Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Account Suspended
    I've only being playing for 3 years, before then I just knew the moves.

I started with the lectures in the chessmaster series, which I consider professionally done and amazing. After 3 months, I played my first tournament and had a rating of 1100 without any opening book and minimal endgame knowledge.

Opening...

I recommend the London system. Its hard to stuff up and concentrates on just getting your pieces out. The opening will teach you about the pieces and middlegame/longterm plans as tactics are of lesser importance.

endgame...

I've recenty gone through silmans complete endgame and think this is good. It is explained clearly and simply, and divided into rating groups to not overstreach the student.

tactics...

I find Attacking chess by Waitzkin very good for casual players. They will learn a lot without spending a month on a chapter.

CC Candidate Master
    Best books for social players? Anything by CJS Purdy, also Chernev's Most Instructive Chess Games ever Played is a great one. Also a book called Simple Chess (by Stean I think!?)

Books that are big on solid principles rather than endless reams of variations are more pleasurable to get through.

My favourite chess book as a teenager was actually "The Middle Years of Paul Keres". Now there was a man who could play the game...

CC International Master
    Never underestimate the power of huge reference books for instance. Modern chess opnings or any reference book on openings. That huge middlegame book by reuben fine but not the revised edition and the huge endgame book by fine but the revised edition and you are set for life!
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD

Opening...

I recommend the London system. Its hard to stuff up and concentrates on just getting your pieces out. The opening will teach you about the pieces and middlegame/longterm plans as tactics are of lesser importance.
    The London System will stifle the growth of anybody hoping to improve their chess as it relies on repeating the same old move order game after game and therefore not forcing a player to be creative.

"Tactics being of lesser importance" means that a player is avoiding the HUGE fundamental importance of building a strong tactical feel and the need to learn all the patterns and motifs.

There are numerous systems black can adopt against such passive systems to gain early equality also.

I would recommend for anybody under 1600 to play ONLY 1.e4 as white until their level reaches a high enough level to play "positional" openings as I have seen (and faced many players) who will play such a system HOPING to avoid tactics and they will still lose to a stronger player in 25 moves anyway...a overwhelmingly strong player will create tactics even against such a system and so I think it is best as I said before to come out swinging with 1.e4.

I'd say

1. play 1.e4,e5 and some Giuco Piano/Italian Game/Evans Gambit type stuff as white until a player reaches around 1600, this will teach tactical motifs very quickly and the basic themes all new players need to know.

2. Once at this level learn the sharper lines of the Ruy Lopez and learn the strategic motifs of this opening as well.

3.Once at 1800ish you may wish to switch to 1.d4 and play sharp lines here also...but gaining experience with this order of openings study is bound to give a new player a decent foundation of knowledge behind the white pieces.
    Last edited by BrendanNorman; 02-04-2010 at 07:54 PM.
    For chess coaching news, articles and advice goto:

www.smartdolphins.net

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanNorman
    The London System will stifle the growth of anybody hoping to improve their chess as it relies on repeating the same old move order game after game and therefore not forcing a player to be creative.

"Tactics being of lesser importance" means that a player is avoiding the HUGE fundamental importance of building a strong tactical feel and the need to learn all the patterns and motifs.

There are numerous systems black can adopt against such passive systems to gain early equality also.

I would recommend for anybody under 1600 to play ONLY 1.e4 as white until their level reaches a high enough level to play "positional" openings as I have seen (and faced many players) who will play such a system HOPING to avoid tactics and they will still lose to a stronger player in 25 moves anyway...a overwhelmingly strong player will create tactics even against such a system and so I think it is best as I said before to come out swinging with 1.e4.

I'd say

1. play 1.e4,e5 and some Giuco Piano/Italian Game/Evans Gambit type stuff as white until a player reaches around 1600, this will teach tactical motifs very quickly and the basic themes all new players need to know.

2. Once at this level learn the sharper lines of the Ruy Lopez and learn the strategic motifs of this opening as well.

3.Once at 1800ish you may wish to switch to 1.d4 and play sharp lines here also...but gaining experience with this order of openings study is bound to give a new player a decent foundation of knowledge behind the white pieces.
    The best books in my library from my youth are by Leonard Barden He recommends relative beginners stick to 1 e4 too, and has lines in Scotch/Goring gambits. a line in QGD (everything has that!) as a recommendation for Black, some info on the mazy Morrah (which gave me a win against Patricia Collins, then rate 300 or so above me), the KIA and Grand Prix attack, then quite new.

He recommends new players play mostly gambits for the first year or two. I've never been game to play a Kings Gambit in a serious game though!

I used to play 1 ... e5 to 1 e4, and found my way into a few Marshall attacks. They're good fun.
    Purdy's Chess Made Easy is a Penguin these days.

There are, in my estimation, better books on tactics than Reinfeld's. His book comprises 1000 bare diagrams, with the solutions in the back. One of my preferred books in "Improve your Chess Tactics" by Yakov Neischadt. It has lessons and tests, and one can easily enjoy it on public transport. And the lessons have given me a few wins in casual games.

My favourite book though is No Regrets. It's special because of the after-market markup.

There's no hurry to switch to playing 1 d4, Fisher never did!
    John Summerfield

CC FIDE Master
    Why not TIGERCHESS by Simon Webb??

It's one of those (few) chessbooks who is read from the start till the end.

[Five stars from Copenhagen]

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen

Yep, Chess for Tigers is a modern classic.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen

Be careful, you might be banned for posting it!!
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Be careful, you might be banned for posting it!!
    Why? Is Simon Webb another Axiom's hydra?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information