CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

Melbourne Chess Club Under 2000 and Under 1600

Hello everybody,
    I made the mistake of posting this in the Melbourne Calendar thread and so will place it here in greater prominence:

Melbourne Chess Club under 2000 and under 1600
    Hi Everybody,

Below are the details of the next Melbourne Chess club tournament, I would welcome any questions from anyone about them, and as such please feel free to contact me,

all the best, God Bless, Macavity

Under 2000 and Under 1600;
    7 round Swiss events
    Mondays at 7.00 pm starting 11th July to 22nd August
    Time control: 90 minutes + 60 seconds a move
    Entry fee: $45 Working, $35 Non-Working, less $5 MCC Members

Our next Monday night event/s are ratings limited events, the under 2000 and under 1600. I remember that many years ago the first event I played at Melbourne on a weeknight was the under 1600, and it was a nice way to start playing at Melbourne, as it avoided the large number of very much stronger players at that first outing. I consider also that events such as these give aspiring juniors the chance to bring home a tournament first rather than merely a category or rating prize.
    any inquires can be directed to the club on 9416 3149 or Malcolm Pyke on 9789 9727.
    Alternatively, should someone PM me, I will pass on the information to the relevant person,

take care all, and God bless,
    Macavity

Hi Everyone, a somewhat smaller than expected field turned up to play the Melbourne chess club Under 1600 and under 2000 events.

Although both tournaments were intended to be 7 Round swiss events, insufficient numbers led to the under 1600 group being a round robin, although none of the players seemed that worried.

In the under 2000, an upset win on Board 1 against Richard Voon by Paul Kovacevic has led to the field being thrown wide open, although second seed Marcus Raine played a nice game against Richard McCart, and turned his king into a nomadic wanderer with a piece sacrifice. On the other boards, Tom Kalisch and Alex Kaplan played a game where the moves were few but the tension was high, but eventually Tom's persistence in attack only led to a perpetual check. Adel Ghobrial and Barbaros Kara played an offbest open sicilian and soon had a type of symmetrical structure; Adel's pawns were doubled and isolated on both side of the board, and Barboros's pawns were connected on both sides of the board!! In any case, Barboros must have made Adel's weakened king count after I had left, though he already looked to well and truly have the upper hand. The game between Bob Brooking and Marcus Ogden was an exchange Queen's Gambit and via an unfortunate move sequence in the opening, Bob lost his b-pawn to a Qb3 idea, I didn't see a lot of the rest, but it seems that Marcus held on to his pawn and converted it.

Mark Robert's responded to 1.c4 with a Dutch Stonewall against Adam Lovegrove, and seemed to make a breakthrough of some sort on the kingside via a temporary pawn sacrifice, ...f5-f4, and then looked to have excellent play, and went on to win.

In the game Papadinis - Beattie, we are yet to have a first move! that is because both players requested a first round postponement, so the result will be available later.

In the under 1600, as the field turned into a round robin, the players drew for seeding by lot, as is proper.

Jean- Luc Tambasco seemed to make progress fairly quickly, and was about three pieces up at the end of the game.
    Nikola Ivanov seemed to be in some sort of French-ish position against Jean Watson; unfortunately her d5 pawn had migrated to e4 via a recapture early on and it proved too difficult to hold onto the pawn in the long run, which it was, as Jean complicated nicely by looking for good moves throughout, but to no avail, with Nick eventually breaking through on the f-file I think.
    Jake Kostrzewa abd Elliott(Tasso) Renzies played some sort of Modern/Pirc type of thing, where the queens left the board early, and they eventually arrived in a Rook and pawn ending with Tasso having an extra h-pawn, which again I can only presume was the later conversion factor, as he went on to win.

