Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlin
    light travels in stright line isnt time otherwise i wouldnt get older
    Tsk Tsk Tsk. And if there was no gravity you would be infinitely fat.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Tsk Tsk Tsk. And if there was no gravity you would be infinitely fat.
    Light does travel in a straight line, as long as you are talking in a vacuum and define straight as the path traced out by a photon. The universe would be much simplier if space was perfectly Euclidian. But then again, it would not be as interesting.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Light does travel in a straight line, as long as you are talking in a vacuum and define straight as the path traced out by a photon.
    And if my aunty was as a man s(he) would be my uncle.

A boson in a gravitational field cannot be held legally responsable for its actions.

Go to bed.

Light does travel in a straight line, as long as you are talking in a vacuum and define straight as the path traced out by a photon.
    Funny that physicists are allowed to get away with such circular arguments. A straight line is a path traced by a photon in a vacuum is a straight line.
    I've finally worked out what all this relativity stuff is about. Its all about physicists absolving themselves of any responsibility for anything ... "Its all relative" they cry in unison ... and the great crowd of the unwashed masses applaud. No appealing to any independent standard of "a straight line", you can now have it as curved as you like and still call it straight. They all should go into politics and be given the portfolio of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, they'd do very well at that.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Yeah spot on, reminds me of those religious spin merchants

CC Grandmaster
    Perhaps we have to agree to disagree on this point. But to me to accept a priori that nothing which is the fruit of the human intellect could ever be right seems negative. Moreover, if we accept this, it then begs the question: how can you be sure that your 'choice' of faith is correct? Since there are a number to choose from I assume some thought process must have taken place to accept one faith and reject most (if not all) others.
    Barry. Of course the point of view I put forward is negative, I wasn't denying it was negative, just saying it was a point for discussion, not something I believe.
    Scott

Account Permanently Banned

Reading at the moemnt? A dog's breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Perhaps ... but starter's signature is in the negative ... not quite the same observation.
    Hey Frosty

I just noticed your new signature line. (Visit my website: www.frostbyte.com.au).

It seems to say total ON_LINE = 0....but, but, but, I am on-line right now?

Doesn't mention that you and I are having lunch on Monday...now I thought that would rate as news.

And the site loaded slowly through my dial-up...but not as slowly as that dog CV site.

The weather bit is very Melbourne-ish; does the feed come from somewhere?

Finally, thanks for putting Kaitlin in her place; I have had her first post translated for me.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    I just noticed your new signature line. (Visit my website: www.frostbyte.com.au).
    It seems to say total ON_LINE = 0....but, but, but, I am on-line right now?
    Doesn't mention that you and I are having lunch on Monday...now I thought that would rate as news.
    And the site loaded slowly through my dial-up...but not as slowly as that dog CV site.
    The weather bit is very Melbourne-ish; does the feed come from somewhere?
    Finally, thanks for putting Kaitlin in her place; I have had her first post translated for me.
    Hiya starter,

Yes, the "users online" component needs a bit of work. I might have to remove it until I can work out what's wrong. Slow loading? Was that just for the initial page, or every time you loaded it? Sometimes the content management system (DotNetNuke) takes a few seconds to wind itself up.

The weather bit comes from WEATHER.COM I believe. There is a "module" for DotNetNuke that knows how to take an XML data feed from their site. Pretty groovy!

Re: lunch ... you're right ... I should put up a Calendar module and note chess-related important events such as lunch at Yummy King restaurant with one of Melbourne's leading chess administrators! Looking forward to catching up with you. If my missus is in a good mood I might bring her along too (we work together, but generally don't lunch together as we don't bring our marriage to work with us!).
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

From the SHOUTBOX

Rincewind:

AC, maybe you should change your handle to "regurgatator"
    Not sure where you are going with this Baz?

Some of us have to keep repeating our signature line because the rest of the populus is slow to be convinced of the wisdom of the thought. Personally, I have had minimal success with the beauties >

Play Fischer_Random and enjoy the WHOLE game.

If you can't measure it,
    you can't improve it.

From what I see, a/c is in the same camp as mac.

Perhaps it is a sincerity thing rather than the words or repetition?

Good morning btw.

starter

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    The question I want to know Starter,is why did you change your signature? Are you just trying to promote random chess tournaments at Boxhill or have you become self concious about your measuring fetish?

Not sure where you are going with this Baz?
    Both my suggestions regurgitator and 'gurge overkill were references to band names. Just a joke, Joyce.

Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    The question I want to know Starter,is why did you change your signature? Are you just trying to promote random chess tournaments at Boxhill or have you become self concious about your measuring fetish?
    Actually 442 both are still appearing in the signature line. I often have two or even more, and I rotate them. One is in white font; I thought you had been lurking so long (before the post-flood) that you would be aware of this nuance.

starter

ps The hint was in the plural 'beauties in the previous post...and the displaced emoticon.
    Last edited by ursogr8; 19-10-2005 at 11:32 AM.

Both my suggestions regurgitator and 'gurge overkill were references to band names. Just a joke, Joyce.
    Joyce is my mothers first name by the way, and the second name of my first born.

None of this helped me with your joke obviously.

All these bands/groups/acts you blokes keep reporting to be listening to.......are any of them Australian? Can you do a metric on the thread at some stage (you know....% US %UK %Aus.)?

starter

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Starter,sometimes there was so many "animals" on the ark before the"flood" that I couldnt remember all their shapes and sizes,might to have ask Noah.

All these bands/groups/acts you blokes keep reporting to be listening to.......are any of them Australian? Can you do a metric on the thread at some stage (you know....% US %UK %Aus.)?
    Regurgitator is more than just an Australian band. They spent some time locked up in a perspex cube in Federation Square. Did it make news down there?

Thread Information