Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CHECK & MATE movie 12.55am tonight SBS [SPOILERS]

MOVIE - DRAMA - CHECK AND MATE (REGINA DEGLI SCACCHI)
    Maria Adele (Barbara Bobulova) is a 17-year-old chess prodigy who is tormented by terrible nightmares. Although she gathers that these nightmares are somehow connected to her childhood, she remembers nothing of what the cause and subsequently, it remains buried in the past. One day she finds a letter which makes her suspect that she is adopted. This throws her into turmoil and she sets out to find her natural mother. With the help Emilio (Ettore Bassi), a young reporter who befriended her, she sets out to find her mother and, perhaps, the key to her past. Directed by Claudia Florio. (In Italian, English subtitles) (2000) M (V, A) (Rpt)
    Alert Code: 9568
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-09-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    The title translates literally to "Queen of Chess". Funny how these things are translated for marketing purposes in various countries.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I am going out shortly and just hope I can stay awake after working all today.

Maybe a role can be found for Ariene Caioli in some local film about chess?

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    I was hoping I might be able to show bits of this movie to kids at my chess holiday program but it sounds too dramatic for that - plus the M rating. I showed Searching for BF last holidays which the kids loved. I am not aware of any other suitable for kids chess movies available on video - has anyone encountered anything like this, even with a minor chess-related sub-plot?

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    This movie was on not long ago wasn't it? I think i've seen it.....
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    I was hoping I might be able to show bits of this movie to kids at my chess holiday program but it sounds too dramatic for that - plus the M rating. I showed Searching for BF last holidays which the kids loved. I am not aware of any other suitable for kids chess movies available on video - has anyone encountered anything like this, even with a minor chess-related sub-plot?

You might try the Luzhin Defence -- it's a love story set about an introverted chess player (who may well have been modelled on Paul Morphy in his later years). He suicides toward the end so it might not be very suitable for kids . . . but you'd probably enjoy it yourself.
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    WARNING: SPOILERS

I taped "REGINA DEGLI SCACCHI" but only got around to watching it last night. Indeed could be a bit confronting for young audiences given that much of the plot revolves around murder, paedophilia and suicide.

Marriotti was listed in the credits so I assume he was a consultant of some kind but there were a lot of mistakes in chess scenes. I noticed these:

* In the simul at the start of the movie one of Maria Adele's opponents enforces touchmove. Normally in simuls the simulgiver is not covered by touchmove and furthermore has the right to retract their move before they have moved on the next board.

* When Maria Adele plays Emilio the first time the moves of the game (with her as black) start 1.e4 g5 2.Nf3 Nc6. Surely some mistake - surely ...e5 or ...c5 on move 1?

* Maria Adele recognises a game played by her tutor from a chess book on the basis of the style of the opening moves. Actually this is the last way one would recognise a game given that successful openings used by strong players are so often adopted by others. It would also be unusual for a full game to be quoted in a book without the players' names.

* She practices on an very ornamentally designed set. This is unusual for serious players.

* When she plays a tournament game the referee says "White may start the clocks".

* There is no evidence of her scoring any of her games although they are considered important enough to be transmitted on boards to an audience in a room next door.

As for the film I thought it was rather cliched in its portrayal of the central character as a traumatised chess obsessive needing lurrrrve to recover from her overly narrow addiction. (Especially suss as Emilio is a bit of a sleaze.) Rather like a gender-reversed version of the stereotyping in The Luzhin Defence. Some of the acting was a bit dodgy too, eg I didn't find the scene where she confronts her father about being adopted very convincing at all.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-09-2005 at 07:20 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Well you have just spoilt for Kaitlin who is after a copy but who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Well you have just spoilt for Kaitlin who is after a copy but who cares.
    Actually Kaitlin has not been here since 4 Sep, so I think that is unlikely.

I have added "[SPOILERS]" to the thread title.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I have added "[SPOILERS]" to the thread title.
    I thinks "spoilers" on the post is probably sufficient but I guess the thread title is making doubly sure.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

KB, must be shocking not been able to watch a movie at face value and just get sucked up into the story.

A cousin of mine went to see Moses, maybe 48 years ago - and afterwards stood up at front of upstairs gallery and yelled out "all bullsh.t!"

Do you have that urge as well?

Do you have that urge as well?
    I think any time you see some fiction about something that you're an expert in that can be a factor. In my case it's not just chess but also other specialties. For instance, being an expert on snails I'm astonished how often I see pictures of snails in art that are reversed (which, since snails are not symmetrical makes them look like freak specimens), see pics of land snails used in contexts where seashells would be appropriate and vice versa, and so on. I did however wonder if some people were taking fact-checking a bit too far when the authors of a Canadian children's book sent me a photo of a common garden snail with the question "Can you confirm that this is a snail?"

It is important to remember that all this has very little bearing on how much other people who are not experts will enjoy whatever it is. I still think it's worth pointing these things out though. I'd often like to know, when I'm reading novels that cover other people's areas of expertise, whether what is being talked about is plausible or shoddily researched. Especially when it comes to SF where getting it right is supposed to be the point.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    I remember there was thread... proberly like the second one I posted something in ( the first one was "whats up your nose").. the thread was something like "movies that have chess in them or chess themes".... I put Alice in Wonderland but I think it was the looking glass one someone said, cause when the Queen was going 'orf wif their heads' there was cards and all types of games characters, but im sure chess was there. But one other movie I know which you probably know already is that "Searching for Bobby Fisher" (yes I know thats not how you spell his name but i dont know how to spell it... anywho the movies not about him), I liked that movie but i dont really remember it properly now, but it was like the first real chess theme one I saw.

edit -> thread : http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=29378 (I dont know how to make it show all the posts)... just do a search for "chess in films"
    Last edited by Kaitlin; 09-09-2005 at 10:07 PM.
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Kaitlin, book about chess "The Royal Game" is quite good if you can find it.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Kaitlin, book about chess "The Royal Game" is quite good if you can find it.
    Is it a story book.. sounds like it might be, that would be good, thanks
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Thread Information