Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    In the last month Non-Chess has been very slightly more than half the posts but at that rate it would take 315 years for Non-Chess to have 50% of all posts. Going back any further than about a month Non-Chess has been below 50% of the total between then and now, so this is possibly just a temporary dominance of non-chess posts based partly on the usual lack of organised chess in the month of February. Since the start of last year, non-chess has been 38.8% of the total. Over the life of the site it has been 33.5% (this has only increased very slowly, eg it was 32% as of August 2012).
    Thanks for the detailed answer to my poorly formed question! Having looked at the numbers in more detail, a better question would be whether the Non-Chess thread total will overtake all the other threads combined excluding Upcoming and Current Tournaments. At present I believe it's roughly a tie, so Non-Chess winning sometime this year should be a good bet.

CC Grandmaster
    I believe there is something of that sort - if a poster firmly and permanently wishes to not see posts in a particular section of the forum, I can deny that poster access to that section. That means that while logged in, they will not see posts from that section in New Posts, and will not be able to post in that section. It seems they don't even see that section on the title page. (They can see it if they log out.) I can't do it on a thread by thread basis though - only the sections and subsections showing on the main page. As with username changes I wouldn't want posters continually asking me to change their preferences back and forth, so posters could make one request of this kind every six months. ...
    Would subscribing only to the threads you are interested in also work?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer to my poorly formed question! Having looked at the numbers in more detail, a better question would be whether the Non-Chess thread total will overtake all the other threads combined excluding Upcoming and Current Tournaments. At present I believe it's roughly a tie, so Non-Chess winning sometime this year should be a good bet.
    I don't think it is roughly a tie or close to it. There are 12,682 threads of which the tournaments section has 2,422. Non-Chess as such has 2,087 but there are other non-chess sections that have another 623. The total includes 632 threads that normal posters can't see (a lot of these are non-chess too) and another 1,382 chess threads that are archived.

Would subscribing only to the threads you are interested in also work?
    It might if you wanted to use that as a substitute for reading via New Posts. I think he's getting tired of having his New Posts lists flooded with non-chess stuff.

CC Grandmaster
    I don't think it is roughly a tie or close to it. There are 12,682 threads of which the tournaments section has 2,422. Non-Chess as such has 2,087 but there are other non-chess sections that have another 623. The total includes 632 threads that normal posters can't see (a lot of these are non-chess too) and another 1,382 chess threads that are archived.
    Interesting data, but I should have been clearer. I should have said that the total number of posts on the Non-Chess threads will overtake the total number of posts on all the other threads combined excluding the threads in Upcoming and Current Tournaments. I believe those numbers are currently almost tied.

Interesting data, but I should have been clearer. I should have said that the total number of posts on the Non-Chess threads will overtake the total number of posts on all the other threads combined excluding the threads in Upcoming and Current Tournaments. I believe those numbers are currently almost tied.
    Total posts = 429,296
    Upcoming and Current Tournaments = 83,661
    leaving 345,635
    Non-Chess = 143,789
    other sections = 201,846
    however that includes 12,287 that are offline for non-mods and 18,445 in the other non-chess related sections (Coffee Lounge, 1337 Lounge, News, Help and Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Great! Please block me from the non-chess section. Even better it looks like I will be saving 29.6% of my time otherwise wasted in posting here although Id guess much of this time was spent refuting the religious nutters who used to post here.
    You can also go into a forum, Eg non-chess, on top right under "forum tools" you can click "mark forum read".
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    You can also go into a forum, Eg non-chess, on top right under "forum tools" you can click "mark forum read".
    He can't see these posts anymore, I've blocked him from Non-Chess at his request.

CC Grandmaster
    Total posts = 429,296
    Upcoming and Current Tournaments = 83,661
    leaving 345,635
    Non-Chess = 143,789
    other sections = 201,846
    however that includes 12,287 that are offline for non-mods and 18,445 in the other non-chess related sections (Coffee Lounge, 1337 Lounge, News, Help and Feedback)
    Thanks again Kevin. So there is a chance that I'll live to see total posts in Non-Chess overtaking all the other posts combined excluding those in Upcoming and Current Tournaments. Although that won't be as memorable as Non-Chess being 50% of the total posts, which I won't live to see - if it ever happens.

CC Grandmaster
    He can't see these posts anymore, I've blocked him from Non-Chess at his request.
    I think there's an Alanis Morissette song about that

CC Grandmaster
    In the last month Non-Chess has been very slightly more than half the posts but at that rate it would take 315 years for Non-Chess to have 50% of all posts. Going back any further than about a month Non-Chess has been below 50% of the total between then and now, so this is possibly just a temporary dominance of non-chess posts based partly on the usual lack of organised chess in the month of February.

Since the start of last year, non-chess has been 38.8% of the total. Over the life of the site it has been 33.5% (this has only increased very slowly, eg it was 32% as of August 2012).
    Chess is giving way to Non-Chess
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    His reference in the Shoutbox to "komrad", which only appears in the 2019 Federal Election thread, would suggest that he has been reading the Non-Chess threads

His reference in the Shoutbox to "komrad", which only appears in the 2019 Federal Election thread, would suggest that he has been reading the Non-Chess threads
    Shout in question being:
    [23-04, 20:58] jammo: Some posts use the word “komrad”. Is that how dumb people spell “comrade” these days?

Hey, I may be dumb, but at least I'm not grammar-troll-who-can't-remember-what-threads-he's-pretending-he's-not-reading-dumb dumb.
    meep meep

Antisense has not posted for ten years, maybe similar to Jono's wife - I suppose someone has to wash the dishes
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Antisense has not posted for ten years, maybe similar to Jono's wife - I suppose someone has to wash the dishes
    The dishwasher washes the dishes. It doesn't post here because it's worried its intellect would outshine yours.

Thread Information