Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 36.84%
  • No, its a waste of money

12 63.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best BB post prizes

Lets see who believes there should be prizes.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 08-02-2004 at 09:00 PM.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    waste

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Lets see who believes there should be prizes.
    Get a life!

Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    Get a life!
    Is that the best you can do david.

A number of people have suggested that the BB prizes are a waste of money.
    I'm simply giving them an opportunity to express that view via a poll.

Is that the best you can do david.

A number of people have suggested that the BB prizes are a waste of money.
    I'm simply giving them an opportunity to express that view via a poll.
    Bill, if it was just that, it'd be ok; but after the way you've carried on with CL its really turned the whole thing into a debacle. Money no, a kick up the pants, yes! Trouble is, this is a window on the ACF and it's not inspiring. Either put the whole process out of it's misery or hold a moratorium until people have regained their senses.

Bill, if it was just that, it'd be ok; but after the way you've carried on with CL its really turned the whole thing into a debacle. Money no, a kick up the pants, yes! Trouble is, this is a window on the ACF and it's not inspiring. Either put the whole process out of it's misery or hold a moratorium until people have regained their senses.
    I disagree, but I guess you figured I would say that.
    What turned this into a debacle was CL when he nominated his NECG post and then followed that up with another 4 nominations of his own posts.
    As for a non inspiring window on the ACF I think its more a window on how a goose can end up laying an egg.

CC Candidate Master
    Just to put the matter in perspective, all that's been mentioned is "a very small prize". It's more a matter of kudos than cash.
    cheers - paulb

As for a non inspiring window on the ACF I think its more a window on how a goose can end up laying an egg.
    Indded, its a case of a goose laying a GOLDEN egg!!!

The golden egg (great idea) of a prize for the best BB post of 2003.

I disagree, but I guess you figured I would say that.
    What turned this into a debacle was CL when he nominated his NECG post and then followed that up with another 4 nominations of his own posts.
    I know CL's a goose, we all know, but he's a nice goose. It takes 2 to tango and you're a very good dancer.

Okay here goes

I do not think someone should vote for themselves, however I do not think they should be banned from doing that either, it should be a personal choice, I think restricting them would be a little undemocratic. Having said that people are not going to vote for a post they do not believe is a good post, and others (such as myself), are not interested in voting at all. I have no problem with these small prizes, and who knows occassionally there might well be some interesting conversations take place in between the fighting.
    Last edited by WBA; 08-02-2004 at 10:59 PM.

I know CL's a goose, we all know, but he's a nice goose. It takes 2 to tango and you're a very good dancer.
    Actually I'm more the soccer player than a dancer and was enjoying using my opponent as the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA
    Okay here goes

I do not think someone shoudl vote for themselves, however I do not think they should be banned from doing that either, it should be a personal choice, I thinkretricting them would be a little undemocratic. Having said that people are not going to vote for a post they do not believe is a good post, and others (such as myself), are not interested in voting at all. I have no problem with these small prizes, and who knows occassionally there might well be some interesting conversations take place in between the fighting.
    The point was that at worst a person could perhaps nominate one of their own posts.
    CL effectively nominated 5 of his own(4 plus the deleted NECG post).

HI Bill

I realise this, but I do question the harm that can come from self nominations, I mean perhaps there should be a limit of 1 or 2 posts regardless of whether they are your own or someone elses, but I would try and deal with that side of things rather than self-nomination. As said, I would suspect that a poster nomniating themselves is likely to fail to attract the votes anyway.

Rgds

WBA

Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    Just to put the matter in perspective, all that's been mentioned is "a very small prize". It's more a matter of kudos than cash.
    Exactly! BTW, Paul, what is the prize? Trying to "read between the lines" I would imagine it would be somewhere between $50 to $100?

I can't believe the absurd reactions of people on the prize money. Lets assume for arguments sake that the prize is $100 for best BB prize of 2003 (BTW, as has been agreed by virtually everyone on this BB, this money is to be re-invested into Australian Chess as per my suggestion).

I estimate that $100 would be about 0.1% of the ACF's yearly expenses. Yet on this BB over the last 12 months there has been more fuss made about how this 0.1% is to be spent than about the other 99.9%!!! Talk about penny wise and pound foolish! Is it any wonder that chess in Australia has problems when people focus on minutae instead of important things?

I must say I am disappointed with Bill's behaviour on this topic. I think it is undignified that the leader (NSWCA President) of NSW Chess behaves like a bully boy on this BB.
    Last edited by Paul S; 08-02-2004 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    I must say I am disappointed with Bill's behaviour on this topic. I think it is undignified that the leader (NSWCA President) of NSW Chess behaves like a bully boy on this BB.
    Lets get a few things straight here Paul.
    The NSWCA has taken no discussion or vote on the ACF providing BB prizes.
    My belief there should be no BB prizes is as an individual not as NSWCA President. I have not posted in any capacity on this topic on behalf of the NSWCA nor in my capacity as NSW President.
    I'm also of the opinion that CL's behaviour in self nominating at least 4 of his own posts was farcical and was counter productive to the whole idea of a best BB prize.

Thread Information