Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

2005 WA State Championship

34 players are competing in this 9 round swiss held on Sunday afternoons. Despite the large prize fund the entries are down slightly on last year (possibly the high entry fee is a factor). WA's top 2 rated players: Tristan Boyd & Jay Lakner are amongst the stronger players not competing.

After 4 rounds, many times State Champion Haydn Barber is equal first on 3.5 with juniors Ganesh Viswanath (15) and Yita Choong (12). Ganesh and Yita have both had fine results including wins with black over Tim Hare (2097) and David Ellis (1981) respectively.

Matt Garcia & Dave O'Shaughnessy are doing a great job getting all the games on the web (for playing over or downloading) within a couple of days after each round finishes. Mike McGregor & Joe Klimzcak ensure the results and draw are up shortly after each round finishes.

CC Candidate Master
    lol- just saw the draw. Cant wait to see the Board 1 game when its been played (obviously), and how the Board 10 turns out. I am going for Ryan .
    Good luck with your match too, rob.
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Candidate Master
    In round 5 Yita knocked off another high rated player - the fast improving John Fedec (1829) whilst Haydn defeated Ganesh Viswanath.

12 year old Yita is rated 21st out of the 34 players but now faces Haydn with whom he shares the lead on 4.5, strangely there are no players on 4. So far Haydn has yet to play anyone over 1900.

1 Choong, Yita 1633 [4.5] : Barber, Haydn J 2143 [4.5]
    2 Hare, Tim 2097 [3.5] : Leonhardt, Wolfgang 1916 [3.5]
    3 Kurniawan, Stephanus 1800 [3.5] : Maris, Robert 1937 [3.5]
    4 Viswanath, Ganesh 1732 [3.5] : Kueh, Michael 1858 [3.5]
    5 Dunlop, Gordon 1823 [3.5] : Ellis, David 1981 [3]

CC Candidate Master
    In round 6 another upset by Yita Choong (1633) this time he beat Haydn Barber (2143) to go a point clear with 3 rounds to go
    Wolfgang's win over Tim Hare puts him on top board in a match with a big age gap (Wolfgang is 76, Yita is 12).
    The round 7 draw (top boards):

No Name Loc Total Result Name Loc Total
    1 Leonhardt, Wolfgang 1916 [4.5] : Choong, Yita 1633 [5.5]
    2 Barber, Haydn J 2143 [4.5] : Maris, Robert 1937 [4.5]
    3 Kueh, Michael 1858 [4.5] : Johnstone, Ray 1702 [4]
    4 Ellis, David 1981 [4] : Holland, Dennis 1588 [4]
    5 Fedec, John 1829 [4] : Hare, Tim 2097 [3.5]

CC Candidate Master
    Hello rob,

good job with the game - was it hard? I was sick (apparently) yesterday, and wasnt allowed to go. All cos 1.3 degrees over . Either way, could you post your game here so I can look through it, and possibly you saw who am I to play? Thanks in advance rob.
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Careth
    Hello rob,

good job with the game - was it hard? I was sick (apparently) yesterday, and wasnt allowed to go. All cos 1.3 degrees over . Either way, could you post your game here so I can look through it, and possibly you saw who am I to play? Thanks in advance rob.
    I should have lost and had a difficult struggle. You were due to play Sophie in round 6, shame you missed out. In round 7 next Sunday you are due to play Ryan (you have white).

CC Candidate Master
    LOL- it will be fun. In the last couple of Lightning matches with him, he usually grinds me in the middle game. Thanks rob- and I am as well annoyed with my game yesterday- mums "executive decision". Headaches are only a small thing.

P.S, did your opponent play 1. e4 c5/e5(not sure of your move) 2. d4? he has been playing it to some extent in previous matches, with different outcomes.
    Thanks for the enlightenment.
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Candidate Master
    P.S, did your opponent play 1. e4 c5/e5(not sure of your move) 2. d4? he has been playing it to some extent in previous matches, with different outcomes.
    Thanks for the enlightenment.
    I was expecting 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cd 3.c3 Nf6 (converting the Morra Gambit into an Alapin) but he went for a main line Sicilian. I wasn't thinking very well for a while and may not have been thinking at all for a bit (I was between 45 & 58 mins behind on the clock & looked like losing 2 pawns), but