I will post the round two pairings for the under 2000 when I find out about what the players plan to do with the postponed game, and will follow this post by another post showing the entire pairings for the Under 1600,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Under 1600 Round 1 results

Code:
     1 Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [0]      1:0    Ben Henzgen          [0]  
     2 Jake Kostrzewa    1298 [0]      0:1    Elliott Renzies 1466 [0]  
     3 Nick Ivanov       1451 [0]      1:0    Jean Watson          [0]

Under 2000 round 1 results

Code:
    1 Richard Voon    1901 [0]      0:1    Paul Kovacevic  1684 [0]  
     2 Richard Mc Cart 1682 [0]      0:1    Marcus Raine    1897 [0]  
     3 Tom Kalisch     1829 [0]     .5:.5   Alex Kaplan     1601 [0]  
     4 Adel Ghobrial   1597 [0]      0:1    Barboros Kara   1728 [0]  
     5 Marcus Ogden    1699 [0]      1:0    Robert Brooking 1512 [0]  
     6 Adam Lovegrove  1438 [0]      0:1    Mark Roberts    1695 [0]  
     7 Jim Papadinis   1788 [0]       :     Roger Beattie   1705 [0]

Complete Pairings for MCC Under 1600 2005

Hi Everybody,
    as previously mentioned, the under 1600 is a round robin event, so here are the complete pairings:

Code:
    Round 1

1 Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [0]      1:0    Ben Henzgen          [0]  
     2 Jake Kostrzewa    1298 [0]      0:1    Elliott Renzies 1466 [0]  
     3 Nick Ivanov       1451 [0]      1:0    Jean Watson          [0]  

Round 2

1 Ben Henzgen            [0]       :     Jean Watson         [0]  
     2 Elliott Renzies   1466 [1]       :     Nick Ivanov    1451 [1]  
     3 Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]       :     Jake Kostrzewa 1298 [0]  

Round 3

1 Jake Kostrzewa 1298 [0]       :     Ben Henzgen            [0]  
     2 Nick Ivanov    1451 [1]       :     Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]  
     3 Jean Watson         [0]       :     Elliott Renzies   1466 [1]  

Round 4

1 Ben Henzgen            [0]       :     Elliott Renzies 1466 [1]  
     2 Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]       :     Jean Watson          [0]  
     3 Jake Kostrzewa    1298 [0]       :     Nick Ivanov     1451 [1]  

Round 5

1 Nick Ivanov     1451 [1]       :     Ben Henzgen            [0]  
     2 Jean Watson          [0]       :     Jake Kostrzewa    1298 [0]  
     3 Elliott Renzies 1466 [1]       :     Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]

Take care, God Bless, and stay well everyone,
    Macavity

Quote Originally Posted by macavity
    In the game Papadinis - Beattie, we are yet to have a first move! that is because both players requested a first round postponement, so the result will be available later.
    as long as it is actually played

We will see how the dice roll...

Garvin about those dice and those games,
    Very d-roll, very d-roll

Take care, and nice to see people reading with an observant eye,
    God bless and stay well, Macavity

under 2000 round 2 pairings

Hi Everyone,
    as it seems that the postponed game is not to be played this week,
    here are the round 2 pairings

Code:
    Round 2 pairings

1 Marcus Raine    1897 [1]       :     Marcus Ogden    1699 [1]  
     2 Barboros Kara   1728 [1]       :     Mark Roberts    1695 [1]  
     3 Paul Kovacevic  1684 [1]       :     Tom Kalisch     1829 [.5] 
     4 Alex Kaplan     1601 [.5]      :     Jim Papadinis   1788 [0]  
     5 Roger Beattie   1705 [0]       :     Richard Voon    1901 [0]  
     6 Robert Brooking 1512 [0]       :     Richard Mc Cart 1682 [0]  
     7 Adam Lovegrove  1438 [0]       :     Adel Ghobrial   1597 [0]

Round 2 Results and postponed result and round 3 pairings

Hello everyone,

Sorry about the numerous delays,but have been distracted by much chess playing myself of late,

The second round of the MCC Under 2000 and Under 1600 continued to produce surprising results on some of the boards.

