CC Rookie

Need Chess Self Improvement Tips

I am unsatisfied with my Chess skills. I am a seasoned beginner that has been playing off and on for about 10 years. I understand basic to medium strategy and concepts. I am looking for ways to improve my overall game. Any help with any part of my game would be wonderful. I currently play online the most. I don't have any friends who play. I play against other people online as well as against WinBoard. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Reading books would be the most efficient way.

For strategy in particular, check out "How to reassess your chess" by Jeremy Silman and also "My System" by Aaron Nimzowitsch. "Pawn Power in Chess" is also good, though the one I have is not in Algebraic notation.

To improve middle game, read 1001 Brilliant ways to checkmate and 1001 Brilliant Sacs and Combos, both by Fred Reinfeld. Pretty much get any tactics solving book. To get a taste of both 1001 books, look at http://www.chesskit.com/training/tactics/

Openings I feel is done best on chessbase, with opening encyclopaedia.

Endgame, the best is probably Domination in Endgame studies. Its tedious to study this book, though well worth the effort.

There are heaps and heaps of other books, though these books that I have listed would be a good way to get started.

Go through the training material on Chess Kit, to see what you know and what you dont. When you feel confident after a training session, try and take up the various tests in the training section.

Try and join a club if you can. If you can afford it and you have the time, consider getting a chess coach. A chess coach is good to identify weak points in your play. No matter how good your coach is, you still have to put in the hard yakka to get anywhere.

Thread Information