Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    If anyone knows why I sigfiled that, do feel free to tell me!
    no bloody idea!

GeorgeL sig:

You think politician make outrageous promises you should try talking to a priest sometime.
    could be said of chess administrators too

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Part of Garvin's current sig:

I have never in my life played the French Defence, which is the dullest of all openings. (Wilhelm Steinitz)
    That's hilarious! Where did you find that? Confirms the common view that he was just a little bit dogmatic, though given the rather boring state of French theory in his time, no great surprise there.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I changed my sig. line today...
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I changed my sig. line today...
    too true! i like it.......even opiates!

Howard Duggan's new sig:

I was wrong. Chess isn't the greatest waste of human intelligence. *******s is!
    If I was able to pay out hcd's, this would get about 200 hcd's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Part of Garvin's current sig:

That's hilarious! Where did you find that? Confirms the common view that he was just a little bit dogmatic, though given the rather boring state of French theory in his time, no great surprise there.
    Also, depending on exactly when Steinitz said it, there probably weren't that many other openings kicking around. It would have been mostly e4 e5. Hardly any 1.d4, hardly any sicilians, etc. Mostly Evans gambits, Kings Gambits, Vienna's, Piozanni's, Max Lange attacks etc. No doubt any french except the Winawer poisoned pawn looks boring in comparison.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intelligence." Dr. Samual Johnson

"In order that all men might be taught to speak truth, it is necessary that all likewise should learn to hear it." Dr. Samual Johnson
    Is your new hero really unable to spell his own name, or is this an example of your *******s site's inability to get a simple thing like spelling of a name correct?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Is your new hero really unable to spell his own name, or is this an example of your *******s site's inability to get a simple thing like spelling of a name correct?
    wasnt from *******s! ,seems alternative spelling see 'samual johnson 'museum heading on http://www.bclib.org/johnson_dictionary/index.html , along with this misspelling rife when googled, but ultimately you are indeed correct........and will fix it. Thankyou Boris, but please apologise to *******s!

Quote Originally Posted by =Elevatorescapee
    "Chess in particular had always annoyed him. ... if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks round, the whole board could’ve been a republic in a dozen moves." (From Terry Pratchett's Discworld).
    I remember reading that recently. Is it from "Thud!"?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Red face Gunner's Sausage

I see that Gunner's latest avatar is a sausage which he explains is a Hungarian sausage.

Reminds me of the guy who taught me to play chess.

His name was Steve (well, Istvan originally) Kaiser and he spent the war years in his native Hungary. I don't know why he wasn't conscripted -- he was a forestry ranger and the job may have been protected for some reason.

Anyway Steve had an enormous beak of a nose and was always being mistaken for a Jew, which was pretty dangerous away back then. He said that he often had to pull out his Hungarian sausage and show that he wasn't circumcised.

Of course, he didn't call it a Hungarian sausage. He called it his "passport"...
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    On my other forum, where almost every poster is a were-troll, I currently have:

One in eight Australians has brain damage caused by alcohol. The other seven were born stupid.
    Discuss.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    "I wasn't meant to SMOKE. Smoking is not a natural thing. Ingesting deadly chemicals to satisfy a never-ending cycle of withdrawal and replenishing of nicotine supplies is NOT the way I was meant to live." ~ Some affirmation/ motivation text on one of the lamo give-it-up boards that I found/ find useful
    Howard, I wish you every success with quitting.

I do have a couple of comments on the motivation thing

Firstly there is an appeal to natural order which I find common and nonsensical. Not everything natural is good for you, not everything artificial is bad for you. People seem to think otherwise and people who sell "natural remedies" seem to make a killing of this common misconception, but there you go. In fact as far as argument by appeal to natural order, I think a convincing argument could be made in favour of smoking. It is one of the more organic products going around. Of course such an argument would be equally nonsensical in my view.

Secondly, there is the phase "the way I was meant to live". I would interpret this as personification of natural selection and I guess yes, humans have not been selected by an ability to smoke. However, smoking does appeal to various chemistries in the human body so in some sense we were "meant" to smoke. Of course, religious persuasions may change your view on this. Anyway, smoking does seem to make us all that much less fit to pass on our genes to the next generation so in my view it would be difficult to say that we were "not meant to smoke", unfortunately.

However, I would avoid using words like "meant" in such a way as I don't see much value in the personification and some readers might infer a meaning to life which is not apparent.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Eeer thanks Barry! Have you met Aaron Guthrie?

Seriously, I know you genuinely wish me well, so no issues there. As for the clinical destruction of the motivational text, I cannot disagree. I think that's the beauty of motivational texts though - they connect, attach and succeed in exacting an outcome (variously by appealing to emotion, vanity and others) long before the intellect has kicked in. In fact I think that's how Kevin Rudd won the last last election!
    Last edited by Basil; 16-02-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Eeer thanks Barry! Have you met Aaron Guthrie?
    Actually my thought on the sig was, I hope he doesn't associate the words "smoke" and "smoking" with smoking.

Thread Information