cross-tables, predictions and Round 1 games (all divisions) are available from http://wachess.org.au/

Juniors Ganesh Viswanath (1745) & Yita Choong (1754) had an interesting game.

CC Grandmaster
    Win or lose, Yita's games are always interesting..

CC Candidate Master
    Games from all five divisions of the Respini can be played through online http://www.geocities.com/metrochessclub/

CC Candidate Master
    Round 2 results and games are now available. A late addition (well done Paul Taylor) now means that we have 10 players in each of the 5 divisions.

CC Candidate Master
    Interesting- so I am playing Shyam I take it?
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Careth
    Interesting- so I am playing Shyam I take it?
    This week (round 3) you are due to be black against Thomas Doherty.
    Round 1 you were due for black against Shyam, round 2 white against Ben Motu. The first catch-up week is after round 4.

CC Candidate Master
    Fun fun fun... time to start studying his openings with my English teacher and Jay
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Candidate Master
    So rob, how did you go on Thursday night? and any upsets?

I got a win, and if you could at some point go through it, here it is. I am black against a 1100 (or something) rated player. Almost all tactics, no strategy except play queenside sweep, then trade off his Bishop and queen.

PGN Viewer

I went through it and there are no mistakes. Happy planning
    Last edited by Careth; 16-09-2005 at 01:30 AM.
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Grandmaster
    I got a win, and if you could at some point go through it, here it is. I am black against a 1100 (or something) rated player. Almost all tactics, no strategy except play queenside sweep, then trade off his Bishop and queen.
    Looks like you played well, and your opponent played very poorly.

You already had the initiative on move four (4.d3 is terrible), and by the time he gave you a free pawn you were well on top. He could have made things a bit more interesting by getting active on the K-side when your Q was stuck on the other side, with (say) 19.h4, but instead he gave you a free piece.

CC Candidate Master
    So rob, how did you go on Thursday night? and any upsets?
    I drew, my play was disappointing again (missed stuff) but I did find the game quite different and thus interesting. The stand out upset in the 'A' division was David Ellis losing to Richard Lilly - with 5 divisions there are plenty of 'minor' upsets.
    I got a win, and if you could at some point go through it, here it is.
    Well done
    Will go over it when I get some time (probably Saturday morning after I've enterred the 'A' & 'B division games). My comments probably won't be too different to those of Pax.

CC Candidate Master
    So rob, who are you and I playing next week, and does the round schedule still apply? (I dled the schedule of before I entered, although will my presence have changed it?)
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Candidate Master
    So rob, who are you and I playing next week, and does the round schedule still apply? (I dled the schedule of before I entered, although will my presence have changed it?)
    I am black against John Fedec (he is very confident). You are black against Tony Lofthouse - the schedule is unchanged ppl vs number 7 have the priviledge of playing you rather than getting a bye

There have been slight changes to 'B' & 'C' divisions as Petar Rados withdrew from 'B' so Sophie Payne was moved from 'C' to 'B'. Then Dave O'Shaughnessy was added to 'C'. It's still 5 divisions of 10 ppl in each - the 'C' is now very much more interesting as Sophie was widely expected to come clear 1st.

CC Candidate Master
    Interesting. John does seem to get a bit over confident. Last Thursday, he says, "Lock me up Ray, I am about to win." Then if I recall, he lost.

Either way, thanks for the info- Lofthouse, I think I saw him play an e4 game in some round, and he played last year. Some info to go by Seem to recall him playing a Bishops opening...
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Candidate Master
    Interesting. John does seem to get a bit over confident. Last Thursday, he says, "Lock me up Ray, I am about to win." Then if I recall, he lost.
    That's my mate John - he is often over confident before a move has been played! Its all well and good to expect a lot from yourself but most ppl are a bit more modest before they play.

Last week against Leon, John was clearly better off for most of the game before stuffing up.

CC Candidate Master
    Round 4 games are now available for downloading and playing through. Well worth looking at is Sophie Payne's round 4 win over Rob Baumgartner.

This Thursday is a much needed (by some) catch-up week.

Thread Information