View Poll Results: All other things being equal (middlegame, no compensation) about when do you give up?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Two pawns down

5 6.41%
  • Piece down

16 20.51%
  • Rook down

15 19.23%
  • Queen down

6 7.69%
  • Opponent has several pieces, you only have pawns

5 6.41%
  • Only when mate is imminent

18 23.08%
  • Always play on til mated

13 16.67%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I was behind a few pieces and did about 4 more saks if accepted would be a draw stalemate or something. The opposition's mate let out a laugh on the last sak which I took as a sign to his mate that something was up - I abused the spectator for five minutes after his mate woke up to it. They did not show up again for months. If an important game think of everything and anything.

CC International Master
    Not resigning until you are obviously lost is the right strategy. What I find amusing is that some titled players become incredibly obsessed when you do not resign (They think not resigning is fine for them though.). When I played my first gm in the Doerbel 2001, that was Djuric, I had an equal position until some point where I blundered a pawn. Then the position quickly started getting worse. At some point I had a rook for a queen and all pawns on one side. It was a lost position but I still had very little drawing chances (mostly if the opponent blunders). Finally when he exchanged the queen for the rook and got obviously winning pawn ending I resigned.

By that time he was just fuming. Some other guy was watching a game on the next table standing about half a meter close to Djuric (I suspect it was Arosar, I could be wrong though.). The gm pushed him away and cried loudly for a few minutes. Then after the game he told people from his community that I am a very bad guy. I know that because some of them approached me afterwards asking what happened.

Well, I am possibly a bad guy, but probably not because I did not resign early.

It is also a very common feature on the ICC. Many title players believe they have a right that others resign immediately.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drug
    Not resigning until you are obviously lost is the right strategy. What I find amusing is that some titled players become incredibly obsessed when you do not resign (They think not resigning is fine for them though.). When I played my first gm in the Doerbel 2001, that was Djuric, I had an equal position until some point where I blundered a pawn. Then the position quickly started getting worse. At some point I had a rook for a queen and all pawns on one side. It was a lost position but I still had very little drawing chances (mostly if the opponent blunders). Finally when he exchanged the queen for the rook and got obviously winning pawn ending I resigned.

By that time he was just fuming. Some other guy was watching a game on the next table standing about half a meter close to Djuric (I suspect it was Arosar, I could be wrong though.). The gm pushed him away and cried loudly for a few minutes. Then after the game he told people from his community that I am a very bad guy. I know that because some of them approached me afterwards asking what happened.

Well, I am possibly a bad guy, but probably not because I did not resign early.

It is also a very common feature on the ICC. Many title players believe they have a right that others resign immediately.
    lol, u have the right to resign whenever u want. It is not against the rules of chess.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-09-2006 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonasMuller
    lol, u have the right to resign whenever u want. It is not against the rules of chess.
    But if the board already shows a mate to your opponent and he is claiming it while you may want your resignation before he makes that move well who wins?

CC FIDE Master

resigning

In correspondence chess I believe that you should always resign at any level if you are a clear piece behind for no compensation.

In OTB chess it's a bit more complicated. I played on 3 times in the Vic open in positions where I might have resigned. In one I was a pawn behind for no compensation whatsoever. But I got my opponent to do about 30 moves of hackwork to force a promotion and then I resigned. In another one I had a positionally lost endgame [ conceding absolute seventh and bishop stuck behind a pawn] and played on for another 10 moves to see if my opponent could finish it off; when he was about to get a new queen I resigned. But in the last game of teh event I was in a worse position still. I was down a clear exchange [ rook for knight] with no compensation and he had doubled rooks on my seventh. But I thought that he may be a bit tired in the final round and about 20 more moves followed in which my position remained ...disastrous... I felt some optimism taht I wasn't getting any worse..

But then I saw something. If I pushed my pawn I created the possibility for him to check and I could respond by a discovered check when my king uncovered my rook and I would...win a rook... For someone of an entirely honest bent who couldn't bluff in poker for all the tea in China I somehow managed to keep a straight face and pushed teh pawn like so. He fell for it I didn't know whether to feel like a chessplayer or some sort of sadist. Even then with me being the exchange up there werea few pitafalls to avoid but IU won soonafter. So, I seemed to get one point out of three "resignable" positions. I haven't got the score of teh game on me but, believe me, my position was REALLY bad when I got teh swindle.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    But if the board already shows a mate to your opponent and he is claiming it while you may want your resignation before he makes that move well who wins?
    what???? what are you trying to say?

CC FIDE Master

evil ones

Jonas. Take no notice of Anti Christ's devilish propaganda. Its infernal, diabolical nature is designed to confuse you.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasMuller
    what???? what are you trying to say?
    I think Peter was thinking of the following scenario:

You're opponent has the move and there is a mate in 1. You notice it before he makes his move but after you clock.

Now lets say you want to resign to prevent the indignity of being mated on the board but your opponent wants to play the mating move for the dignity of mating you.

Which counts? Can you resign while you do not have the move?
    _________

5.1 (b) states, "The game is won by the player whose opponent declares he resigns. This immediately ends the game."

Therefore I would say if you can blurt out a declaration of resignation before the opponent makes his move, then the resignation stands and the indignity of checkmate is prevented. Of course sensibe people don't worry about such trivialities.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

belated resignation

Hello everyone,

Here is a game where I refused to write down the word "resigns" on the score sheet. It is fair enough to play on to see whether your opponent can give mate, but very wrong to resign one move away.

Event: Melbourne Chess Club
    Site: ?
    Date: 2004
    White: A, Nother
    Black: Macavity
    Result: 0-1
    ECO: A43
    [
    PGN Viewer

My opponent did not actually make move 101, nor write it on his score sheet, but I did on mine.

History shall see whether I ever get corrected on this.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

compare and contrast

hello, again, everyone,

in contrast I offer these two games:

Event: Melbourne Chess Club
    Site: ?
    Date: 2003
    Round:
    White: Else, Someone
    Black: Macavity
    ECO: B70

PGN Viewer

Date: 2006
    White: Not me
    Black: Me
    ECO: A45

PGN Viewer

There are some that would argue that in the first game, my position was hopeless for many moves, and they would be right.

I won both of these games by not resigning,

I would say that there are a lot of things to be said for not giving up too soon,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

I have been known to resign, against titled players I often will

Against anyone else it depends on their attitude. If they are looking disgruntled about my playing on, I keep going. If they are looking relaxed and happy and looking forward to mating me I like to deny them the pleasure.

If they are winning because I blundered horribly I play on to the end as a way of punishing myself.

Generally though, I have seen so many beautiful swindles that I nearly always play on to the death.

CC Grandmaster
    There is a point in playing on if there are swindling chances...Otherwise....hm..against a strong player its a wast of time

Banned Hydra
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    There is a point in playing on if there are swindling chances...Otherwise....hm..against a strong player its a wast of time
    Totally! also if you are playing someone under 1800 there is always a 10% chance they will make a mistake and give back material before they checkmate .Average players who resign a piece down against someone the same rating are not fighting so why bother playing

When down material, I play on until I get bored with getting my arse whipped
    "the other lefty"

Does this qualify? Black to move.

FEN Viewer
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Thread Information