Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Reply to Howie

Stop stealing my thunder!
    Wait till Kev announces results of the latest count!

Like you know dude, I like got the first five right and just like switched the last two
    We 'll team up with Jonathan and Boris and demand either a recount or a by-election. Your kind of win would make the bloke of Zimbabwe look like a martyr for Democracy!

Your comment is totally bogus man, and way out of line
    Why didn't I get three correct?

Like dude, think of it in Gold Lotto terms, I'm like a multi multi millionaire and you're like winning ten bucks :lol
    1) Gold Lotto results don't count in Victoria. We don't even know the bloody thing!
    2) I don't care I still want my ten bucks!
    3) Tash get him he keeps on plagiarising "like" like ther's no tomorrow!
    CAGLES
    Last edited by ER; 16-02-2009 at 07:06 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

Are you able to run reports on number of correspondence posts as a percentage of total posts?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Are you able to run reports on number of correspondence posts as a percentage of total posts?
    Only to the extent that we have now and then kept track of them manually.

The earliest I have on this (and this is a bit rough as the original figure I had overlooked archived posts) is that CC posts were about 11.8% of all posts on the board up to end of June 2007.

By end of Dec 2007 (the next reading) the figure had increased to 13.3%. From then I have readings at the end of each month. It stayed around that level through to the end of April 2008 but by the end of May 2008 had increased to 13.98%.

It has been in the high 13s to low 14s since then, reaching a high of 14.44% at the end of October 2008 which then declined to 13.82% by the end of Jan 2009.

It is currently 14.01%.

With two tournaments running at once, CC game posts have been 28% of all posts made so far in February.

Sorry I meant to say per user.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Sorry I meant to say per user.
    There is no easy way to calculate that.

It is possible for any poster to (very laboriously) use the search function to find out how many CC posts a given poster has made by searching by poster name through a number of different subforums one at a time (including those moved to Archived Forums), although for posters who have made more than 500 posts in any one subforum this won't give an exact figure.

Ok no worries. I was just curious if the top 20 posters would change much if correspondence posts were included in their total postcount. I assume you would have the most posts, but some other posters' postions might change quite drastically.

would today be a record for least number of posts?

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    would today be a record for least number of posts?
    Nowhere near. Today has 84 posts (including this one) with two and a bit hours to go. The quietest days since 1 Jan 2004 (when the ex-ACF posters joined chesschat) were:

18 posts Dec 8, 2007
    19 posts July 21, 2007
    22 posts June 12, 2004
    22 posts April 10, 2004
    22 posts August 17, 2007
    23 posts April 9, 2004
    23 posts May 23, 2004
    23 posts July 30, 2005
    24 posts May 1, 2004
    25 posts May 15, 2004

Not sure if forum was offline for part of any of these.

The two quietest days in 2009 so far were January 14 (63 posts) and January 18 (70 posts).

As previously noted the quietest day in 2008 was August 6 (41 posts).

In fact we finished 1-3-09 on 115 posts, which is above the average for Sundays since the forum started.

but does that include shoutbox and cc game moves, or only unadultered posts in forums?

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    but does that include shoutbox and cc game moves, or only unadultered posts in forums?
    It does include CC game posts but does not include shoutbox. It would be nice to look at the same stat without CC game posts but that is trickier to do.

There were a number of tournaments on this weekend which would have kept several posters offline. Saturday (59) and Friday (64) were the quietest and third quietest days of the year on the forum so far although Sunday then registered 130.

This brought to an end a run of 46 consecutive days with 90 or more posts, which is the longest such run in forum history.

it's a pity the correspondence games can't be put in a (sub)domain such as

corroDOTchesschatDOTorg but still accessible from here

so they could be excluded (?) from the main forum stats

Alex (Arrogant-One) is boasting about his forum's postcount again. What he is failing to mention (in boasting that they recently had one day with a record 75 posts, never mind that we recently had 46 days in a row with at least 90!) is that daily postcount stats on his forum have been inflated by:

* An unusually large number of correspondence-game posts. In March so far Toolboxers have made 210 posts in either their forum's correspondence section or the tournament they are playing against some other chess forums. CC game posts thus account for about 24% of their action for the month to date. In the past the average there has been around 7%. We also have months where CC games are an unusually high total, and this is why we monitor figures that exclude CC games.

* Spammer attacks such as that by "Nadia" (Nadia's posts alone increased the average post/day rate for the Toolbox by close to one post for the month to date). We get this sort of thing sometimes too but it is nothing like the portion of our postcount as it would be over there.

In real terms (-cc games and spam) his forum is only on about 24.4 ppd for this month, which is still rather high by their standards, but not remarkably so.

AO claims that his forum's average 35.9 "posts" per day for March so far (including all posts) is "approximately a third" of what we are getting. For the record, for once he is not too far wrong for this particular month - our daily average for this month so far is 111 ppd (all posts). However our averages for January and February were 131 and 159 ppd (all posts) respectively.

By the way, effective compilation of Toolbox statistics has been made more difficult by the search function only returning 150 results. I have just increased the maximum here to 1000 and may increase it further now and then if a need for it is apparent.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 05-10-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Not surprisingly there has been a response to the above. Even less surprisingly it isn't a very good one:

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One
    So it seems Kevin Bonham, in a fit of jealousy,
    These kinds of unsubstantiated ambit claims of jealousy, while not exclusively the domain of trolls, are extremely commonly used by them. Such deployments of the "jealousy card" to troll are lame and ineffective.

has written off ******* boosted post count by claiming that its all due to correspondence games.
    Not correct; I wrote that the real Toolbox postcount was "still rather high by their standards, but not remarkably so." Therefore I was not claiming the increase was all due to correspondence games - only mostly!

As it happens I was being too kind since if correspondence game posts and spam are excluded, they have actually gone backwards in March compared to February.

What he has overlooked is that often, on ******* as opposed to CC, correspondence games include a lot of dialogue and talking
    Yes Toolbox correspondence games often include chatter between the participants during the game, much of it of a one-line shoutbox-style nature, which is pretty rare in our games (at least the tournament ones).

However, our games will quite often have post-mortem discussions some of which can be quite detailed and involve posters other than those who played in the game. Furthermore, verbal posts on threads discussing the setting up of the tournaments and rules of the tournaments are also included in our CC game section, and do not count towards user postcounts.

He has also failed to acknowledge that CC cheats by boosting its post count by using single posts to show a game, whereas on ******* our chess viewer can display several games, hence only one post is needed here.
    AO expresses himself poorly here and it is hard to tell whether he is talking about correspondence game posts or regular posts of games. I will assume the latter since I am not aware of any uses of the multiple game ability to play many Toolbox correspondence games at once on the same thread. If so, his comment is incorrect since Chesschatters can present multiple games in single posts simply by using the pgn function repeatedly, and many frequently do this.

Some of us will put games in individual posts when annotating them in detail but in that case it is reasonable for each game to be a different post anyway.

As for cheating on postcounts, allowing Axiom to post multiple videos in a row each as individual posts is surely an example of this.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Wednesday was our quietest day of the year so far with 57 total posts. This is not unusual; a check of previous Easters shows that quiet days often occur either during or immediately after the Easter break. Today, however, we have recorded over 100 with a few hours to go.

Wednesday was even quieter for the Toolbox which (unless I missed some deleted posts) racked up a princely sum for the day of four. Things are now back to abnormal over there too; for instance the "Noddy" account today posted 15 one-line "posts" (and one shout) in 11 minutes!

Thread Information