Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar

Picking at the Stitches... of people's signature sayings

If you can't measure it,
    you can't improve it.

starter 2005

Mr Happyiness is cause he cant get any happier
    Mr Time is cause he can get ..... ...* ....... imporved

*. I read ..no it was on tv, that if you hold your breath you can think clearer.. like people who get a fright hold their breath... prob then your brain thinks its going to die so it has to think of sumtn good to tell the body to do .. I havent tried it in chess yet.

premove......
    if Happyness is measured by comparision... what is Time compaired too

premove....
    if Time is measured by compareing it to like the sun going across the sky and the planets going around does that mean I wont live forever cause the sun will exploed and kill all the planets

premove...
    if Time is measured by light zooming out from the sun does Time exist in a dark room.... who are you ...... where do we come from
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Well I am certainly not going to hold my breath in a dark room being unable to see my watch to find out!

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlin
    If you can't measure it,
    you can't improve it.

starter 2005

*. I read ..no it was on tv, that if you hold your breath you can think clearer.. like people who get a fright hold their breath... prob then your brain thinks its going to die so it has to think of sumtn good to tell the body to do .. I havent tried it in chess yet.

premove......

premove....
    if Time is measured by compareing it to like the sun going across the sky and the planets going around does that mean I wont live forever cause the sun will exploed and kill all the planets

premove...
    if Time is measured by light zooming out from the sun does Time exist in a dark room.... who are you ...... where do we come from
    hi Missy Caketin,
    I suspect I have just lost some mickey, but cannot be sure, because ....well I can't even describe because.... .

If 'e' could translate this intergenerational jibe at me then a response is assured.

regards
    starter

If you can't measure it,
    you can't improve it.

starter 2005

premove......

premove....

premove...
    Kaitlin,

stop getting wasted on cruisers in the middle of the day!!!

eclectic

Kaitlin, wait till Rincewind and Bethasr come back, they have degrees in psychology and philosophy - they will answer all your existentialist questions.

These other dudes don't share your brilliant intellect.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Kaitlin, wait till Rincewind and Bethasr come back, they have degrees in psychology and philosophy - they will answer all your existentialist questions.

These other dudes don't share your brilliant intellect.
    Belthasar does. My majors were in Computer Science and Mathematics. I did do some Philosophy but nothing like a major study. (Approx 1/6 of my bachelor degree). I applied to also do some Psychology but was rejected as an unpromising student. (from the Psych department's pov as I was already through most of my degree and was not intending to make it a major area of study).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I did a major in psych
    and a minor in sociology

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    You can measure time.... but can you improve it
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

You can measure time.... but can you improve it
    Perhaps ... but starter's signature is in the negative ... not quite the same observation.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    If you can't measure it,
    you can't improve it.

starter 2005

premove......

premove....

premove...
    Like, seriously, you are a fruit loop.

Scott,

Some suggested corrections for spelling...

The sum of all human thinking is flawed. A life based purely on human thinking is fatally flawed, a tragedy, the slowest form of suicide.

Regarding your logic.

I accept that the SUM of all human thinking is flawed. However it does not follow that a life based purely on human thinking is flawed. What would follow is that a life based purely on the SUM OF ALL human thinking is fatally flawed. This is a basic syllogistic error. It even has a name I believe but it escapes me for now. Theoretically at least it would be possible to base one's life on just the unflawed parts of human thinking. In fact, that is the goal of the scientific method. It provides a way of separating the flawed from the unflawed which works. Of course just latching onto a book and saying it is right and anything which disagrees with it is wrong takes less effort. But ultimately I find that solution less satisfying and it didn't put man on the moon or probes on the surfaces of other planets, develop the field of immunology or contribute in the fight aganist cancer, etc.

As for you're assertation that it is the slowest form of suicide. Suicide is defines as intentionally killing oneself. When you start discussing slow forms you are getting into the area of the impact of lifestyle 'choices' on life expectancy. For example, smoking, drinking, other recreational drug use, high caloric diet, lack of exercise, etc, could all be described as slow forms of suicide on some level. Now all the research into these issues and the correlation with life-expectancy is the result of human thought. So it would seem that it is ignoring human thinking is really the slowest form of suicide.

Have a nice day.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Scott,

Some suggested corrections for spelling...

The sum of all human thinking is flawed. A life based purely on human thinking is fatally flawed, a tragedy, the slowest form of suicide.

Regarding your logic.

I accept that the SUM of all human thinking is flawed. However it does not follow that a life based purely on human thinking is flawed. What would follow is that a life based purely on the SUM OF ALL human thinking is fatally flawed. This is a basic syllogistic error. It even has a name I believe but it escapes me for now. Theoretically at least it would be possible to base one's life on just the unflawed parts of human thinking. In fact, that is the goal of the scientific method. It provides a way of separating the flawed from the unflawed which works. Of course just latching onto a book and saying it is right and anything which disagrees with it is wrong takes less effort. But ultimately I find that solution less satisfying and it didn't put man on the moon or probes on the surfaces of other planets, develop the field of immunology or contribute in the fight aganist cancer, etc.

As for you're assertation that it is the slowest form of suicide. Suicide is defines as intentionally killing oneself. When you start discussing slow forms you are getting into the area of the impact of lifestyle 'choices' on life expectancy. For example, smoking, drinking, other recreational drug use, high caloric diet, lack of exercise, etc, could all be described as slow forms of suicide on some level. Now all the research into these issues and the correlation with life-expectancy is the result of human thought. So it would seem that it is ignoring human thinking is really the slowest form of suicide.

Have a nice day.
    I know about the spelling errors, just can't be bothered changing the them. I am intending to change my signature, but to what I am not sure. As far as the logic of my statement, well I agree it does not follow logically, but I knew that when I chose it so that fact does not really bother me. Think of it as two statements. One not a conclusion on the other, but another related thought, at least in my mind.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    As far as the logic of my statement, well I agree it does not follow logically, but I knew that when I chose it so that fact does not really bother me. Think of it as two statements. One not a conclusion on the other, but another related thought, at least in my mind.
    Perhaps you need to consider how the average reader would interpret your writing. Maybe I am atypical, but I certain got the impression you were using the first statement as justification for the second. Perhaps I went too far in thinking you were trying to portray it as deductive reasoning. But it certainly seemed to have that form to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    I am intending to change my signature, but to what I am not sure.

How about, "so long as you wake up livin' and breathin', then that's all that matters"?

Don't think too much. Thinking's no good for you.

AR

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    How about, "so long as you wake up livin' and breathin', then that's all that matters"?

Don't think too much. Thinking's no good for you.

AR
    I heard this one on an Anthony Robbins tape: 'Every day above ground is a great day'

Thread Information