Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Not sure if you have a minimum thread length caveat, but I reckon I would come close on the AFL Premiership 2008 thread.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Sorry, I should have expressed that better. I was talking about posters who have the highest proportion of their total posts on a single thread, eg Axiom has 1042 out of his 4032 total.

When it comes to posters dominating a particular thread, Axiom is another case in point as he has more than half the posts on The Information War.

Oh I see
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

i contend that if the word "information" is within fifty spaces of the words "war" or "wars" then the resulting coupling should be asterisked!!

Having attained the goal of keeping my post count at least 1,000 each side of any other poster, I see that I now a 2,000 shout buffer each side of any other poster.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Having attained the goal of keeping my post count at least 1,000 each side of any other poster, I see that I now a 2,000 shout buffer each side of any other poster.
    Uh... congratulations?
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    Uh... congratulations?
    Thanks. Doesn't take much to keep me amused
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    I have noticed that I have the lowest rating on CC, and have still managed to evade being on the Top 20 females list.

That, my friends, is skill.
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

In the month of November Chesschat averaged 177 posts per day. This is the highest monthly figure since we started keeping monthly records and is also higher than any average we have documented for previous periods before monthly records were kept. It is almost double the activity for the previous month.

While some may say that the recent activity of the teenage posters since the creation of Teen Forum is the cause of this (and many of the posts there so far are one-liners), that would be mistaken, as even without that upsurge there would still be at least 140 ppd for the month. The Olympiad was of course a major factor but it appears the forum was quite active in general this last month even ignoring the Olympiad and Teen Forum.

In contrast those on the small island have done all kinds of things to try to create some illusion of activity. These have included creating 28 threads in a forum called "Games From Chess Olympiad 2008 (Dresden)", most of which were simply cut-and-paste data-dumps from other sites, having a section where they copy and paste posts from TCG and other blogs verbatim, and having a section where some birdbrain called "Carrier Pigeon" copies and pastes posts from here. Despite this and despite that the boon the Olympiad should have been in terms of generating actual original comment, they couldn't even increase their post-rate by a single post per day from their poor result of October (which was down 38% from September and 59% from August.)

It is amusing to note Arrogant-One's blatant revisionism when confronted with these stats. Alongside with his failed attempts at pedantry about reporting periods he finally can't cope with his site's share of the action dropping to 7.4% (lowest ever) and makes the following attempt to play it down:

The comparisons, however, with the larger chess forum are somewhat meaningless. ******* is not trying to usurp or supplant CC, and it was never was intended to do that. Its[sic] a little like someone building a Lamborghini Diablo and then Kevin, the unelected pilot of a privately owned airplane saying "We'll[sic], you're[sic] Lamborghini Diablo doesn't fly like this airplane".

"No kidding?" is the response. Perhaps because it was never designed to. Maybe someday Kevin will figure that out.
    What I have figured out is that Alex has adopted the mantra "If at first you don't succeed, deny you were even trying". There are abundant quotes from the early days that show that a position comparable to ours or even supplanting our site (which he overambitiously referred to as a "sinking ship") was exactly what he intended. A classic of the genre was his 24 July 2007 comment where he suspected that "In about a year" the Australian chess forum public would be "approximately equally split between" the two sites.

Arrogant-One reminds readers that the July-September quarter was their noisiest quarter ever in post count terms. Well of course it was, primarily because it was the one where I most prominently blessed them with my presence.

By the way, AO tries to muddy the waters by referring to posts deleted from his site as if this might affect our calculations. Precisely to make sure that it didn't, I counted all the posts on his site that had actually been made in November upon finding out that the deletions had occurred.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 02-12-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Sorry, I should have expressed that better. I was talking about posters who have the highest proportion of their total posts on a single thread, eg Axiom has 1042 out of his 4032 total.

When it comes to posters dominating a particular thread, Axiom is another case in point as he has more than half the posts on The Information War.
    Baloney I can beat that. I am sure that I have 100% of posts on architecture on criticising Harry Seidler, that vandal. My Janis Joplin thread would probably be a winner as well.

Another phoney was Brett Whitley whatever his name. His paintings were rubbish. I see now that they are taking them down. They are finally recognising them for what they are worth.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Another phoney was Brett Whitley whatever his name. His paintings were rubbish. I see now that they are taking them down. They are finally recognising them for what they are worth.
    Actually they are not chucking Whiteley out. The Gallery of NSW is just selling one Whiteley (Balmoral) and one Perceval to raise funds to purchase a Cezanne. I don;t know of the exact number of Whiteleys in the Gallery collection but a quick search of their website came up with more than 30.

Indeed the Gallery has recognised them for what they are worth. If you are trying to sell paintings to raise a large sum of money it doesn't make sense to sell the worthless ones.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

[EDIT: see post 394 of Toolbox-Detox for more - edit added 8 Sep 09]

Dual citizen Ninja posted the following comparison over there:

Still simplistic, but anyhow....
    97 users currently online here
    109 users currently online at CC

Almost caught up
    The problem with this comparison is that it does not compare the same things. Chesschat's list of posters online includes only those online in the last two hours, whereas the Toolbox includes everyone online on that day. (indeed today as I post they are spuriously "ahead" 110-103).

I know this because I have not been logged-in there for almost 24 hours and am still showing as online!
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-09-2009 at 02:42 AM.

CC International Master Space_Dude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    I have noticed that I have the lowest rating on CC, and have still managed to evade being on the Top 20 females list.

That, my friends, is skill.
    rating as in FIDE??
    IMABACK

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.K
    rating as in FIDE??
    acf

Thread Information