Marcus Raine as White against Marcus Ogden, chose the wrong moment perhaps to transfer into an open sicilian, and fell foul of a ...Nf6 x e4 tactic, which ultimately cost him a pawn.

On Board two, Barboros Kara was unfortunate in that he played his prepared line out of sequence, and simply ended up material down against Mark Roberts, who eventually converted his advantage into a full point in the ending.

The game between Tom Kalisch and Paul Kovacevic was another interesting one in that Paul managed to inflict large scale dark square weaknesses early in the game, and according to Tom the game ended when he " Won a pawn, but lost a Queen!!"

Alex Kaplan although arriving late, was soon in a very simplified position, but Jim Papadinis' knight displayed disturbing amounts of activity, and eventually won a couple of pawns, which was enough.

Beattie and Voon seem to play a Stonewall type position often these days, only this time Roger was White and so the game was a Stonewall attack for a change! Neither side exchanged pawns off for a very long time, although the structure was slightly altered owing to pawns recapturing pieces.
    I seemed to have been only away a minute or two, but it must have been longer, as by the time I returned, almost all pieces were gone, but the remaining Black Q+N were so much better than the white Q+B, ( though it is fair to note, black also was the proud owner of a pair of massive passed pawns on c2 and b3, which were always going to cost white something big).
    Richard won shortly thereafter

Robert Brooking seemed to have misplaced a rook early in the evening against Richard McCart, and the game concluded in Richard's favour before long.

In the game between Adam Lovegrove and Adel Ghobrial, it was not until long after the 20 minutes left mark had been passed, that Adam noticed the fact that the clock was not adding on the increment each move, which was quickly ascertained to be since the start of the game. The times were adjusted on another clock, and the game continued, but Adam lost a key pawn and was unable to save what may have been an unsaveable position, but often knight endings are subtle and things are harder to predict.

In the Under 1600, new club members Ben Henzgen and Jean Watson reached what looked like a fairly equal ending, but things can go wrong in any position, and Ben went on to win.

Elliot Renzies was able to play a pawn such that it became a passed pawn on d6 very quickly, and Nick Ivanov shortened the game by taking this pawn a little bit before he was properly ready, which in turn lost the queen ( for starters ) to an attractive looking knight fork.
    The fact that Nick took the pawn so quickly may be due to his suspicions that perhaps he might not be able to take it for much longer, which may be correct.

The time control for this tournament is 90 minutes + 60 seconds a move, but we see the two extremes of people with time trouble, and those with almost the full compliment of time at the end of the game.

The game between Jean-Luc Tambasco and Jake Kostrzewa, seemed to keep a lot of time from the start in absolute reserve, and they both seemed to have heaps of time at the end of the game, but it seemed that Jake had ended up with at least a couple of very useful extra pawns, and as there were only kings and pawns left, that was basically the end of the matter.

The postponed game I only know the result of, and can give no more than the result, which will be appender immediately below, along with last rounds results and next round's pairings,

Very tired, take care God Bless, Macavity

Postponed round one game

Code:
    7 Jim Papadinis   1788 [0]      1:0    Roger Beattie   1705 [0]
    Round 2 results
    Code:
     1 Marcus Raine    1897 [1]      0:1    Marcus Ogden    1699 [1]  
     2 Barboros Kara   1728 [1]      0:1    Mark Roberts    1695 [1]  
     3 Paul Kovacevic  1684 [1]      1:0    Tom Kalisch     1829 [.5] 
     4 Alex Kaplan     1601 [.5]     0:1    Jim Papadinis   1788 [1]  
     5 Roger Beattie   1705 [0]      0:1    Richard Voon    1901 [0]  
     6 Robert Brooking 1512 [0]      0:1    Richard Mc Cart 1682 [0]  
     7 Adam Lovegrove  1438 [0]      0:1    Adel Ghobrial   1597 [0]
    Round 3 pairings

