Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New tournament

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar

Talking Please warn them first!

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I will put up the return games later tonight.
    Thanks Garv :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ggraygray
    Regarding players having stopped playing their games, I have given a large grace period due to Australian Championships and Queenstown. Also with the pgn uploader being down, this hasnt helped.

I will start awarding forfeits etc on February 1.
    Well, that seems a little arbitrary... (and there are couple of games I am keen on completing with play). If you wish to do this, then I would feel more comfortable if you were to send a warning PM/email now to each player involved in the tournament, to let them know about the Feb 1 deadline.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Well, that seems a little arbitrary
    funny for an arbiter ; )

If you wish to do this, then I would feel more comfortable if you were to send a warning PM/email now to each player involved in the tournament, to let them know about the Feb 1 deadline.
    will do tomorrow : )

The reverse colour games are out for those who have finished their first round games.

I have moved the discussion of conditional moves to here so it doesnt potentially interrupt the Egor v Elevatorescapee game.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Why?
    A conditional move is fine in the following scenario:

You play your move and your opponent only has one legal move available, then you can just give your move, your opponents move and your next move and get on with the game.

The reason why I asked for conditional moves to not be suggested is that it assumes the opponents move when the opponents move 'may' not be obvious.

While it may seem helpful to offer a conditional move to help speed up play, there are more things to consider than just the speed of play.

As has been shown in one of the games so far, the conditional move sequence was not taken by the opponent who ended up playing a different move entirely.

I would just like to see each player make their own moves in reply to their opponents, with the exception of only one legal move available.

Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    Would it be ok to offer conditional moves in an over-the-board tournament?
    As a tournament game I'm guessing that tournament rules apply and that it'a against the rules.
    Some might consider it intimidation.
    While conditional moves are not ok in otb chess, it is also not ok in otb chess to move pieces on another board, consult opening books/cds etc. Also are you recording your moves on a scoresheet in this tournament?

Most tournament rules dont apply to cc and I have been fairly relaxed up to this point. Someone lying scoundrel ; ) even suggested I was being human : P .

I certainly dont think anyone was trying to be intimidatory or anything of the like. Was just asking that conditional moves not be offered, except in the above scenario, just so that the other player can make whatever move they want to, without the feeling of being second guessed.
    Last edited by Garvinator; 17-01-2006 at 02:27 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    I certainly dont think anyone was trying to be intimidatory or anything of the like. Was just asking that conditional moves not be offered, except in the above scenario, just so that the other player can make whatever move they want to, without the feeling of being second guessed.
    I wasn't suggesting that anyone was, I thought some people might take it that way. I Didn't mind the offering of a conditional move, but I agree with your reasons for them not to be offered.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

Quote Originally Posted by ggraygray
    While conditional moves are not ok in otb chess, it is also not ok in otb chess to move pieces on another board, consult opening books/cds etc. Also are you recording your moves on a scoresheet in this tournament?
    You fail to mention is that the offering conditional moves is not only perfectly ok in correspondence chess, but common practice!

Would it be ok to offer conditional moves in an over-the-board tournament?
    As a tournament game I'm guessing that tournament rules apply and that it'a against the rules.
    Some might consider it intimidation.
    Offering of conditional moves has been legal in correspondence chess tournaments for many years, including the Australian Correspondence Chess Championship, and alone the World Correspondence Chess Championships.

I can understand how someone who has only played "over the board chess" and has never played postal correspondence chess may object to the offering of conditional moves.

As always, up to the player as to which moves he or she wishes to play. If the player's opponent elects one or two legal moves to place a conditional response to, then it is the player's opponent who is obliged to follow that particular response, the player him/herself is not obliged to initiate that continuation.

Sometimes a player will choose to play his/her opponent's conditional move, sometimes he/she will prefer another continuation. Always, it is the player's choice.

Personally, I have always considered it an advantage of sorts to me if my opponent offered a conditional move (ie: I know for certain how my opponent is going to respond if I play this particular move... and can analyse it with a little more certainty and decide if that continuation is best for me).

Were I playing the very same games that I have during "Correspondence Matches . Chess Chat Tournament #2" via postal chess, then I would have offered the very same conditional moves that I have during these games (and probably a few more conditionals in the openings to save on postage as well!)

However, I also accept that the "correspondence chess" played via posting on an internet site is different to postal correspondence chess, and as such, may need to develop it's own set of rules.

For the remainder this tournament, I will follow the direction of the arbiter, and refrain from posting any more conditional moves.

~ EE

You fail to mention is that the offering conditional moves is not only perfectly ok in correspondence chess, but common practice!

