Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

Northern Territory

A few weeks ago someone was posting about the ACF getting something going in the NT. I'm interested to know if people really believe that?

What should the ACF do about NT (if anything)?

Why should they do it?

Who should do it?

How much should it cost?

It would be good tho

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    The ACF shafted the NT at its last AGM. I spoke against such a move, but hey, what would I know about fairness and the long-term interests of Australian chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    The ACF shafted the NT at its last AGM. I spoke against such a move, but hey, what would I know about fairness and the long-term interests of Australian chess.
    You got that right. What would you know when it came to the CANT.

The Chess Association of the Northern Territory was defunct. It had not participated in any ACF business in well over 18mths. As such there was no point having it remain as an affiliated Association and was removed by a vote of 19-2.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You got that right. What would you know when it came to the CANT.

The Chess Association of the Northern Territory was defunct. It had not participated in any ACF business in well over 18mths. As such there was no point having it remain as an affiliated Association and was removed by a vote of 19-2.
    Adding a little more to this, sorry Bill , if someone was to restart CANT and get chess going again in NT, then I am sure they would be accepted back to the acf and could re apply for affiliation, with all the rights and responsibilities that entails.

Since their disaffiliation, I have not been hearing any cries from NT about their disaffiliation, which would give rise to the fact that there is no formal chess scene in NT .

For anyone considering starting formalised chess in NT, i would first consider a name change away from CANT. Not the best name for an association getting off the ground

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

What does the ACF offer NT?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Since their disaffiliation, I have not been hearing any cries from NT about their disaffiliation, which would give rise to the fact that there is no formal chess scene in NT
    I know lots of chess enthusiasts in NT. But why would they need a "formal" chess scene unless they wanted to start a club in Darwin, Alice Springs or some other town?

Why would these chess enthusiasts need ACF formality when they play their mates or on the internet or through CCLA?

CC FIDE Master
    All of this is focusing on the CANT. I was talking about getting more people playing chess (or organised chess) in the Territory.

Is the ACF's only role to promote chess to ITS MEMBERS (ie. affiliated state assns). Or do they have a higher purpose?

Even if the CANT is dead and has no likelyhood of re-starting should the ACF still try and get more people playing chess in NT? Should they be making even more of an effort to promote chess in an area that isn't represented by a 'formal' association?

Perhaps once there are lots of ppl playing some organised chess (even without a CANT) then they will start wanting some of the ACF formality? But i guess that comes back to the ACF's goal - is it to Promote Chess in Australia. Or is it to Promote Chess to its Members (in order to derive funds from said members)?

What if the CV disbanded. Should the ACF then ban any GP tournaments, ratings, players going overseas etc from Victoria?

CC Grandmaster
    There is a limit to what the ACF can do.

If there are one or two people in the NT that are willing and able to make a concerted effort to organise tournaments/clubs/events, then the ACF can probably support them with equipment and/or startup money.

Without local organisers, the ACF cannot practically help. Paying someone to go the NT to organise things for 6 months or a year would a) cost a fortune and b) probably result in activities drying up at the end of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuru
    All of this is focusing on the CANT. I was talking about getting more people playing chess (or organised chess) in the Territory.

Is the ACF's only role to promote chess to ITS MEMBERS (ie. affiliated state assns). Or do they have a higher purpose?

Even if the CANT is dead and has no likelyhood of re-starting should the ACF still try and get more people playing chess in NT? Should they be making even more of an effort to promote chess in an area that isn't represented by a 'formal' association?

Perhaps once there are lots of ppl playing some organised chess (even without a CANT) then they will start wanting some of the ACF formality? But i guess that comes back to the ACF's goal - is it to Promote Chess in Australia. Or is it to Promote Chess to its Members (in order to derive funds from said members)?

What if the CV disbanded. Should the ACF then ban any GP tournaments, ratings, players going overseas etc from Victoria?

what's behind it all?

is CG's agenda here to help re-establish an association whose membership numbers were minimal and to give it as much power (possibly?) as the NSWCA at ACF conferences etc?

what next, a relocation of his business ventures to darwin and alice springs with a view to eventually finding his way onto the ACF as the NT delegate?

but then i remember ... it's "membership" "numbers" were probably on a par with those of chess victoria anyway ....

eclectic

CC Candidate Master
    i personally thought disbanding the NT chess assocation was a step backward.
    (also it should have been called simply the NTCA right?!)

chess activity, like everything, is cyclical. people come into and out of chess in 1/5/10 year periods. nt has a history of players in darwin and alice. a few years back (was it 5 or 10 years back) alice springs had a proper chess tournament there.
    however, i would agree at the moment there doesn't seem to be heaps of activity in those centres. however, i know darwin is a fairly vibrant place (and is recognised as one of the fastest growing capitals in australia eg. property and office space there is undervalued due to the discount for the risk of cyclones, etc. so, in 10 years time who knows it could double in population (from 80k to 160k or whatever it is, i'm not too sure).

the association was the platform (foundation) for the players/organisers.
    if no one was able to represent then someone from north qld or north wa would have been ok to represent (i guess there could have been a legal problem here but it could have been overcome i'm sure). reforming the assocation now takes endless committee meetings, time, etc. not to mention the momentum is get the suggestion supported again and reformed.

also, say for example the nt government gave money to chess (or the australian sports commission did the same). this is not as completely ridiculous as you would think to happen in the next 1/5/10/20 years. they give money to lawn bowls to promote the game to the young. how could this money be directed towards NT without any type of barebone structure in place.

i realise it was disbanded so that the voting in acf meeting wasn't skewed for the 1 absent nt vote. but at the end of the day to me this was of lesser importance as oppose to establishing a foundation for nt chess and enabling it to grow in the future from there. as it stand it will remain a bit of a black hole.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    For anyone considering starting formalised chess in NT, i would first consider a name change away from CANT. Not the best name for an association getting off the ground
    Perhaps thay could be a called a chess union or something.

CC FIDE Master
    What comes first, the chess players or the administrators?

Should the ACF be trying to get some of whichever comes first in the NT?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    is CG's agenda here to help re-establish an association whose membership numbers were minimal and to give it as much power (possibly?) as the NSWCA at ACF conferences etc?
    This raises an interesting issure. Can someone remind me whether the number of votes/delegates or whatever depends on the state's population or its chess population?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Perhaps thay could be a called a chess union or something.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    This raises an interesting issure. Can someone remind me whether the number of votes/delegates or whatever depends on the state's population or its chess population?
    State Population. 1 vote per million residents or part thereof. Population at the last published census.

On the matter at hand, there is also legal issues that need to be noted. The ACF is an incoporated body and members of an incoporated body are either individuals or other incorporated bodies. If the NTCA has ceased to be an incorporated body in its own right (eg through failure to lodge statutory returns) then to my mind it cannot legally hold a vote on the ACF Council. So whether the ACF wanted to, or did not want to, vote it out should not matter. Legally there is no NTCA and therefore it is not part of the ACF.

Thread Information