Code:
    1 Mark Roberts    1695 [2]       :     Jim Papadinis  1788 [2]  
     2 Marcus Ogden    1699 [2]       :     Paul Kovacevic 1684 [2]  
     3 Richard Voon    1901 [1]       :     Barboros Kara  1728 [1]  
     4 Adel Ghobrial   1597 [1]       :     Marcus Raine   1897 [1]  
     5 Richard Mc Cart 1682 [1]       :     Alex Kaplan    1601 [.5] 
     6 Tom Kalisch     1829 [.5]      :     Roger Beattie  1705 [0]  
     7 Robert Brooking 1512 [0]       :     Adam Lovegrove 1438 [0]
    take care once again, M

oh and PPS, here is round 3 of the under 1600 to save you scrolling up

Round 2 results

Code:
    1 Ben Henzgen            [0]      1:0    Jean Watson         [0]  
     2 Elliott Renzies   1466 [1]      1:0    Nick Ivanov    1451 [1]  
     3 Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]      0:1    Jake Kostrzewa 1298 [0]
    Round 3 pairings

Code:
    1 Jake Kostrzewa 1298 [1]       :     Ben Henzgen            [1]  
     2 Nick Ivanov    1451 [1]       :     Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]  
     3 Jean Watson         [0]       :     Elliott Renzies   1466 [2]
    MX

Round 3 Results and Round 4 Draw

Hello everyone,
    I seem to make this apology in each new post, so in precis form: computer troubles, broken modem, some access now, sorry for the delay.

Well, as with all events, it is at times hard to predict some results, and certainly even to a very late stage in some of the games, the results were looking remarkably like being a complete reverse of the final one established..

Code:
     1 Mark Roberts    1695 [2]      1:0    Jim Papadinis  1788 [2]

The game between Mark Roberts and Jim Papadinis was a Four Knight's Belgrade Gambit. Mark tried a "thematic" piece sacrifice on h6, which was in an earlier position than usual, and although he captured a second pawn after '1'Nxh6+ gxh6 '2' Bxh6, Jim's reply of '2'...Bxf2+ meant that he only got one pawn owing to a knight check on g4 if he took on f2. This balance of material persisted for a long time, and was still in evidence when I left at about 11.30 pm, although as I recall, Mark had at some stage got a pawn a long way up towards queening which was undoubtedly annoying Jim. The story from the President of the Cat Empire, Mr Gatto, is that Jim blinked and allowed an unfortunate surprise checkmate! So Mark was very lucky!!
    Code:
     2 Marcus Ogden    1699 [2]      1:0    Paul Kovacevic 1684 [2]
    This was a Nimzo Indian, where the middle of the board became incredibly closed for a long time. I definitely know that the white pawns on c4, d5, e4, f5, g4, h4 vs Black pawns on c5, d6, e5, f6, g5, h6 did not allow a lot to happen early. I think the first form of resolution came via a timely '1'h4 x g5 when Paul was forced to recapture with '1' f6 x g5, as the Rh8 had only the Queen and the King guarding it, which in turn pinned the h-pawn to it as White's rooks had doubled earlier on the closed h- file; very Nimzovitchean!
    As time went by, Paul achieved the break ...b7-b5, but this in the long run was not quite enough, and Paul's activity died out, and the extra material that Marcus had collected won the game for him.
    Code:
     3 Richard Voon    1901 [1]       P : P     Barboros Kara  1728 [1]
    Voon is up north helping his sister out with her flat, and this game was not played, nor will be before the next round.

Code:
     4 Adel Ghobrial   1597 [1]      0:1    Marcus Raine   1897 [1]
    When I walked past this board, the first thing that I really noticed in the position was the opposite coloured bishops in the middlegame. I had cause to notice this especially in this instance as Marcus had a similiar position in interclub a few days beforehand, and had won very nicely, after in that case checking the king all the way to g5, (and that is a white king mind you!!).
    The situation was a bit different here in some ways, but not others. Marcus' bishop was the better of the two, and Adel's lack of development, and lack of good ways of doing so, eventually cost him either horrendous amounts of material, or Checkmate, so he resigned after about 25-30 moves.