Offering of conditional moves has been legal in correspondence chess tournaments for many years, including the Australian Correspondence Chess Championship, and alone the World Correspondence Chess Championships.

I can understand how someone who has only played "over the board chess" and has never played postal correspondence chess may object to the offering of conditional moves.

As always, up to the player as to which moves he or she wishes to play. If the player's opponent elects one or two legal moves to place a conditional response to, then it is the player's opponent who is obliged to follow that particular response, the player him/herself is not obliged to initiate that continuation.

Sometimes a player will choose to play his/her opponent's conditional move, sometimes he/she will prefer another continuation. Always, it is the player's choice.

Personally, I have always considered it an advantage of sorts to me if my opponent offered a conditional move (ie: I know for certain how my opponent is going to respond if I play this particular move... and can analyse it with a little more certainty and decide if that continuation is best for me).

Were I playing the very same games that I have during "Correspondence Matches . Chess Chat Tournament #2" via postal chess, then I would have offered the very same conditional moves that I have during these games (and probably a few more conditionals in the openings to save on postage as well!)

However, I also accept that the "correspondence chess" played via posting on an internet site is different to postal correspondence chess, and as such, may need to develop it's own set of rules.

For the remainder this tournament, I will follow the direction of the arbiter, and refrain from posting any more conditional moves.

~ EE

I am going to throw myself on the sword and say that I didnt know any of this about real correspondence chess. I have never played postal chess and so wasnt aware of it.

I had just used my best judgement in thinking what was going to be best for each party.

If there is another cc tournament in the future, maybe this can be allowed, if the players want it.

02-01-2006 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    I'm brissy bound for a week might not be able to play my games.

And not playing my games until pgn is back up.....I use it alot.
    02-01-2006 10:11 AM
    yeah thats fine. I think it applies to most of the players in the tournament too.
    14-01-2006 07:04 PM
    Regarding players having stopped playing their games, I have given a large grace period due to Australian Championships and Queenstown. Also with the pgn uploader being down, this hasnt helped.

I will start awarding forfeits etc on February 1.
    With only 6 more days to go until the Feb 1 deadline, will the PGN uploader be back up by then? (According to the site owner, the PGN uploader will take "some reprogramming.")

Will the chess nut forfeit all his currently active games if the PGN uploader hasn't been reprogrammed, and he hasn't made a move in them by then? (Or is he currently playing in Queenstown, and thus, perhaps, subject to a longer period of grace?)

Will the chess nut forfeit all his currently active games if the PGN uploader hasn't been reprogrammed, and he hasn't made a move in them by then? (Or is he currently playing in Queenstown, and thus, perhaps, subject to a longer period of grace?)
    enquiries are being made and this matter is being attended to.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut

And not playing my games until pgn is back up.....I use it alot.
    Forfeit me if you wish.....
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Well, I would personally prefer to finish playing my first round game against the chess nut, as I think it has reached an interesting stage.

the chess nut Are you sure you wouldn't wish to try using the Winboard PGN playing program as a stop gap measure if the uploader isn't reprogrammed prior to the cutoff?

Now that I have started using it, I find it much easier to use than when I first started using it... and it is definitely much easier than setting up the pieces on a board and playing through every move for each game, and (hopefully) reaching the position after my opponent's last move.

Please send me a PM if you would like some detailed instructions on how to use it (it isn't necessarily intuitive).

Cheers,

~EE

CC FIDE Master
    I'm away in the Port Stephen's area for two weeks (Jan. 30 till Feb 12). It's work, not pleasure, sadly.
    I'll try to keep up to pace with my games, but I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get online.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

Well, I would personally prefer to finish playing my first round game against the chess nut, as I think it has reached an interesting stage.

the chess nut Are you sure you wouldn't wish to try using the Winboard PGN playing program as a stop gap measure if the uploader isn't reprogrammed prior to the cutoff?

Now that I have started using it, I find it much easier to use than when I first started using it... and it is definitely much easier than setting up the pieces on a board and playing through every move for each game, and (hopefully) reaching the position after my opponent's last move.

Please send me a PM if you would like some detailed instructions on how to use it (it isn't necessarily intuitive).

Cheers,

~EE

Is there any reply to this at all?

CC Candidate Master
    Hey guys, sorry about not playing moves the past week now I've looked back. I forgot about this because of school studies. I'd still like to play, but I wont have as much time to play my moves as during the holidays. Though, by the rules placed on the games, if you wish for me to forfeit the point due to late reply, please just post here. Sorry for taking your time. Thank you everybody for the good games.
    Ultimate Patzer!

Thread Information