Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

2004 Doeberl Cup

The Italo-Australian Club 42nd Doeberl Cup is on at Easter (Friday 9 to Monday 12 April). Some information supplied by the organisers can be found at

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan...erlCupInfo.htm

(or go to http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/ and follow the link).

I'm just the intermediary so don't ask me difficult questions, see the above address for details on entries, contacts etc.

Most details are the same as previous years but two changes are that the Premier is restricted to players rated over 1600, and the organisers are hoping to have the top board on-line.

CC Candidate Master

Re: 2004 Doeberl Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    The Italo-Australian Club 42nd Doeberl Cup is on at Easter (Friday 9 to Monday 12 April). Some information supplied by the organisers can be found at

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan...erlCupInfo.htm

(or go to http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/ and follow the link).

I'm just the intermediary so don't ask me difficult questions, see the above address for details on entries, contacts etc.
    The site says
    "Players must be members of their State association, or must join ACTCA. "

How do Victorians normally meet this clause? Only Clubs are members of CV. :?

C

CC FIDE Master

Re: 2004 Doeberl Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Commentator

The site says
    "Players must be members of their State association, or must join ACTCA. "

How do Victorians normally meet this clause? Only Clubs are members of CV. :?

C
    They can't and therefore their entries will be refused, unless a special General Meeting is called before Easter and the CV membership scheme is changed to something sensible. :^o

CC International Master
    Previously I expect the organisers have deemed a member of a VCA-affiliated club to meet the intent of this provision, but if the MCC dispute had not been resolved this could have been an interesting point.

Of course there is plenty of time for another argument to flare up.

I'm so excited! I've got me plane ticket booked. This will be my first Doeberl. I hope ACT people will be hospitable and have good vibes. Unlike 'em bloody Victorians!

AR

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I'm so excited! I've got me plane ticket booked. This will be my first Doeberl. I hope ACT people will be hospitable and have good vibes. Unlike 'em bloody Victorians!

AR
    arosar,
    ChessGuru has already advised you that you are welcome to be a party-starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuru
    Arosar – partying/dancing I will have to admit is going to be difficult to come by .. .
    So, arosar, would you be interested in being on a social committee to get more social things going? I’d be happy to have the help!
    ACT hospitality? We are reading the entry rules to see if Mexicans can get into the Doeberl. :shock:

starter

I was only joking matey. I had in mind fg7 who always seems to give off bad vibes.

Anyways, that business about entry rules is partly your fault ain't it?

AR

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I was only joking matey. I had in mind fg7 who always seems to give off bad vibes.

Anyways, that business about entry rules is partly your fault ain't it?

AR
    AR
    You would be welcome in Melbourne 'arosar'. But that may just be meta-talk.

The business about the entry rules is not even at the level of a storm in a tea-cup. I am sure that ACT will let us in.
    Partly our fault?
    Probably. Let's face it, we did build a rail-line to Albury only to find you coming with a different gauge. We shoulda realised what was coming.

starter

CC International Master
    One day I would love to play in the Doberl

I am a commited christian and so each easter i have to go to church and remember Jesus

If only Doberl was played in an another long weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by chesslover

I am a commited christian and so each easter i have to go to church and remember Jesus

where in the bible did god tell you not to play weekend chess?? 8-[

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peanbrain

err...church, bible study, medidation over the Easter week....

no time for chess while I am doing all of these

CC FIDE Master

Of course if ChessLover really was a committed Xtian, rather than just being a big hairy thing that lives under a bridge and scares unwary travellers, then he would have been able to point Peanbrain to the 4th commandment "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Of course if ChessLover really was a committed Xtian, rather than just being a big hairy thing that lives under a bridge and scares unwary travellers, then he would have been able to point Peanbrain to the 4th commandment "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."
    Of course that would probably rule out all weekenders, not just he Doeberl.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun

That was uncalled for, and nasty :x . I am not hairy at all (unless you call my hair on my head hairy - but even then it is cut short), and I do not live under the bridge (I have a house), and I dont know what you are talking about as I really would not scare unwary travellers..

Now can we get bck to the topic - which was the Doberl Cup?

PS - it is only the Jews, and some christrian groups like the 7 day adventists, that observe the sabbath. Not much of a christian are you, not knowing this?

CC Candidate Master
    Actually, ChessLover, Jesus himself was fairly hairy fellow, judging by all the Hollywood movies of him that I've seen. And i think that's fairly plausible: after all, when you've got only a couple of years to save the world I doubt that shaving was one of his priorities. So don't know worry about that three-day growth - it's not sinful. (For that matter, Jesus is also the sort of bloke who seemed to enjoy a tipple: wine features fairly prominently iin the Gospel. Maybe if they'd have had TAB's in those days he would have laid a couple of bets, as well. )

Jesus, I imagine, would have looked a fair bit like Bin Laden . Or Yasser Arafat Maybe even Saddam Hussein, but with the moustache a little ragged. Certainly much more like them than the suspiciously "fair" types leading Israel these days (something's not kosher, I suspect). If he'd been around today, no doubt Jesus's the sort of guy who'd be stopped at the airport and asked to justify himself. Apparently, having a beard is a risk factor for terrorism, according to the sophisticated folk at US airports.

And ChessLover I think you should apologise to ShaunPress for those hurtful remarks questioning his christian credentials. :shock:
    cheers - paulb

Thread Information