Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    There has been the suggestion that once the draw is 'published' that it can not be changed. I must admit that I have only had a brief look on the FIDE web page, but if such a law exists, I have not been able to find it. Although it may be convention for some tournaments in Australia, there is also the convention that the draw is 'provisional' until some designated time before the round, to allow for things such as players becoming ill overnight and allowing all players to have a game rather than having 2 people who effectively have byes for a round.
    isn't the rule below the one with official pairing, etc.
    i've always assumed this is in place most tournaments i play in.
    otherwise, we'd have riots right?! (players spending hours preparing and then find that it's changed, etc.)

F.6 A pairing officially made public shall not be changed unless it violates the absolute pairing criteria (B1 and B2).

to chip in my suggestion re the open finals,
    i think we should annul the current finals series
    and bring back the 4 teams knocked out into 1 big weekend decider!

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the method man
    isn't the rule below the one with official pairing, etc.
    i've always assumed this is in place most tournaments i play in.
    otherwise, we'd have riots right?! (players spending hours preparing and then find that it's changed, etc.)

F.6 A pairing officially made public shall not be changed unless it violates the absolute pairing criteria (B1 and B2).

to chip in my suggestion re the open finals,
    i think we should annul the current finals series
    and bring back the 4 teams knocked out into 1 big weekend decider!
    The section you quote is from the SWISS PAIRING rules ... but the grade matches is not paired according to the Swiss system ... its a round robin.

It applies in most tournaments, as most are based on the Swiss system, but this is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    The section you quote is from the SWISS PAIRING rules ... but the grade matches is not paired according to the Swiss system ... its a round robin.

It applies in most tournaments, as most are based on the Swiss system, but this is not one of them.
    It may not be one of them but his objection still holds up. i.e.,
    players spending hours preparing and then find that it's changed, etc.. which was my original point.

But as no one objected on the day maybe no one had prepared, or if they were playing their favourite colour they thought they had no need to prepare.

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

Is this really anything new?

Hello everybody,

I had understood that a published draw was only to be changed if it violated the Fide laws, but given that they in the main deal with Swiss tournaments, perhaps even in specific, but it does seem to be a poor degree of forethought displayed in the changes however it was decided.

I do know that other major events in the South here have had changes of draw as shortly as 5 minutes before that round was to commence, owing to a protest about 2 colours in a row amongst other issues.

That wass an extreme case of incredibly short notice, but in this given discussion, I had thought that I had read earlier that one of the reasons for the changes was to pair the top two teams together in the final round of the finals series to make it "More" exciting...how is it perceived that this will make it more exciting, and for who?

Even if such a change was to make for a potential spectator's enjoyment ( as this seems to be somewhat the main of the arguement ) how is that the players are to become more excited by being thrown off balance midway through.

I've read that the appeal was turned down, however not the grounds for that, and have still in my mind yet to see a good reason as to why the changes were even considered? NB the reason as provided at the current moment is not to my mind a good one...but that is a personal preference.

Would be delighted to hear from either a) the party that decided to change the draw or b) those who turned down the appeal?

take care and God Bless, Macavity

CC International Master
    What a storm in a tea cup, SAC should withdraw and go sulk in a corner and let the other play in peace.

They huff and puff about withdrawing but are really stalling to hear the result of the game between STGeorge vs Canterbury, if Saints win they withdraw, if Canterbury wins they stay in.

Just wait and see, SAC will either say they are poor victims or Winners over adversity. Go sell that crap to the fox network, we don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by macavity
    take care and God Bless, Macavity
    Hey Mac, mate. You seem to have a lot to say. What do you have to say about this little brewing controversy in Mexico over poaching?

See my blog.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by bergil
    What a storm in a tea cup...
    Mate, how long have you been in chess circles?

Now listen, can I talk to you privately about some goings on at the Fairfield chess? PMs then?

AR

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar

Diplomacy rules!

What a storm in a tea cup, SAC should withdraw and go sulk in a corner and let the other play in peace.

They huff and puff about withdrawing but are really stalling to hear the result of the game between STGeorge vs Canterbury, if Saints win they withdraw, if Canterbury wins they stay in.

Just wait and see, SAC will either say they are poor victims or Winners over adversity. Go sell that crap to the fox network, we don't need it.
    Bergil. You trying to get an invite to join SAC as your new club, mate?

CC Candidate Master
    Sydney Chess Academy has withdrawn from the Grade Matches. Today our request for our appeal to be heard be an independent committee was rejected be the NSWCA council. Since we find the changes made to the draw, and the way it was done, unacceptable, we no longer want to be part of this competition.

CC Candidate Master
    Here is the response to our appeal we received from the NSWCA today:

Dear Laura,

We refer to your email dated 18 July 2005 and advise that the position has not changed and your request for an appeals committee has been rejected. The appeal had been rejected by Council and their view is that appeals should not be ongoing because of unfavourable decisions. The Grade Match booklet is clear that the rules regarding competition are the responsibility of the NSWCA Council.

Accordingly, the games scheduled for tonight will proceed.

We might add that whilst Peter Cassettari is the Grade Match Arbiter and Bill Gletsos is President, all emails are circulated to all Council members, so that they are informed and can arrive at independent decisions on matters with no undue influence of any other Council Member.

We are sorry that you may stand by your decision to withdraw from the competition, but the Council has made its considered fair and reasonable decision taking all matters into account. A withdrawal from the competition would be an unauthorised withdrawal and may be subject to disciplinary action by the Council. Should you decide to stay in the competition, we wish you best of luck for the remaining games.

Yours sincerely,
    NSW Chess Association Inc.

Tom Accola
    Secretary
    Last edited by Andrew Bird; 20-07-2005 at 10:32 PM. Reason: to make sense after deleting previous post

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    Damn straight, if Laura is right.....

Hahahahahahahah Gletsos Hahahahahahhhahhaha Gletsos Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Gletsos you crack me up!! Gilligan where are you?

Cheers Fg7

CC Candidate Master

Rubbish. We where waiting to here the result of our request for a fair appeal. When we received the email from the NSWCA council today, we decided to withdraw. None of us know the result of the St.George vs. Canterbury match yet.

Andrew -

Are you able to grant me exclusivity on some aspects of this issue? May I remind you that Bill is a mod on here. He is a definite threat to your cause on this board. Just as there was a perception of bias in the appeals process, there is equally that perception here insofar as his moderation of this board is concerned.

Any moment now his mod mates will pipe in. Let us prepare for war. My blog is at your service.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    Gilligan where are you?

Cheers Fg7
    do you mean me?

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Andrew -

Are you able to grant me exclusivity on some aspects of this issue?
    If thereís anything to be exclusive about but we just want everything out in the open so everyone knows everything that has happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar

May I remind you that Bill is a mod on here. He is a definite threat to your cause on this board. Just as there was a perception of bias in the appeals process, there is equally that perception here insofar as his moderation of this board is concerned.

Any moment now his mod mates will pipe in. Let us prepare for war. My blog is at your service.

AR
    Well we will see but I would certainly hope the NSWCA pres is not so ashamed of the councilís actions he would feel the need to censor the BB to stop people learning whatís happened.

Thread Information