View Poll Results: All other things being equal (middlegame, no compensation) about when do you give up?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Two pawns down

5 6.41%
  • Piece down

16 20.51%
  • Rook down

15 19.23%
  • Queen down

6 7.69%
  • Opponent has several pieces, you only have pawns

5 6.41%
  • Only when mate is imminent

18 23.08%
  • Always play on til mated

13 16.67%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Well in my last game of competitive chess I apparently resign to early so I am not one to judge. One interesting invident occurred to me in a rapid game when I chose to play on to allow a much stronger player a nice mate which I had blundered into in the early middlegame. I had seen the mate and then moved the rook I had just told myself I shouldn't have. It was a 4 or 5 move mate involving a sacrifice and he had to move his Bc1-h6 to deliver mate, but accidently picked up his bishop on c2, completed the move, realised what he had done, and moved the c1 bishop. I allowed him to do it because I probably should have resigned and he would have been dead lost if I had forced him to play the wrong bishop.
    Another time I resigned when my opponent had about 7 seconds to deliver a 4 move mate in an allegro game. It was won of the strangest games I have ever played with game being so locked out of the opening I was just playing moves for the sake of moving while he tried to create something. I then decided to move my queen, because I had not moved it for awhile forgetting it was protecting a knight. He only just managed to break through to win from a piece up.
    Scott

CC Rookie
    I don't like players who resign too early. Some players get a kick out of resigning early thinking it shows their chess prowess. Others do it thinking it shows their sportmanship or something. Others resign early simply out of spite. Personally, I admire a fighting to the finish attitude, whether I'm the one doing it, or it's my apponent. Fair enough if you're a grandmaster, or are absolutely confident you can alway read the intracacies of a position and never make mistakes, but otherwise, set your Resign-o-Meter to the "never say die" setting, and fight on, even if it's just so you can get some much needed endgame practice in.

And there's no point to resigning in a Blitz game unless it's dead obvious it's over. If there are ever going to be major blunders it'll be in a Blitz game, and it would only be a few seconds of wasted time anyway.
    Last edited by b1_; 24-07-2005 at 01:39 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    It is easy to work out when to resign, it is when you reach the point that to play on would be worse than resigning. Isn't that enlightening?
    Very deep.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b1_
    I don't like players who resign too early. Some players get a kick out of resigning early thinking it shows their chess prowess. Others do it thinking it shows their sportmanship or something. Others resign early simply out of spite. Personally, I admire a fighting to the finish attitude, whether I'm the one doing it, or it's my apponent.
    For me, the earlier my opponent resigns, the better

While the game is still going, there is always a chance I might lose, even if I am 2 queens and a rook up

Now you sound like James!

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    Now you sound like James!
    Really, that's interesting. James seems to have plenty of confidence and I imagine would have no problems finishing off won games. I, on the other hand, tend to relax when I am winning and have let a few opponents off the hook for no explicable reason.

sounding more and more like him. But from a lost position?
    Herr schwindler.

You could probably summarise my play as follows:

I don't believe in opening preparation so I'll play a different random opening each game.

1) Usually I reach the middlgame with a slightly inferior position in which case I put my head down and start looking for tactics and swindles.

2) If, by some miracle, I have an advantage out of the opening, I start looking out the window, chatting to onlookers and going for walks, in which case, I inevitably revert to 1) above.

George!!! you are his long lost twin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    You could probably summarise my play as follows:

I don't believe in opening preparation so I'll play a different random opening each game.

1) Usually I reach the middlgame with a slightly inferior position in which case I put my head down and start looking for tactics and swindles.

2) If, by some miracle, I have an advantage out of the opening, I start looking out the window, chatting to onlookers and going for walks, in which case, I inevitably revert to 1) above.
    Do you have the same attitude to girls when you have them on the ropes?

[QUOTE=Kevin Bonham]
    I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on when to resign, stories about premature resignations or times when you were just about to resign but pressed on and won, etc. QUOTE]

FEN Viewer

This position occured in game between Igor Bjelobrk (white) and Bruce Watson in the New Zealand Zonal in January. Watson, to play, resigned. He missed 37...Qxg2+ 38. Bxg2 Re1+ 39. Bf1 Rxf1 mate
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

[QUOTE=Dozy]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on when to resign, stories about premature resignations or times when you were just about to resign but pressed on and won, etc. QUOTE]

FEN Viewer

This position occured in game between Igor Bjelobrk (white) and Bruce Watson in the New Zealand Zonal in January. Watson, to play, resigned. He missed 37...Qxg2+ 38. Bxg2 Re1+ 39. Bf1 Rxf1 mate
    Ouch. I guess it's just another missed combination, but it must be particularly painful when the move one plays instead of the brilliancy is "Resigns".

CC Rookie
    This position never actually took place. It was just a possible continuation in my game that came up on the digital board during analysis. I played Bc4+ which forces mate, instead of Qd7

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    In one of my fairly early tournament games, my opponent, rated about 1400, resigned in a position which I much later found to my surprise had been a forced win for him.
    Actually looking at this one again, it looks like I could still have drawn. Tricky rook ending. Here it is:

FEN Viewer

I had just played 44.f6 and my opponent figured that he couldn't stop my f-pawn and resigned. In fact if I just ram the pawn home I lose, eg 44..g4 45.f7 (45.Kxh6 Rxf6+ 46.Kg5 Rf2 -+) g3 46.Kg7 h5 47.f8Q+ Rxf8 48.Kxf8 h4 49.Rg1 Ke5 -+. However it looks like I could still have drawn after 44...g4 45.Re3! h5 46.f7 h4 47.Re4!

(I also once resigned a won game, but that was in blitz. Shocked that my opponent had forced mate in 2 when I thought I was totally winning, I rolled my king over instead of noticing that his last move had been illegal. )

CC Grandmaster
    I wouldn't resign a piece (or exchange) down in the middlegame. Some of my best attacking chess has come when down in material, and 'forced' to attack my opponent's king.

On the other hand, I think dragging it out until checkmate is tedious if the win is obvious and the opponent is not a mug.

I would probably resign if a clear rook down, and no compensation (and no opportunity for a sensational mating attack or perpetual).

Thread Information