View Poll Results: All other things being equal (middlegame, no compensation) about when do you give up?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Two pawns down

5 6.41%
  • Piece down

16 20.51%
  • Rook down

15 19.23%
  • Queen down

6 7.69%
  • Opponent has several pieces, you only have pawns

5 6.41%
  • Only when mate is imminent

18 23.08%
  • Always play on til mated

13 16.67%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Yogi Berra was the guy who said, "It isn't over till it's over." If he'd been talking about chess instead of baseball he may well have had something like this position in mind. It's attributed to Alekhine who was supposed to have been playing a simul at the time.

Who knows? The story might even be true.

In the diagrammed position black, with the move but faced with Qh8#, resigned.

FEN Viewer

Alekhine offered to reverse the board and continue. His opponent agreed and the game continued, 1 ...Rh4, 2. Nxh4 Qc3. Once again faced with the threat of mate on the move the opponent resigned. Once again Alekhine offered to reverse the board. The game concluded 3.Qh8+ Kxh8, 4. Ng6+ Kg8, 5. Rh8#.
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

When to resign ?

Hi everyone

Just wondering when people think it is proper to resign. It was noticed recently that I resigned a position that a lot of other people may have played on in. The position was one of a double rook ending, my position had a few more weaknesses than the opponents, my rooks were passively defending pawns, and I was a pawn down. Is it unusual to resign here ? I was playing against a peer, not someone 3 rating divisions below me.

I have seen some (most juniors) play on a couple of queens down. A couple of months ago a player played on against me a queen and a rook down and no realistic chance of jagging a stalemate. I look at that bloke differently now.

I can remember when I was a junior playing against english GM Ray Keene in a simul. We all lost but Ray paid tribute to John Myers (a childhood hero of mine) by saying 'he was the only one who knew when to resign'. I would like to think I now know when to resign too.

I was wondering what other chesschatters think ?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeL
    Hi everyone
    Hi George, I merged your post with the existing thread on this subject (which was several pages back).

It was noticed recently that I resigned a position that a lot of other people may have played on in. The position was one of a double rook ending, my position had a few more weaknesses than the opponents, my rooks were passively defending pawns, and I was a pawn down. Is it unusual to resign here ? I was playing against a peer, not someone 3 rating divisions below me.
    I just about never resign double rook endings unless the opponent has a clear and immediate forced mate or promotion. They are full of perpetual check and stalemate swindle chances even when your position seems "dead lost". Generally if you find yourself in a lost position like the one you describe forget the pawns; give up as many as the other side wants if there is a way to activate your rooks and try to get a perpetual.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Hi George, I merged your post with the existing thread on this subject (which was several pages back).

I just about never resign double rook endings unless the opponent has a clear and immediate forced mate or promotion. They are full of perpetual check and stalemate swindle chances even when your position seems "dead lost". Generally if you find yourself in a lost position like the one you describe forget the pawns; give up as many as the other side wants if there is a way to activate your rooks and try to get a perpetual.
    Thanks Kevin, I didn't remember your thread. I respect your view too. Cheers George

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeL
    Thanks Kevin, I didn't remember your thread. I respect your view too. Cheers George
    It was over a year old so was well back in the list before you joined. Luckily here if someone starts a thread and that thread already exists we can just run the two together so everyone can see all the previous discussion.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozy
    Yogi Berra was the guy who said, "It isn't over till it's over."
    Oh yeah... I only resign if I can't win.

CC Grandmaster
    Its good to fight on while there is still life in the position. But once it gets to the point when the outcome of the game becomes obvious, it is simply impolite to play on. There is a certain Australian IM who played against me many pieces down a number of times. In one particular instance i believe he was a queen, rook and a bishop down but neverthless he played on...

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

..But that good?!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Its good to fight on while there is still life in the position. But once it gets to the point when the outcome of the game becomes obvious, it is simply impolite to play on. There is a certain Australian IM who played against me many pieces down a number of times. In one particular instance i believe he was a queen, rook and a bishop down but neverthless he played on...
    ...but HE is a very strong endgame player!

CC Candidate Master

A queen down, I guess.

I ask, is the win obvious to both of us? Sometimes I play on a piece down, sometimes I resign a pawn down--it depends on the position.

In 2 out of my last 10 games I resigned because:

1. Game #1: My opponent had an obvious mate-in-four.
    2. Game #2: K+P vs K, and my opponent knew the endgame.

Today, I almost resigned a bishop down, but played on and won!
    The Endgame Tactician - http://likesforests.blogspot.com/

In the last few weeks I have seen a few resignations by weaker players who were dead lost on the board but with significant chances of a draw (or even if the opponent was really uncompromising a win) on time. Whether they simply did not consider the clock as an option, or whether they considered it but didn't feel like playing on for honour reasons, I don't know.

In the weekender last week I almost made a meal of a completely won game. Alastair Dyer played on against me queen and pawn for rook down for ages in the endgame. I was wondering why on earth he hadn't resigned ... then almost fell into a stalemate trap! (58...b1?? 59.Rxb1! would have been even more embarrassing than all the floundering around in the rest of the ending!)

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 12-02-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Interestingly that board stops at move Kg1 and wont progress to the b1Q+ move.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Yes, in this PGN viewer b1Q doesn't work and has to be changed manually to b1=Q. I often forget. Fixed now.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    ...but HE is a very strong endgame player!
    If you are a queen, rook and a piece down..being a strong endgame player does not help. I saw him playing like that against other IMs and even GMs

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    If you are a queen, rook and a piece down..being a strong endgame player does not help. I saw him playing like that against other IMs and even GMs
    Maybe he likes endgames so much, he is willing to enter them ,even if his opponent is still in the opening or middle game!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    Maybe he likes endgames so much, he is willing to enter them ,even if his opponent is still in the opening or middle game!
    lol

Thread Information