Incidentally, Marcus attributes his love of these opposite bishop positions to Taimanov who according to Marcus seemed to play a lot of them in his career.

I also know that this material balance was of great interest to the Russian Vladimir Simagan, and was the subject of an article entitled "Opposite coloured bishops in the middlegame" in Positional Play by Dvoretsky and Yusopov.

Code:
     5 Richard Mc Cart 1682 [1]     .5:.5   Alex Kaplan    1601 [.5]
    This game was a King's Indian type position, though more of an open type than a mountain range type. Black's pieces looked poised to infiltrate the numerous dark square weaknesses in white's position, but as the game eventually ended in a draw, I guess that I did not see as much as those playing, which is hardly surprising.

Code:
    6 Tom Kalisch     1829 [.5]     1:0    Roger Beattie  1705 [0]

This was a very interesting game; a King's Gambit! I recently read a book review for a new book on this opening which suggested that unless after 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 white played 3.Bc4, black would easily equalize, a quote that was attributed to Bronstein. This opening variation was the one that featured in this game, which I will post after this report, and is very pleasing as a spectacle; White played the whole game with the Rh1 unmoved! and this was not so significant as at least 3 of the Black pieces, the Rh8,Bf8 and Ra8 never moved!! The Ra8 disappeared on this square with check late in the game, and Black was facing a mate in one in the end position.
    Code:
     7 Robert Brooking 1512 [0]     .5:.5   Adam Lovegrove 1438 [0]

This game ended quickly, and appeared to be some sort of Queen's gambit structure, though I have a feeling it started as some sort of Colle, where Black had exchanged his light square bishop for a knight, the queens had been exchanged early, and a draw was agreed soon after.

An interesting round all up, with its share of adventures.

The Under 1600 also featured some lively, and some less lively games.

Code:
     1 Jake Kostrzewa 1298 [1]      0:1    Ben Henzgen            [1]
    This game showed how cruel chess can be. The position remained balanced in this game for a long time, with more and more pieces traded as time went by, and a 4 rook ending was eventually reached. Visiting Polish player Mariusz Pecak is a friend of Jake, who is his countryman, and I had suggested to Mariusz that the game was looking very drawish, as the rooks had all looked to leave the board along an open central file where they all had an interest in controlling, and the pawn ending appeared to be easily held. Mariusz went in to the tournament hall to have a look and came back and told me that Ben was about to queen a pawn by force! I went in, saw that it was true, and when the game ended in short order afterwards, I watched Mariusz and Jake analyse to see what had occurred. It seens that all the rooks did leave the board, and a miscalculation in the pawn endgame meant that Ben had been able to set up a pawn cascade which forced the creation of a passed d- pawn, which was eventually queened. A great shame for Jake, he was quite shattered, but a credit to Ben, as he was playing with a black eye, which looked very sore, as he had been hit in a pub brawl in which he was not involved by some one unknown to him the weekend before.

Code:
     2 Nick Ivanov    1451 [1]      1:0    Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]

This game shows how the coaching group at Melbourne on Saturday mornings run by Nick Speck is producing some well rounded juniors, as Jean-Luc had developed a very satisfactory position, with great chances quite early on. Alas for Jean-Luc, Nikola is a wily club blitz player, and he must have managed to create play on the queenside of sufficient nature to win, as early on I had thought that the pawn that Jean-Luc had installed on h3, coupled with his light squared bishop, which I think Nikola was without, would lead to great checkmating chances. Not to be this time, but the fact that such a position had been set up by Jean-Luc speaks well for his future.

Code:
    3 Jean Watson         [0]      0:1    Elliott Renzies   1466 [2]
    Elliott Renzies has yet to drop any points in this event, and he quickly managed to create great difficulties for Jean in her quest to develop. An oversight based on not realising that her queen was overworked cost Jean a piece soon, as when Elliott captured a piece on d2 in the early stages, Jean's queen could only recapture at the cost of the Ra1, as she was uncastled, and Elliot's queen was I think on c3. The game ended not long after, which is understandable really, as even Grandmasters find it difficult to play on in piece down positions.

