Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

Premier Carr Resigns...

I just read that after 10 years at the top Premier Bob Carr has resigned. This came as a huge suprise for me, though he is resigning at 'the top' he has nothing else to prove, though the state could do with his leadership. Sadly he ruled out going into federal politics. What do people think??
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberace
    I just read that after 10 years at the top Premier Bob Carr has resigned. This came as a huge suprise for me, though he is resigning at 'the top' he has nothing else to prove, though the state could do with his leadership. Sadly he ruled out going into federal politics. What do people think??
    Sounds like you are a Carr supporter in which case you don't really want to hear what I think.

But good luck to Bob with whatever he has planned from here.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

[snip] woulda lost the next elections anyway - the bastard. He's just stuffed up everything in this bloody state.

AR
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 28-07-2005 at 01:11 AM.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    hopefully the state government can concentrate more on the trains than the
    Car(r)s!
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Now I will tell what Carr's legacies are .

Yep. All that.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Matt you've missed out turning cityrail into s**ttyrail!
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

I think Carr resigning after topping Wran's record by a small margin just reduces the small regard I already held Carr in. It's not so much that he is a worse premier than Wran (although that is patently true); it's just that politics have changed so much since Wran retired. Now it is all about media management and double-guessing popular opinion. That's why will have no more Wrans, Langs, or federally Whitlams, Menzies, etc, etc. We're stuck with a choice between the political equivalents of game show hosts when really we need some of the contestants.

However, regarding Cityrail, I don't believe you can lay the blame entirely at Carr's door. Sure I don't think he has improved things at all but it was already pretty shabby when he got it. Privatise and corporatise were the flavours of the decade and there you have it. I commuted daily on the South Coast line under the Greiner and Fahey governments and things were certainly no bed of roses back then either.

CC International Master
    He has released land back to the public around the harbour, created more state forests, education: higher literacy rates and computers in every school, Olympics,

Not least of all represented NSW with class dignity and intelligence, keeped a cool head when the public distrubances in Redfern and Lakemba were on, Sound economy

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    Matt you've missed out turning cityrail into s**ttyrail!
    The trains have been hopelss before Wran was in, there will never be enough money to have great public transport in NSW.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    That f**kwit woulda lost the next elections anyway - the bastard. He's just stuffed up everything in this bloody state.

AR
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out then. Don't forget to send a postcard from neverland, where its magical and nobody ever grows up

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bergil
    He has released land back to the public around the harbour, created more state forests, education: higher literacy rates and computers in every school, Olympics,

Not least of all represented NSW with class dignity and intelligence, keeped a cool head when the public distrubances in Redfern and Lakemba were on, Sound economy
    Land around harbour was always "ours".

More tate forests but fewer camping areas.

Education: dumbed down HSC, fewer text books, leaking roofs, unexpellability, junk computers + no IT staff.

Olympic sized white elephant sports complex.

The Block (Redfern).

Some of the nation's highest unemployment levels in New Castle and Wollongong.

Schitzos in the streets.

Identified "at risk" kids dead.

Corrupt pigs from top to bottom.

Massive court delays.

Water restrictions.

Princes Highway: the nation's road of death.

Don't talk to me about Carr being anything other than a human turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    We're stuck with a choice between the political equivalents of game show hosts when really we need some of the contestants.
    Not sure I agree with that. It may be true in NSW ... but in VIC we've had Jeff Kennett in recent memory. It couldn't be said that he shirked an issue. Federally, John Howard is occasionally hard-headed. Who can forget the GST. We all thought he was mad running a campaign based on a new tax.

But I don't know Carr, other than that he's a survivor. I would imagine that his biography will one day make interesting reading. You don't survive in politics for that many years without accumulating a lot of interesting stuff (ditto for Howard). I've just finished reading bios for Sen. Graham Richardson and Jeff Kennett. Both exceeding interesting as a reflection of those times.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Not sure I agree with that. It may be true in NSW ... but in VIC we've had Jeff Kennett in recent memory. It couldn't be said that he shirked an issue. Federally, John Howard is occasionally hard-headed. Who can forget the GST. We all thought he was mad running a campaign based on a new tax.
    I class Kennett as the southern equivalent of Joh - popular dictator who cleverly feigned stupidity.

Howard only ran the GST once labour was in such disarray they were unable to effectively counter it. He prettied it up and sold it competently but there was no meaningful resistence, the voters had no choice.

The only really hard stance Howard has taken was on guns and that was only in the wake of the Port Arthur shooting so again he was following, not leading. Immigrant detention is another but that has the support of a lot of middle Australia. It's just the bleeding-heart liberals with high-school level of education or better who oppose that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    But I don't know Carr, other than that he's a survivor. I would imagine that his biography will one day make interesting reading. You don't survive in politics for that many years without accumulating a lot of interesting stuff (ditto for Howard). I've just finished reading bios for Sen. Graham Richardson and Jeff Kennett. Both exceeding interesting as a reflection of those times.
    True but really, get a good enough ghost writer and anyone's memoirs would make good reading - even yours or mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Immigrant detention is another but that has the support of a lot of middle Australia. It's just the bleeding-heart liberals with high-school level of education or better who oppose that.
    also John Howard was also following because he was seeing the rise of Pauline Hanson and so combined some of her policies with his own and re badged them. So once again he was following, not leading.

This does raise the interesting discussion of- what are politicians supposed to be?

When they follow public opinion, which they were elected by- they are criticised as not taking a stance, but when they ignore public opinion for the so called greater good, they are then criticised for ignoring the 'majority'

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    what are politicians supposed to be?
    I thought that their job is, first and foremost, to represent their constituents.

I guess that makes them followers ... and we're the leaders.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Thread Information