CC Candidate Master
    Well eitherway you must be happy with the outcome- even more so with the problems you told me in that last post. It must have been a good game though, for that kind of hindering to not stop you, or did he lay off the pressure?
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Candidate Master
    Well eitherway you must be happy with the outcome- even more so with the problems you told me in that last post. It must have been a good game though, for that kind of hindering to not stop you, or did he lay off the pressure?
    I trapped his Bishop but he had 2 pawns compensation & as they were connected passed pawns it was pretty unclear. I had to use plenty of determination & positive anticipation to make progress and avoid any more glaring errors. Fortunately my opponent wasnít so careful and didnít seem to use his time all that wisely.

yep I was very happy with the result and my effort, but I know that I have to play at a far better standard in the early middlegame next round else Haydn (with white) is going to have an easy win.

CC Candidate Master
    Hmm... I think Mr. Barber would have not done as much preparation for Yita, although enough to give him knowledge of his style. After that round, he cannot afford another loss/draw or another player will join his score. With that said, he will most likely have done more preparation just because it is you and he would expect more fight, plus if he loses, chances are he is out of contention, though may be lucky and somehow come back. Either way, it will be a pretty good game.
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Grandmaster
    It is worth mentioning that Leonhardt is also an 8 time former state champion, from 1954 to 1972. Amazing to see him back playing at the top end of the Championships. Wouldn't it be something if he won!

Great result for Yita. Haydn Barber is the measuring stick for WA players, and is always a valuable scalp.

Hey Rob, what has happened to the closed state championship? 2004 was an Open Champs, so isn't this year due to be a closed? Was the standard of entries not high enough?

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    In round 6 another upset by Yita Choong (1633) this time he beat Haydn Barber (2143) to go a point clear with 3 rounds to go
    Wolfgang's win over Tim Hare puts him on top board in a match with a big age gap (Wolfgang is 76, Yita is 12).
    The round 7 draw (top boards):

No Name Loc Total Result Name Loc Total
    1 Leonhardt, Wolfgang 1916 [4.5] : Choong, Yita 1633 [5.5]
    2 Barber, Haydn J 2143 [4.5] : Maris, Robert 1937 [4.5]
    3 Kueh, Michael 1858 [4.5] : Johnstone, Ray 1702 [4]
    4 Ellis, David 1981 [4] : Holland, Dennis 1588 [4]
    5 Fedec, John 1829 [4] : Hare, Tim 2097 [3.5]

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Hey Rob, what has happened to the closed state championship? 2004 was an Open Champs, so isn't this year due to be a closed? Was the standard of entries not high enough?
    We haven't had a closed for quite some time. The 2004 state ch was the best for a while 40 players, including a much stronger field than previously. This was mostly due to moving away from the format of Wed, Sat, Sun with adjournments to one game per week (Sunday afternoons) with time increments rather than adjournments.

The 2005 state ch is not as strong and had 35 entries. The advertised prizes is substancial but I consider that the entry fee (now up to $70) would have deterred some.

For 2006 I will be advocating a smaller prize fund and a $50 entry fee.

CC Candidate Master
    To pax- Good thing a person outside of WA knows our history- good job! To anyone who knows, has a junior (at the time) ever got in the Open division prizes in WA? Because if Yita wins, and hes the only Junior to have done so, I cant wait till he turns 18! At the rate he is improving, It is only a matter of time until he exceeds and 1900! rating if he keeps playing this well. I would like to see how he compares to Tristan Boyd though. It would be an interesting match.
    Ultimate Patzer!

CC Grandmaster
    I may be outside of WA, but I am a sandgroper through and through!

I'm not sure who the youngest Champion was, but it may have been Haydn Barber who was 20 when he first won in 1970. I suspect he may know if anyone else was younger. Dwyer would have been 21 or 22 in 1999.

As for minor placings, it's much more difficult to know. I am certain that Juniors have placed before, but I'm pretty sure that noone as young as Yita has.

To pax- Good thing a person outside of WA knows our history- good job! To anyone who knows, has a junior (at the time) ever got in the Open division prizes in WA? Because if Yita wins, and hes the only Junior to have done so, I cant wait till he turns 18! At the rate he is improving, It is only a matter of time until he exceeds and 1900! rating if he keeps playing this well. I would like to see how he compares to Tristan Boyd though. It would be an interesting match.

Thread Information