Hence in the under 2000, Mark Roberts and Marcus Ogden share the lead from the rest of the field of a point, each having 3/3.

In the under 1600, Elliott remains unbeaten on 3/3, and also enjoys a point between him and the field.

Here are the round 3 results, though a bit less chopped up, and the round 4 draw for each tournament,

Take care all and God Bless,
    Macavity

Code:
    Under 1600 Round 3 results

1 Jake Kostrzewa 1298 [1]      0:1    Ben Henzgen            [1]  
     2 Nick Ivanov    1451 [1]      1:0    Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]  
     3 Jean Watson         [0]      0:1    Elliott Renzies   1466 [2]
    Code:
    Under 1600 Round 4 Pairings

1 Ben Henzgen            [2]       :     Elliott Renzies 1466 [3]  
     2 Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]       :     Jean Watson          [0]  
     3 Jake Kostrzewa    1298 [1]       :     Nick Ivanov     1451 [2]

Code:
    Under 2000 Round 3 results

1 Mark Roberts    1695 [2]      1:0    Jim Papadinis  1788 [2]  
     2 Marcus Ogden    1699 [2]      1:0    Paul Kovacevic 1684 [2]  
     3 Richard Voon    1901 [1]      P : P    Barboros Kara  1728 [1]  
     4 Adel Ghobrial   1597 [1]      0:1    Marcus Raine   1897 [1]  
     5 Richard Mc Cart 1682 [1]     .5:.5   Alex Kaplan    1601 [.5] 
     6 Tom Kalisch     1829 [.5]     1:0    Roger Beattie  1705 [0]  
     7 Robert Brooking 1512 [0]     .5:.5   Adam Lovegrove 1438 [0]

Code:
    Under 2000 Round 4 Pairings

1 Mark Roberts  1695 [3]       :     Marcus Ogden    1699 [3]  
     2 Jim Papadinis 1788 [2]       :     Paul Kovacevic  1684 [2]  
     3 Marcus Raine  1897 [2]       :     Tom Kalisch     1829 [1.5]
     4 Barboros Kara 1728 [1]       :     Richard Mc Cart 1682 [1.5]
     5 Alex Kaplan   1601 [1]       :     Richard Voon    1901 [1]  
     6 Adel Ghobrial 1597 [1]       :     Robert Brooking 1512 [.5] 
     7 Roger Beattie 1705 [0]       :     Adam Lovegrove  1438 [.5]

Take care again, M, and NB Kalisch-Beattie game to follow.

What a lot to catch up on!! let's start with Round 4...

Hello everyone,

Fair admission, I have not updated this in almost a month. Still better late than never, though can only go as far as my memory allows, or in the case of the postponements, often only the results

Code:
    Round 4

1 Mark Roberts  1695 [3]      1:0    Marcus Ogden    1699 [3]  
     2 Jim Papadinis 1788 [2]      1:0    Paul Kovacevic  1684 [2]  
     3 Marcus Raine  1897 [2]      1:0    Tom Kalisch     1829 [1.5]
     4 Barboros Kara 1728 [2]      0:1    Richard Mc Cart 1682 [1.5]
     5 Alex Kaplan   1601 [1]     .5:.5   Richard Voon    1901 [1]  
     6 Adel Ghobrial 1597 [1]     .5:.5   Robert Brooking 1512 [.5] 
     7 Roger Beattie 1705 [0]      1:0    Adam Lovegrove  1438 [.5]
    Code:
    1 Mark Roberts  1695 [3]      1:0    Marcus Ogden    1699 [3]
    This game was a Smith morra declined which turned into a 2c3 Nf6 variation and was an interesting spectacle as Mark managed to sack a few pawns and eventually, though I'm not quite sure how, enticed Marcus Ogden's queen to h8, behind pawns on h6 and g7!! In any case, one of Mark's rooks arrived on the 7th shortly thereafter attacking Marcus's king, which as I recall had been wandering from one side of the board to the other during the game and was at this point on the queenside. I had to leave to go home beforehand and what actually happened I am unsure of, but Mark went on to win.

