Page 3 of 165 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Must be happy with the result today Fireeater, Westham 2- Fulham 1,

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    Was Fulham the team that inspired the comic-strip Billy the Fish? (He played for Fulchester which is kind of close).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Cant say i know,Fulham used to be in the bottom division.Their rise to the top league started to occur under Mohammed Al-Fayeds ownership.

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Yep

Just waiting for the bubble to burst
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

Fireeater,did Teddy play or was he "rested"?

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    The last great Tottenham team I remember was the 80's team based around Hoddle. While they played pretty football, they tended to make one pass too many and squanderd many chances. The same can be said of various West Ham teams over the years. The style of football a team plays will be dictated by the quality of their players. Thus Wimbledon became a decent club, even winning the FA cup and playing in the premiership with a long ball game and a very physical approach. But football in the UK has changed dramatically even in the past 10 years. The speed of the game has always been fast, but now it is 90 minutes at lightening speed. This makes it difficult to play anything other than a direct approach. Even the best Arsenal teams of the past 5 years have been direct in their approach, when needed. What I feel most sad about the way the game is played nowadays is the lack of width most teams employ. That is why players like Roben, and Giggs a few years ago, stand out. The lack of wing play brings everything tight in the middle of the field and it is amazing how many teams just try to bash their way through the central channels, more like Rugby League.

Ban wingbacks
    The games got a lot more "continental" since then. If you'd remember, most teams used the 4-3-3 formation then this was followed by 4-4-2 as teams tried to establish supremacy in the midfield. Soon, so many teams had adopted this that to have 4 in the backline was seen as being overly defensive. So along came the 3-5-2 formation. With that congested a midfield, short passes and slower build up was necessary. Its probably not the lack of wing play that you lament, but the lack of space needed. With such modern formations you'd also find that the forwards tend to make quite a number of runs diagonally down to sidelines, shied the ball and then play back to supporting player.

In terms of the 5 in midfield, there's normally a defensive holding player who sits in front of the back 3. His role (predominantly) is to move the ball from left to right and vice versa. Think Roy Keane, Patrick Viera, Steven Gerrard (sometimes), Edgar Davids. Their role is to try and break up opposing attacks through tough tackling. I guess 'uncompromising' is a term I'd use to describe them. The great players are those who are also equally adept at surging forward with the ball and because they come from deep, they difficult to pick up. One of the reasons I feel arsenal are not doing well is the loss of Viera. They seem to have lost their 'surge' from defense to attack.

In the forwards, you'd normally find a target man and another 'smaller forward' who links the midfield. Target men are typically strong at playing with their backs to goal. (Think of players like Viduka, Shearer).

What was Arsenal thinking when they got rid of Viera without getting a suitable replacement,I mean i know they run a tight budget but cmon. Nearly as bad as when Beckham left Man U.

Fireeater,did Teddy play or was he "rested"?
    I was listening on the radio and they said he was apparently "rested"

They are going to need those 39 year old legs to keep that "bubble" going.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenlhs
    The games got a lot more "continental" since then. If you'd remember, most teams used the 4-3-3 formation then this was followed by 4-4-2 as teams tried to establish supremacy in the midfield. Soon, so many teams had adopted this that to have 4 in the backline was seen as being overly defensive. So along came the 3-5-2 formation. With that congested a midfield, short passes and slower build up was necessary. Its probably not the lack of wing play that you lament, but the lack of space needed. With such modern formations you'd also find that the forwards tend to make quite a number of runs diagonally down to sidelines, shied the ball and then play back to supporting player.

In terms of the 5 in midfield, there's normally a defensive holding player who sits in front of the back 3. His role (predominantly) is to move the ball from left to right and vice versa. Think Roy Keane, Patrick Viera, Steven Gerrard (sometimes), Edgar Davids. Their role is to try and break up opposing attacks through tough tackling. I guess 'uncompromising' is a term I'd use to describe them. The great players are those who are also equally adept at surging forward with the ball and because they come from deep, they difficult to pick up. One of the reasons I feel arsenal are not doing well is the loss of Viera. They seem to have lost their 'surge' from defense to attack.

In the forwards, you'd normally find a target man and another 'smaller forward' who links the midfield. Target men are typically strong at playing with their backs to goal. (Think of players like Viduka, Shearer).
    Yep, agree mostly with all you say. Still, when a world class fast wide forward comes into the premiership, it causes havoc. Just like the old chess adage, old wine in new bottles Take as an example Mark Overmars when he first joined Arsenal.

They are going to need those 39 year old legs to keep that "bubble" going.
    They are going to need a decent transfer window in January, and hope they haven't slipped too far down the table by then

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    Yep, agree mostly with all you say. Still, when a world class fast wide forward comes into the premiership, it causes havoc. Just like the old chess adage, old wine in new bottles Take as an example Mark Overmars when he first joined Arsenal.
    Where is Marc Overmars these days? I think the defenders figured him out after 1 or 2 seasons. One of my fav forwards is Andriy Shevchenko. Year after year, he still keeps scoring in Serie A.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenlhs
    Where is Marc Overmars these days? I think the defenders figured him out after 1 or 2 seasons. One of my fav forwards is Andriy Shevchenko. Year after year, he still keeps scoring in Serie A.
    Overmars went to Spain, but now I don't know. I never really followed the continental leagues....all the English leagues are more than enough

I think Overmars is in germany nowadays.

I think Overmars is in germany nowadays.
    Apparently, he's retired due to injury

http://www.icons.com/MO/

Thread Information