Code:
    2 Jim Papadinis 1788 [2]      1:0    Paul Kovacevic  1684 [2]
    I imagine that this game was some form of queen's pawn game as that is generally what Jim plays, but missed the actual opening. It was however a game full of excitement, as Paul was a piece up with little left on the board, and looked likely with careful play to have great chances of converting.
    I think that it wass simply a miscalculation involving perhaps a rush of Blood to the head, but from having Q+R+B v Q+R, Paul thought he saw a way to checkmate Jim by leaving the rook behind, and attaking Jim's weakened light squares around his king ( f2/g3/h2 type of setup and Paul had a light square bishop). However it turned out that Jim had time to prevent the mate owing to a(? maybe more) check to Paul's King, leaving him with Q+R v Q+B, which he duly converted.

Code:
    3 Marcus Raine  1897 [2]      1:0    Tom Kalisch     1829 [1.5]
    In all truth I must admit that I don't remember much about this game, not sure why, but will ask Marcus and post the story later.

Code:
    4 Barboros Kara 1728 [2]      0:1    Richard Mc Cart 1682 [1.5]
    Barboros and Richard played a modern defence that turned into a strange sort of Dragon after a much delayed c7-c5 and c5xd4. In any case, a miscalculation cost Barboros his queen, which I think may have started with ...Nf6 x e4, opening for the Bg7 onto b2, where the black queen was in the neighbourhood, and only by giving up the queen could mate be forestalled, but not avoided. A peculiar component of this game, at least optically, was Barboros's tripled pawns on the b-file at one point, and I won't swear to it, but they may in fact have been on b2, b3, and b4!! Not something you would see everyday!
    Code:
    5 Alex Kaplan   1601 [1]     .5:.5   Richard Voon    1901 [1]
    One of Richard Voon's numerous postponements owing to being interstate, this was played on a night that I was not at the club, and I only know the result.
    Again a story will be told if it can be ascertained.

The other postponed game from Round three:

Code:
    3 Richard Voon    1901 [1]      0:1    Barboros Kara  1728 [1]
    Is also one with no story as yet.

Back to Round 4

Code:
    6 Adel Ghobrial 1597 [1]     .5:.5   Robert Brooking 1512 [.5]
    This game was interesting to me in that it was one of the very few occasions that someone has asked me how often can their opponent offer a draw.
    Bob has a lot of draws compared to other people, and had offered one about every 7 moves or so, being mindful that the position is very even.
    I mention Adel's concern's and afterwards hear that Adel has finally offered one back, which Bob naturally accepted.

Code:
    7 Roger Beattie 1705 [0]      1:0    Adam Lovegrove  1438[.5]
    Another stonewall attack type thing from Roger, and he made it work quite a bit better than against Voon, and eventually had a mountain range of pawns that at first reached as far as g5 and e5 (this had been on f4) , and then after placing a knight on f6, had one there too, as the Black f7-g6-h7 ish position was without it's Bg7, and though the knight was exchanged, there was still no hope with Adam's postion cut in two.

Under 1600

Code:
    Round 4

1 Ben Henzgen            [2]      0:1    Elliott Renzies 1466 [3]  
     2 Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]      1:0    Jean Watson          [0]  
     3 Jake Kostrzewa    1298 [1]      0:1    Nick Ivanov     1451 [2]

Code:
    1 Ben Henzgen            [2]      0:1    Elliott Renzies 1466 [3]
    Ben is a nice chap and had managed to find out that Tasso played a lot of games where his bishop ended up living on g7, and as such had a look at some ideas in these positions.

The position looked a lot like a Maroczy at some stage, but Ben lost a pawn and Elliott also had the two bishops, which led to bigger and bigger things, and a win. At this stage, this result guaranteed Tasso a share of first, as he still lead those closest to him by a full point, being still on a perfect score.

Code:
    2 Jean-Luc Tambasco 1050 [1]      1:0    Jean Watson          [0]
    Whatever type of opening this began as, it soon looked like a Milner Barry French where the Dark square bishops were gone early, and white had lost the d4 pawn as usual. The game progressed along normal lines, pieces were exchanged, but Jean-Luc hung in there and managed to keep his knight, which came to live on d4, at least at first, and had left Jean with the dreaded French light squared bishop, which in turn led to significant activity for Jean-Luc, and an eventual win, and may have been the longest ( time wise ) game he has ever played.

Code:
    3 Jake Kostrzewa    1298 [1]      0:1    Nick Ivanov     1451 [2]
    This game started as an English, and the exchange on c3 via Bf8-b4 x c3, answered by I think bxc3 led to difficulties for Jake with his position and it's coordination. I think Nick won a pawn some time before move thirty, and may in fact have been able to leave the pawns on c4 and c3 all by their lonesome.

Nick went on to win, and I am not surprised that Jake was unhappy as he is working hard on his game at the moment and is hoping for some good results ( don't we all!!)

Anyway, I must have a short break before moving on to Round 5 of these events

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    These game reports are realy great. Personally, I am not reading all of them because I do not know the dudes. However, if the same types of reports were there from NSW games between players I know, I would be picking the eyes out for them. Furthermore, I reckon there might be a few of us who would like to write our own match report on our own games and have the same NSW poster post them here.

Hi Matt, I be mexican you know, and we not quite understand whether are calling me welsh?

well done papadinis to win the under 2000 .

Final standings in advance of Reports on individual rounds

Hi Everyone,
    I guess that I will have to post the full results at this point as I do not have time right now to do the round by round reports at this moment
    Code:
    Final Standings Under 1600

1   Renzies, Elliott             1466 5     10.00    5
      2   Ivanov, Nick                 1451 3.5    5.25    3
      3   Henzgen, Ben                      2.5    3.75    2
      4   Tambasco, Jean-Luc           1050 2      3.50    2
     5-6  Kostrzewa, Jake              1298 1      2.00    1
          Watson, Jean                      1      0.00    0

Code:
    Final Standings Under 2000

1   Papadinis, Jim             1788 5.5      20.5  28.5   22.5
     2-3  Roberts, Mark              1695 5        21.5  27.5   24.0
          Raine, Marcus              1897 5        20.0  27.0   20.0
     4-5  Ogden, Marcus              1699 4.5      20.0  27.0   20.0
          Voon, Richard              1901 4.5      17.0  22.5   14.0
     6-7  Mc Cart, Richard           1682 4        20.5  27.5   16.0
          Kovacevic, Paul            1684 4        18.0  24.0   16.0
     8-9  Kalisch, Tom               1829 3.5      18.0  24.5   11.5
          Kara, Barboros             1728 3.5      15.0  20.5   15.5
    10-11 Kaplan, Alex               1601 3        21.5  28.5   12.0
          Beattie, Roger             1705 3        15.5  21.5    9.0
    12-13 Brooking, Robert           1512 1.5      16.0  21.0    5.0
          Ghobrial, Adel             1597 1.5      14.5  20.0    8.0
     14   Lovegrove, Adam            1438 0.5      16.5  23.0    2.5

Take care all and God Bless, Macavity

Promised game

Hello everyone,
    here is the game that I promised some time ago
    White: Thomas Kalisch
    Black: Roger Beattie

PGN Viewer

A wild game, I'm sure you will agree!!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by macavity
    A wild game, I'm sure you will agree!!
    V.Nice! I've never been game to play that variation as White, but maybe I'll give it a run some time ...
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Thread Information